Gb Priming Rate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yard glass

Reaction score
gday all,

I've got a GB in the bucket that calls for Bulk Priming with 130gm Caster Sugar and 750ml Buderim Ginger Refresher.

Any ideas on gm per litre this ends up at ? Not quite sure how to work it out.

Volume in the fermenter is 22lt before priming.

thanks
yardglass

Maybe the amount of sucrose is listed on the bottle. Add to the sugar and devide by 22 maybe.

Saw some great advice on a AHB GB thread a while back.

"The trick with GB is to bottle it just before fermentation has finished, then drink it before it explodes"! :D :D

thanks screwtop,
should've looked i spose :rolleyes:

it reads 12.6gm sugar per 100ml (avg).

multiply this by 7.5 = 94.5gm.

add to 130gm caster sugar = 224.5.

divide by 22 = 10.2gm per litre priming rate.

this sound a bit too much?

bottling in PET.

cheers
yard

I bulk primed mine with 130g caster sugar and 250mL Buderim Ginger Refresher - I wouldn't want it any more carbonated than it already is. At this level, it's soft-drink level fizzy.

I'm a conservative primer, but I too am bulk priming some ginger beer today (1 alcoholic, 1 not). Actually I am helping my assitant brewer bulk prime her ginger beers :) , in preparation for the festive season.

The alcoholic is getting about 7g per litre.

The softie will get a little higher, more like 8.5g per litre.

Most of my real beers only get 4-5g a litre nowadays, but the ginger is basically a fizzy drink, soft or not so soft.

2 minutes to midnite :ph34r:
awrabest, stu

bindi,
thanks for the link.

NRB,
did the numbers on yours and it comes out at just over 7gm which sounds better. cheers.

wee stu,
thanks, looks like 7gm is the go.
cheers.

wee stu said:
The softie will get a little higher, more like 8.5g per litre.
[post="93555"][/post]​

Before anyone expresses concern for the welfare of my daughter and me, I did not bulk prime the softie at this rate!

As I was getting the priming fermenter ready I saw the error of my ways and left the basic kit and 150g of sugar we had used alone, to provide more than enough carbonation by Xmas, without unwanted explosive repercussions.

Not that everything went smoothly. My little bottler wouldn'f fit into the snap lock type tap I now use in all my brewing fermenters, so I had to rack it into the bottling fermenter with the old screw tap. Then we turned our backs :excl:

A few minutes later, we returned our backs - only to find about 11 litres of icky sticky ginger beer had flooded all over the family room floor. Bugga!

Still it turned into a very useful lesson in brewing for the apprentice, and a valuable reminder to me of the reason I turned to snap lock taps :lol: .

One minute to midnite :ph34r: :ph34r:

Latest posts

Back