Gassing Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homekegger1

Reaction score
I recently kegged a summer wheat and carbonated for about 30 hours. Ever since All I get is head whenever I try to pour a beer. This is starting to annoy me. Not sure what I should do.

Any help in this matter would be apprieciated.

Thanks in advance

Craig

:beer:

What pressure did you have the gas at?

If you want to get rid of the gas shake the keg lots, leave it for 30mins and pull the release valve, then follow that procedure over and over again untill there is no gas coming out of the solution.

Then you need to gas the keg again, try 300Kpa for 24 hours and try it.. if it's not enough just hit it with 300Kpa for another half a day untill you get the right carbonation.

homekegger1 said:
I recently kegged a summer wheat and carbonated for about 30 hours. Ever since All I get is head whenever I try to pour a beer. This is starting to annoy me. Not sure what I should do.

Any help in this matter would be apprieciated.

Thanks in advance

Craig

:beer:
[post="107814"][/post]​

Craig,

Shakes & release if in a hurry, but the simple way is just leave the relief valve open overnight - test tomorrow - if still over carbonated, repeat...

cheers Ross

Muga,
I gassed at 300 KPA for the 30 hrs. Was a little longer than I was planning but had a huge night and forgot about it for a while.

Ross,
There is no rush so I might give your idea a go.

Thanks guys.

Cheers and beers

Craig

I carbonate my kegs at 4 degrees for 30 hours @ 300kpa and have never had a problem, they always come out just how I want them.. other than that I connect them at 85kpa (serving pressure) and leave them for a couple of weeks.

muga said:
I carbonate my kegs at 4 degrees for 30 hours @ 300kpa and have never had a problem, they always come out just how I want them.. other than that I connect them at 85kpa (serving pressure) and leave them for a couple of weeks.
[post="107888"][/post]​

When you finish carbonating the beer @ 300kpa, do you release the pressure in the keg first, then set your dispensing pressure. Or do u just set the dispensing pressure and then serve. im just curious wht is the best way of doing it.

Cheers

rooboy said:
When you finish carbonating the beer @ 300kpa, do you release the pressure in the keg first, then set your dispensing pressure. Or do u just set the dispensing pressure and then serve. im just curious wht is the best way of doing it.

Cheers
[post="107890"][/post]​

RELEASE FIRST - or you'll be wearing it :D

Yep, theres nothing quite like pouring a beer @ 300kpa.. :D

I leave mine gassing at 300kpa for at least 24 hours, turn the pressure right down and pour. The first night pouring in excellect... 2nd night is a little heady, and as time progresses the pours get more and more head until near the end of the keg the pour is almost al head! Very frustrating! I turn my dispensing pressure down to as low as I can pour with. Anyone shed light on my problem?

new2kegbrew said:
I leave mine gassing at 300kpa for at least 24 hours, turn the pressure right down and pour. The first night pouring in excellect... 2nd night is a little heady, and as time progresses the pours get more and more head until near the end of the keg the pour is almost al head! Very frustrating! I turn my dispensing pressure down to as low as I can pour with. Anyone shed light on my problem?
[post="107951"][/post]​

N2KB,

To help shed a little light on the problem - What temp is your serving fridge set to at & what pressure are you pouring at?

cheers Ross

Why not force carbonate? I work at a micro-brewery and we individually carbonate each keg and the job is done in under 15 minutes per keg.

The beer is cold, the keg is cold, 400kPa on the regulator and then shake the keg.
This waiting for days is too tedious and unreliable and if you have the smallest of undetectable leaks you lose your CO2.

tdh

N2KB,

To help shed a little light on the problem - What temp is your serving fridge set to at & what pressure are you pouring at?

cheers Ross
[post="107954"][/post]​
[/quote]

Hi Ross,
My fridge generally sits at about 1 - 2 degrees, and I have recently been dispensing at between 10 - 20 kpa. I used to dispense at 30 - 40 kpa and dropping the pressure has helped the problem, but only slowed the problem down. What do you suggest?

:beer: N2KB

Ross said:
but the simple way is just leave the relief valve open overnight - test tomorrow - if still over carbonated, repeat...

cheers Ross
[post="107828"][/post]​

I recommend trying this, when I started kegging I had huge troubles but once I learnt this little trick I have not had an overgassed keg since..

Latest posts

Back