Gas Usage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmsy

Reaction score
Im going to put down my 1st full Ag this weekend have moved from stove top partials. The question i have is that i only have a 3.7kg bottle. It has the rite connection for the hi pressure reg i have. Will this do me for the weekend as i dont have the cash this week to go buy a 9kg untill next week. I will be using a nasa burner. So do you think i will get away with it??? Also is there any way i can convert a old car lpg cylinder to use as its a whole lot cheaper to buy lpg then bbq gas

I have a 4.5Kg gas bottle, a medium adjustable reg and the Italian Spiral burner and I would get at least 3 brews out of it.

Regards

Graeme

3.7kg will be fine. I have a rambo with a medium and not a nasa but I get about 9 double batch brews from a 9kg bottle. Therefore about a kg of gas a brew. I'm not shy with the throttle either so even if you have twice the consumption of my rambo you should walk it in.

As for converting an old car LPG gas tank I wouldn't have clue but to my mind I would be taking out a good life insurance policy. :icon_cheers:

Chappo

Edit: Grammmar

I have 2 nasa's on my rig ,,, I normally have a 100lb'er on my brewery , but just recently I've been useing the 9kg swap an get going bottles... I got 5 X 45lt brews out of one and then cooked a couple of bbq on what was left...

should not have a prob getting 2 brews from yours ....

cheers

Thansk heaps guys! Im glad i wont get stuck on the weekend

Depends where you are for the car lpg. Lpg is a mixture of propane and butane I forget which one now but one produces co1 or carbon monoxide which is lethal in confined spaces so there for only the goood gas goes into bbq bottles. But out in the country rather than cart 2 types of gas about they just use bbq gas in cars as well.
Another problem to over come is that care lpg tanks are liquid withdrawl not vapour so you will freeze your reg. Its something that could be over come but if your asking these questions you obviously dont have the knowledge or experience to be dicking with it and you should leave it alone.
Lpg expands 280 times its volume in the atmosphere ,is heavier than air, can be ignited from a 3v torch battery spark and goes bang when it goes so its not to be taken lightly. Facts that my brain has retained since lpg fitting at trade school 17 years ago.
My point is that some one who is confident in doing this will get away with it but people who dont know enough are probably making a bomb. If you tick the boxes I will help you further. :beer: Greg

Also is there any way i can convert a old car lpg cylinder to use as its a whole lot cheaper to buy lpg then bbq gas

You're such a nice guy Dave - why would you want to kill yourself?

Depends where you are for the car lpg. Lpg is a mixture of propane and butane I forget which one now but one produces co1 or carbon monoxide which is lethal in confined spaces so there for only the goood gas goes into bbq bottles. But out in the country rather than cart 2 types of gas about they just use bbq gas in cars as well.
Another problem to over come is that care lpg tanks are liquid withdrawl not vapour so you will freeze your reg. Its something that could be over come but if your asking these questions you obviously dont have the knowledge or experience to be dicking with it and you should leave it alone.
Lpg expands 280 times its volume in the atmosphere ,is heavier than air, can be ignited from a 3v torch battery spark and goes bang when it goes so its not to be taken lightly. Facts that my brain has retained since lpg fitting at trade school 17 years ago.
My point is that some one who is confident in doing this will get away with it but people who dont know enough are probably making a bomb. If you tick the boxes I will help you further. :beer: Greg

I know the process on how car lpg is turned into a gas so yeah it was a stupid question. I didnt even think about that. And it sounds way to hard to be done. I prob could be done but its sounds alot easier and more efficient to use the normal bbq bottle

You're such a nice guy Dave - why would you want to kill yourself?

Awww shuks cheers mate. Im sure i have a few enemys that could answer that hahaha

Its just annoying the price difference in gas.

Its just annoying the price difference in gas.

When looking at the price diff

1 Kg = 1.985 litres

At BCF here we get a 9kg refil for $19.90
2.21 per kg
or about 1.12 Litre (rounded)
About twice the price of LPG at the bowser.

But when you take into account an average say 1KG per brew.
BCF = $2.21
Bowser = $1.10

Only a bit over $1 per brew for the diff in cost.

I looked at setting up an adapter so I could refill my LPG bottle at the bowser (or at the time fill from my LPG car)
But by the time I took into account the setup cost it was not worth it. (not to mention the risk factor)

Hope this helps

QldKev

Back