Gas Bottle For Kegerator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidearm

Reaction score
Hi,
been reading AHB for a while but never had a reason to comment as i'm only a newbie in homebrewing. Just made the plunge and bought myself a Kegerator "system". I say "system" because i was told everything was included. Of course he forgot to mention that the gas is an ongoing cost because it's a rental. The CO2 is $36 for a 10Kg bottle and $13.25/month. It's not really that much i know but i'd rather put that $ towards more beer if i can help it. I estimate that the bottle will last me at least 3 years easy. I know there's a few keggers out there :) so can you tell me what you've done in regards to CO2?

- Are you renting or own outright and why?

appreciate any comments on the matter.

Thanks,
des

just buy it outright,i have the smallest one 2.6kg or there roundabouts cost me $300 but its mine and only $20 to swap and go,lasted me about 3-4 months with a three tap set up but had a slight leak on one of my gas in posts a month ago,so lost a bit and you'll use more gas than you think cause you can.

I own outright.

I guessed that my gas bottle cost me around $130/yr to rent, plus the money for refilling and I was refilling maybe once a year. Given that I'd rented the bottle for about 5 years, I'd shelled out around $700 on the gas. It was an easy decision to buy a new bottle for $350, made economic sense in the long run.

Check out mykegonlegs for cylinders and locations.

I've got a converted fire extinguisher (tube removed), 2kg. There was a table of calculations on here about how many corny kegs it would carb & dispense and after at looking at that I was more than happy with that size. It also fits on the compressor hump of my keezer and refills are ~$20 from memory. Couldn't be happier as it was less than $100 to buy outright and had been retested/certified so has plenty of life left...

i got my bottle from supagas $160 outright 6KG(last christmas)..also got a standby 540g cost me $50..
something like this might suit you

im shoping for a bottle at the moment and the 2.6kg from ebay is the best deal i can find. I have pushed supagas quite firmly, but they state the DO NOT sell CO bottles, only rent. im not desputing where you got yours but at the moment the official line seems to be no sale.

im shoping for a bottle at the moment and the 2.6kg from ebay is the best deal i can find. I have pushed supagas quite firmly, but they state the DO NOT sell CO bottles, only rent. im not desputing where you got yours but at the moment the official line seems to be no sale.

I have this 2.6kg ebay bottle.
Seems a good buy, a mate of mine bought his locally in perth and paid about $300 for a tiny bit larger bottle.

He was spewing.

Cheers
D80

Where are you located, btw?

Hi Kaiser, i'm in Adelaide. I think you've all convinced me. Makes sense in the long run. It'll take less than two years before i start saving compared to renting it.
Been searching some more and apparently CeaseFire in Hindmarsh are good so might give them a ring and see what their prices are like. Might give brewcraft in Modbury a call too while i'm at it :) otherwise that 6kg bottle on ebay is the go.

One more question guys, what's the maintenance (test) schedule on these gas bottles here in Australia? i've been told 5 years but that one on ebay suggests it's 10 years.

Thanks for all the info :)

Latest posts

Back