Garden Hose water - is it so bad?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so assuming garden hose = bad - is there concerns with filling my pot straight from the outside tap? or should I be running buckets out to my kettle from inside the house?

FWIW I used to do this ^^ most of the time with no noticeable (to my palate) difference. I now fill cubes with hot water from inside and take to the garage/brew area but only have done this to reduce the time it takes to get to mash in temps.

Crofty said:
so assuming garden hose = bad - is there concerns with filling my pot straight from the outside tap? or should I be running buckets out to my kettle from inside the house?

Outside tap water is the lowest grade water supplied to your house.

The best is kitchen water, if you can't use that then bathroom water is ok, but laundry water is pretty rank and garden tap water is pretty much only good for splashing on the plants and giving to the dog to drink.

Just try it with a glassful from different taps, you'll see.
If you have a sink in the toilet, don't try drinking out of that.

Insist on kitchen water.

punkin said:

The best is kitchen water, if you can't use that then bathroom water is ok, but laundry water is pretty rank and garden tap water is pretty much only good for splashing on the plants and giving to the dog to drink.

Insist on kitchen water.
I concur.
Nev

theres different water at your house? Pretty sure I have only the one supply coming in... am I missing something here? :blink:

The water out of the kitchen tap tastes a lot better than the bathroom at my place. Suspect it's because it gets the most use therefore cleaner pipes?

Same at my place Yob. All comes in at one spot and then is distributed through the house through an uncomplicated series of copper pipes. I drink water from all taps (inside and out) and it all tastes the same to me.

punkin said:

Insist on kitchen water.

At last a sensible and informative post in this thread.

Batz

Ah why not!

Batz do you remember those experiments? Turns out bathroom water is the best choice for washing beer glasses.

Screwy

Screwtop said:
Ah why not!

Batz do you remember those experiments? Turns out bathroom water is the best choice for washing beer glasses.

Screwy

I had almost had forgotten about that Screwy, that's the whole reason we moved the dishwasher into the bathroom.

OK thanks guys.

I was not aware of this, best I start filling buckets from the kitchen in future.

When I'm looking towards filters, do you guys have any guidance for me towards what I should look for? just starting to think about the water, so anything to put me in the right direction would be great!

Dave

My water tastes the same from all my taps inside and out. Same for the water supply.

My water tastes the same out of all the indoor plumbing. I wouldn't use the outdoor tap due to the crappy degrading gal pipes, but I fill up via the blue food grade hose from the laundry tap, which tastes identical to my kitchen tap.

Over the last couple of years I think Perth water has been replaced with lightly filtered mud, so point of fill is irrelevant.

But I do draw the line at filling from the toilet.

Green garden hose makes your beer taste like green garden hose.

How do you find out if your outdoor water supply is different/the same as your indoor supply? I'm sure our house only has one point of entry for water.

Trying to determine whether to avoid outdoor water altogether (really inconvenient) or just replace the house with a food grade hose.

s_t_r_o_b_e said:
How do you find out if your outdoor water supply is different/the same as your indoor supply? I'm sure our house only has one point of entry for water.

Trying to determine whether to avoid outdoor water altogether (really inconvenient) or just replace the house with a food grade hose.

Couple of ways,

if it is from a source you would need 2 water meters, or a dual meter setup. They are not going to supply water for free. Also I think they would have to mark non-drinking water?
otherwise if it's from a rain water tank it is mandatory (in Qld) for the tap to be clearly marked as rain water. In my place I have one outside tap, my washing machine tap and toilets are all rain water.

My place definitely only has one water for everything that rain water is not connected to.

QldKev

Yob said:
theres different water at your house? Pretty sure I have only the one supply coming in... am I missing something here? :blink:

Yes, you're missing something ;)

Listen guys, just try the experiment and report back if you can taste the difference. Maybe chew a water cracker in between tastings and leave it say 10 mins.
Then list your results as;

Kitchen water 1-10?;
Bathroom water 1-10?;
laundry water 1-10??
Outside water 1-10?;
toilet water (from the vanity, not the toilet) 1-10?;

We'll collate the lot and see how large the differences are. Maybe get your families or mates involved and do a blind tasting?

I suspect that those who are saying they can't taste a difference are not doing it scientifically enough.

Batz said:
I had almost had forgotten about that Screwy, that's the whole reason we moved the dishwasher into the bathroom.

I just wish i could give this post ten likes.

Back