Garden Hose water - is it so bad?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batz said:
I had almost had forgotten about that Screwy, that's the whole reason we moved the dishwasher into the bathroom.
Been meaning to ask, since you're solely on tank water, do you add a little baking soda to the water in your tanks??

Screwy

Screwtop said:
Been meaning to ask, since you're solely on tank water, do you add a little baking soda to the water in your tanks??

Screwy

I find a cuttlefish bone in each tank works well. Of course I still would never brew from the laundry or toilet water.

Batz said:
I find a cuttlefish bone in each tank works well. Of course I still would never brew from the laundry or toilet water.
I threw a few lumps of pumicestone into my big tank, but the bloody stuff floats.

Batz said:

I have heard many times about the cuttlefish bone in the tank, a lot of people use it. Since we are so far from the coast i've just used a store bought Loofah for the tank, but i don't know if it does the same thing to soften the water. I hadn't thought of pumice, but we can't get that round here anyway.

Do you think the Loofah is a good idea Batz, i might PM you to see if i can get some cuttlefish bones, could probably swap for some Roo ball's or something.

There must be a million uses for Roo Balls :blink: :lol:

There's not a lot of resources round here, roadside apples oncea year is about it. Not as if we can walk along the beach and find pumice and cuttlefish and half pairs of thongs.

Roo balls are just about legal currency west of the Divide.

Dont you throw a dead rabit in the tank........oh hang on, that may be the septic tank..:)

QldKev said:
Will I get botulism from using the wrong hose?

Or the wrong tap, chances are quite high Kev.

punkin said:
Roo balls are just about legal currency west of the Divide.
LOL. Only in Soviet Russia (and the Bush) can you exchange Rooballs for alcohol.

QldKev said:
Only if it goes into your cube first....

QldKev said:

That can happen if you get seepage from your septic tank into your water tank. A more common problem than people realise.

Anyone who has read the last couple pages of this thread might not be surprised.

punkin said:
That can happen if you get seepage from your septic tank into your water tank. A more common problem than people realise.

That's why you can have the bottom of your tank lead lined, keeps septic seepage at bay. It costs a bit yes, but hey best to stay fit and healthy.

Back