Garden Hose water - is it so bad?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GalBrew said:
Most civilised people aren't on tank water.
Oh here we go, I suppose you got one of them refrigerators as well??

QldKev said:
These are the filters that I've recently replaced my fridges filter with. I don't think they are as good as the genuine one (by my taste test, but the wife and kids have not commented). 5 filters for the price of 1 genuine is pretty good. I'm waiting for some fittings to convert one to a hose setup for my brewery. Then every-time the fridge tells me to replace the cartridge I can also do the brewery.
So one of these makes a noticeable difference to your beer, Kev? I really need to get a filter, but brewery cash is hard to come by. It's pretty similar to this one- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Single-10-caravan-boat-inline-water-filter-with-brass-garden-hose-connector-/221275061419?pt=Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3385057cab

I worked installing water services for years. Most places have potable/nonpotable supplies.
If you only have one service coming into your property it's been done on the cheap. The thing you have to worry about is which main is it connected too?
The kitchen water main, or the recycled toilet water main? I know we were spossed to connect to both, but when we were in a hurry or some cheaparse only paid for one connection we just connected to the closest one to save money. :ph34r:

punkin said:
I know we were spossed to connect to both, but when we were in a hurry or some cheaparse only paid for one connection we just connected to the closest one to save money. :ph34r:
Now hearing THAT made my glass of water taste funny.

I read an article somewhere last year about a guy who shit out a massive parasite as big as his fist. It was linked to a recycled water connection that was incorrectly plumbed to his house.

I'll see if i can find the story.

punkin said:
I worked installing water services for years. Most places have potable/nonpotable supplies.
If you only have one service coming into your property it's been done on the cheap.
Is that Australian standard to have 2 supplies to dwelling? Every house I have lived in has only had one meter/supply. The places that also had tank water had another tap at the sink.

The other service runs straight in, it's a bypass system, so it still registers on your meter.

Batz said:
Even if your on tank water??

I wonder since you are serviced with only rain water does your place have a house filter for the incoming water. Then the outdoor taps and toilets etc bypass the filter, whilst the kitchen etc is fed via the filter, hence the difference in quality.

Every single urban property on the Sunshine Coast has only 1 water supply to the house. New or old, it makes no difference.

From the water metre, it goes to your house in black poly (with blue stripes), once at your house, it then gets distributed to various parts of the house.

Water from your rainwater tank is only to be used for flushing the toilet, washing machine and external garden taps.

Taps inside your house have got identical water no matter where they are.

At Caboolture and no doubt other areas, there are 2 water supplies to the house. One in black poly with blue stripes (drinking) and one with purple stripes (flushing etc).

I guess the only reason for outside water tasting different, is perhaps the length of time sitting in the pipes if it used infrequently. I know our house is all piped from one main inlet, and distributed around the house using identical pipes. That seems to be the standard way of doing it in NZ.

AndrewQLD said:
The water from ALL my taps, front outside, back outside, laundery, bathroom and kitchen all taste EXACTLY the same.... like shit.

That's why I filter all my bewing and drinking water. In my town it all comes from the same place, the meter out the front

Dare say you were a friday afternoon connection :drinks:

punkin said:

Bundy does not use recycled water into our houses, hence the confusion earlier.

punkin said:
So that's why it tastes so bad.
Although Kev is right in his quote below, so it seems different areas/States have different water supply requirements.

QldKev said:
Bundy does not use recycled water into our houses, hence the confusion earlier.

punkin said:
If you only have one service coming into your property it's been done on the cheap. The thing you have to worry about is which main is it connected too?
The kitchen water main, or the recycled toilet water main? I know we were spossed to connect to both, but when we were in a hurry or some cheaparse only paid for one connection we just connected to the closest one to save money. :ph34r:
When I lived in Rockhampton QLD we didnt even have a meter, god only knows what I was drinking from those lead pipes ?
Oh and it was a hot spot for renal failure, go figure :huh:
Nev

Well this thread has gone down the gurgler.

Why would you want to make beer from it?

imagesCATYYT10.jpg

untitled.png

Gryphon Brewing said:
When I lived in Rockhampton QLD we didnt even have a meter, god only knows what I was drinking from those lead pipes ?
Oh and it was a hot spot for renal failure, go figure :huh:
Nev
I only just arrived back home after a month working there Nev, drink the water?? I don't think so.

Latest posts

Back