Garden Hose water - is it so bad?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
punkin said:
I suspect that those who are saying they can't taste a difference are not doing it scientifically enough.
No, it is cause there is no difference. It all comes in through the same pipe on the property boundary, is distributed through copper pipes and then out through taps various. No difference in taste from laundry, kitchen, bathroom or the two outside taps.

I suspect there might be differences for people who have different pipes around the place (copper, gal, plastic) etc, but for my place there is not one iota of difference.

Im pretty keen on gettiing my water quality improved, I consider it an area of homebrewing that needs attention, now ive become even more obsessed with perfecting beer :ph34r: . Something that until now has not been of any concern, straight from the outside tap into the brew. To read that the water taste different from different taps would suggest that we have more than 1 inlet from the mains, maybe where you live but we only have 1 and i can say that the water from the bathroom is the same as the kitchen and the one outside.

The tap I fill from is the 1st outlet from the mains, its about 1 meter away from the mains meter/tap and Id say that is the best tap to get my water from!

After reading this I will be using my existing food grade light blue hose from bunnings to fill up ( was previously using it for my immersion chiller,bought it that colour so i knew it was for brewing not the garden) and for sure buying the Twin Caravan Water Filter system recommended by Batz.

Thankyou for the thread OP, its sure to get lot more people working on an area of homebrewing that most wouldnt care to much about....now to figure out what calcium, gypsum, chalk, lactic and all those other chemical do and what beers to use them for....lol. :blink:

JDW81 said:
No, it is cause there is no difference. It all comes in through the same pipe on the property boundary, is distributed through copper pipes and then out through taps various. No difference in taste from laundry, kitchen, bathroom or the two outside taps.

I suspect there might be differences for people who have different pipes around the place (copper, gal, plastic) etc, but for my place there is not one iota of difference.
My place uses a mixture of old gal pipe, poly and copper. It seems to run along the house, under the house, in the roof and basically all over the place.

I even have a huge copper HWS sitting in my roof cavity that would probably make a great kettle. If only I could get it out.

punkin said:
Yes, you're missing something ;)

Listen guys, just try the experiment and report back if you can taste the difference. Maybe chew a water cracker in between tastings and leave it say 10 mins.
Then list your results as;

Kitchen water 1-10?;
Bathroom water 1-10?;
laundry water 1-10??
Outside water 1-10?;
toilet water (from the vanity, not the toilet) 1-10?;

We'll collate the lot and see how large the differences are. Maybe get your families or mates involved and do a blind tasting?

I suspect that those who are saying they can't taste a difference are not doing it scientifically enough.

Awwwwhh... you guys!

Pratty1 said:
the Twin Caravan Water Filter system recommended by Batz.

A quick flick back through the thread and I still can't find where Batz recommended this- am I missing something?

Are we talking about something like this?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Two-stage-12-caravan-boat-inline-water-filter-with-brass-garden-hose-connector-/221262882461?pt=Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item33844ba69d#ht_2459wt_826

Also - I take it the blue hose people are referring to is this?

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_pope-10m-drinking-water-hose_P3130594.aspx?search=hose&searchType=any&searchSubType=products&page=3

Verification I'm keeping up is appreciated.

I think this is close to the one mentioned. I bought my filter system through these guys and they were very prompt to replace a transit damaged part.

Single supply is most common. Some housing estates and new developments have a grey water supply but that is pretty rare in my experience.

In older houses the outside taps are the ones that are least likely to have been renewed in copper or plastic and they may contain quite a few litres of water that has been lying in rusty galvanised pipe. That could account for differences in taste.

My place is late 50s / early 60s and I have renewed most of the gal' pipe. It was in pretty shitty condition. I now have a mix of copper, plastic and gal.

If anyone is interested in an experiment, then tasting the water from various taps after each one has been run for a few minutes would be the most revealing. I suspect little or no difference will be discovered.

I brew in the shed and , for what it's worth, I use a short length of garden hose from the tap in the shed to make it easy to fill jerries, HLT etc. I am unconcerned about the garden hose. It is flushed regularly and the water that lies in it when it is not in use is alway flushed out.

Hmm, this has me intrigued, my place has had all the gal pipe replaced with copper throughout the whole building about 10 years ago. The first place it goes to from the street is the front outside tap, I have never noticed a difference in the quality of water but I have not really looked for one either. Will give it a go.

These are the filters that I've recently replaced my fridges filter with. I don't think they are as good as the genuine one (by my taste test, but the wife and kids have not commented). 5 filters for the price of 1 genuine is pretty good. I'm waiting for some fittings to convert one to a hose setup for my brewery. Then every-time the fridge tells me to replace the cartridge I can also do the brewery.

bradsbrew said:
Hmm, this has me intrigued, my place has had all the gal pipe replaced with copper throughout the whole building about 10 years ago. The first place it goes to from the street is the front outside tap, I have never noticed a difference in the quality of water but I have not really looked for one either. Will give it a go.
OK just as a safety warning here please don't brew or drink from the water supply to your toilet. This water is not food grade, it is for flushing turds and not brewing.

All toilet supplied flushing water should have this notice attached by law. I know it is not enforced by some towns, but it will be in years to come.

Be careful
Batz :ph34r:

drink_water.jpg

A quick flick back through the thread and I still can't find where Batz recommended this- am I missing something?

My bad, mid post I tried to recall who attached the link, that mush have been bats....lol

The water from ALL my taps, front outside, back outside, laundery, bathroom and kitchen all taste EXACTLY the same.... like shit.

That's why I filter all my bewing and drinking water. In my town it all comes from the same place, the meter out the front

AndrewQLD said:
The water from ALL my taps, front outside, back outside, laundery, bathroom and kitchen all taste EXACTLY the same.... like shit.

That's why I filter all my bewing and drinking water. In my town it all comes from the same place, the meter out the front
That's what they want you too believe.

AndrewQLD said:

try putting a tap in your shed Andrew, then try that! Yukko!!! I removed the tap in my shed because of this, and I'm on tank water :blink:

I hate to tell you but the water that flushes my shitter is the same water that comes out of my kitchen tap. I only have one water supply from the mains out the front of my house. The only difference is the pipe material. Not that I would use water from the toilet.

GalBrew said:
I hate to tell you but the water that flushes my shitter is the same water that comes out of my kitchen tap.
That must be inconvenient at times.

During a recent renovation at my property the water supply line from my side of the meter had to be moved to accommodate a driveway. It goes under my house, which is raised, so I can trace the piping to all outlets. It's the same water for all water consuming devices and appliances. :)

jc64 said:
During a recent renovation at my property the water supply line from my side of the meter had to be moved to accommodate a driveway. It goes under my house, which is raised, so I can trace the piping to all outlets. It's the same water for all water consuming devices and appliances. :)
Even if your on tank water??

Latest posts

Back