Gage Roads 'sleeping Giant' Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the price is still enjoyable but I suspect you'd be disappointed with the beer today. While not the same as Bud I most certainly would not like to try to work out which might be better (and it should be pointed out that I've only had Bud at room temp).

I prefer brewdog IPA, but I thought it was a good beer. I drank the whole 6 pack!.

I dont know why people are continually comparing and English IPA with an American one...

different beasts

hahaha! Don't get me wrong, I love my hops.

As you know, the history behind an IPA is highly hopped, higher alcohol for the long boat ride. I wonder what they were really like traditionally. We all like to think they were massively hoppy beers but I'm not too sure. The modern English IPA's (at least by the time they make it to Aus) are no hoppier than most APA's. Alcohol content is quite often only in the 5-6% range compared to the 3.5-4.5% range for bitters and pale ales....

Some american IPA's however... forget balance, shovel in the hops :D

I doubt the original IPA was much stronger than an average ale due to tax on malt in that era, which is the same reason historically that many Scottish ales of the time were session beers as the Scot's hated paying the extra malt tax to the English. Hops and yeast were the preservatives then and now. They most likely only added enough hops to insure longevity.

And pretty tough to say some American beers forget balance when they are brewing to style created by innovation and not guidelines. Every brewery puts out a beer from time to time that needs to be tweaked.

Go to the GABF and get back to me about what you really think about US craft beer.

I dont know why people are continually comparing and English IPA with an American one...

different beasts

I for one am over the american bastardisation of classic beer styles, chucking a shyte load of hops or adding carafa or bumping up the ABV in a beer doesn't make you a brewing genius. Making a good EIPA takes takes skill and understanding of the ingredients to create a good balance of hop bitterness and malt flavours. where as an AIPA is lazy chuck high IBU hops at it and she'll be right gulg gulg gulg. Don't get me wrong there are well made AIPAs out there unfortunately there are few and far between. Just my opinion which you don't have to agree with....

By the way I think SG is a quite enjoyable beer might not hit every tick box but hits enough to make it easy to down finish a 6 pack of it and make it a preferred choice in a bottleo.

I wouldn't call it a good IPA (or even an IPA), but it's a pretty decent beer. Balanced, rather than hoppy. If they called it a Pale Ale and Atomic as a Pale Lager, they'd be closer to reality.

I agree with American bastardisation of beer (and everything else). I do like a good APA, having said that, but I'd love to get a good recipe for an English IPA/IIPA and have a go. I make fantastic APA, excellent balance, but I've never really hit the mark with the british version (though I do a good british brown, stout and porter).

Goomba

where as an AIPA is lazy chuck high IBU hops at it and she'll be right gulg gulg gulg.
Only when made by brewers in this country. A proper example is bold, sure, but there is nuance behind it that you just don't find here - even in Murray's Icon (I was going to say "beers like Murray's Icon" but, uh, there really aren't any - it's in a class of it own in this country).

But, yeah, the automatic assumption that IPA = AIPA is pretty tiresome. But not quite as tiresome as complaining about how other people drink beer FFS.

Bum,
are you saying Murrays 2IPA "is lazy chuck high IBU hops at it and she'll be right "

Not sure why you're going me for someone else's words.

If you'll actually read what I wrote instead of assuming my intentions you'll see that I am putting it forward as the best (only, in fact) relevant example. Having said that it would not get the praise there that it gets here. I'd drink it happily in either country because it is a fine beer.

you seemed to agree with those words.. I wasnt "going you" (your words)
I just wanted to confirm what I reading was correct...

Please dis-mount from your amazingly high horse.

As long as you're not looking for a reason to go me.

lol

but while we are at it, to say Murrays 2IPA doesnt have any nuance behind it is just plain crazy...

Again, I think you'll find you've assumed my point instead of reading it. But since you've previously denied having done so I guess you didn't and are correct.

I am sorry. It is better than all the US examples of the US style. Very much so. Happy now?

Only when made by brewers in this country. A proper example is bold, sure, but there is nuance behind it that you just don't find here - even in Murray's Icon (I was going to say "beers like Murray's Icon" but, uh, there really aren't any - it's in a class of it own in this country).

:unsure:

Show me where I said it is without nuance. The part you've made red is a comparison - a comparison I stand by completely. Despite it being my favourite Australian beer (not even purely within the confines of style) it simply does not stack up against the better US examples in terms of complexity. How this means that I'm saying it is basically a low-carb blonde or something I have no idea.

are you even reading your own posts?

but there is nuance behind it that you just don't find here - even in Murray's Icon

I dont know how this statement can be taken any other way than you believeing that Murrays 2IPA is made without naunce.

Im not saying you believe it is low carb crap (that was an assumption on your part)

but there is nuance behind it that you just don't find here - even in Murray's Icon

I dont know how this statement can be taken any other way than you believeing that Murrays 2IPA is made without naunce.

Im not saying you believe it is low carb crap (that was an assumption on your part)
DJ... FWIW, the way i read it... he's saying there are particular nuances that appear in the US examples that are deficient in AU examples, inclusive of Murray's... he's not saying that Murray's is not without nuance of it's own, just not the same as the US ones.

IMO

For real? Well, I guess more words can't help here as you aren't very good at them and junk. Believe what you like as your mind is clearly made up.

(that was an assumption on your part)
No it was rhetoric used to show how your were twisting my words. But I suspect there's not much point me pushing that barrow any further (especially while you continue twisting).

[EDIT: last part was unclear]

In light of the BJCP dumbing down and Americanising every beer to an American view point these historical brewing links may be of interest.

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2011/03...uers-india.html
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2011/03...of-hodgson.html
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2011/06...p-in-1880s.html
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2011/06...allsopp-in.html
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2011/06...-part-four.html

These links aren't so much about the taste etc. but give a very detailed look at what the beer was. IPA on a label or "style" doesn't make it a real IPA.

As the production of IPA reached it height the local hops producers could not keep up supply so there would have been the possibility of European and ex colony hops [America] and these would most likely have been Hallertau and Cluster. The finishing hops though would have in most cases been what we refer to as Goldings today. Basically hops from the East Kent area.

not much point me pushing that barrow

What is a barrow load of nuance worth these days? Could we do a bulk buy? Any one wanna go halves in a barrow of nuance, I don't think I would want a whole one. But if no one wants the other half I guess I'll take the whole barrow. Does nuance come in any other sizes?

Great links Chiller, I've bookmarked for future reference.

Thanks
Andrew

Back