Full Volume Boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobbly

Reaction score
What are the advantages of doing a full vol boil vs say only 75% and topping the fermenter up to required final vol with cold tap water apart from the top up water having not been boiled and is that an issue in any event
Lower vol would require less energy input or more vigorous boil

Cheers

Wobbly

Advantage is a matter of perspective.

Adding water as opposed to increasing boil volume means you are diluting colour, gravity, flavour, ibu, etc.

Going to the effort of boiling everything, then adding unboiled liquor seems a bit counter intuitive and unboiled water will contain some dissolved oxygen.

Doing a concentrated boil also reduces your hop utilisation efficiency (depending on the gravity).

Advantage is a matter of perspective.

Adding water as opposed to increasing boil volume means you are diluting colour, gravity, flavour, ibu, etc.Basically I am considering brewing a higher strength and diluting

Going to the effort of boiling everything, then adding unboiled liquor seems a bit counter intuitive and unboiled water will contain some dissolved oxygen. I would have thought that the dissolved oxygen would have been an advantage post boil and pre ferment

Wobbly

Like I said - it's a matter of perspective. If you are aware of the potential effects and can tailor them to your advantage, then all good.

Back