Fuggles = Boiled Peanuts...?

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bradsbrew

I have on a couple occasions picked up a certain flavour whilst tasting certain beers. The main one was a James Squire Beer pretty sure it was the IPA..... Boiled Peanuts, now I love boiled peanuts and dont mind them with a beer BUT I dont go much on them being a flavour in my beer.

I got back from a week away on friday and noticed the bitter I had fermenting away when I left had picked up a new flavour, I had the brew fermenting for 8 days and had reached 1019 (from 1052) and had stalled a bit so before flying out on sunday i set the ferment fridge to 21 so the brew would be finished when I got back. Well it was down too 1012 when I got home but at 21 it had that boiled peanut flavour. So I dropped the temp to 2 degrees for thrre days and kegged it tonight. The flavour is still there but very slightly and the beer should turn out fine.

This beer had a shit load of Fuggles and I am guessing the fuggles are what I am picking up as Boiled nuts. Or is it the fact that I left the 1469 at a warmer finish.

Cheers Brad

Fuggles are an interesting one. Some guys pick it up as mushrooms, others as ash tray or wet forest floor. Personally i pick it up as being like a good cuban cigar. Cohiba Robusto. Peppery, deep, feremented tea, wet bark etc. :icon_cheers:

Boiled peanuts?! when have you boiled peanuts before? i could understand maybe some oilyness in the aroma or hot wet leafy pepperiness but i assume it smells like.. well, hot wet nuts to you? :rolleyes: (await the innuendos).

Interesting.

i'd say the aroma is true to fuggles as it is quite a unique hop. its either love it or hate it. I 'enjoy' it but i can see where blokes think its the devil.

Fuggles are an interesting one. Some guys pick it up as mushrooms, others as ash tray or wet forest floor. Personally i pick it up as being like a good cuban cigar. Cohiba Robusto. Peppery, deep, feremented tea, wet bark etc. :icon_cheers:

Boiled peanuts?! when have you boiled peanuts before? i could understand maybe some oilyness in the aroma or hot wet leafy pepperiness but i assume it smells like.. well, hot wet nuts to you? :rolleyes: (await the innuendos).

Interesting.

i'd say the aroma is true to fuggles as it is quite a unique hop. its either love it or hate it. I 'enjoy' it but i can see where blokes think its the devil.

Sawdust and wet dirt for me. I'm still persevering though.
Cheers, John.

Sawdust and wet dirt for me. I'm still persevering though.
Cheers, John.

there you go.. as i said, its very unique. Actually i could call for wet sawdust or the arse end of a cigar after its been sucked on for about an hour! :lol:

I'd call it earthy and sometimes minty and leave it that. Only ever used it as a bittering hop in fairly robust English styles though. What are you guys doing to get peanut cigar mushrooms that have been lying on the butcher's shop floor?

earthy dirty socks for me. not that i chew on dirty socks but you know!

I'd call it earthy and sometimes minty and leave it that. Only ever used it as a bittering hop in fairly robust English styles though. What are you guys doing to get peanut cigar mushrooms that have been lying on the butcher's shop floor?

I just get ciagr really, that deep leafyness of tobacco and kind of reminds me of a damp forrest. Recently opening a fresh pack of oolong tea reminded me of JS IPA too.

reminds me of chewing tobacco... its on my never to use again list along with amarillo. i cant understand why people rave about these hops, give me cascade or saaz anyday.

I find Fuggles to be very vegetal - like the smell of boiled broccoli or cabbage or peas or brussels sprouts. Don't know what boiled peanuts smell like......not sure I want to know now that I think about it. :icon_vomit:

This thread has me wanting to boil some peanuts.

And has me questioning why I like Fuggles? You guys make it sound pretty yuck.

Fuggles have their place. Porters, stouts, the odd IPA - they're awesome, but only if they're not overdone. At low-moderate levels, they're really good in those styles.

Just the name "Fuggles" makes me pause before I add them to the boil :blink:

The fact that they've been a signature hop in so many lovely malty English ales for centuries makes me want to brew with them more. Anyone get similar characteristics from Styrian Goldings?

This thread is like the opposite of a sales pitch for fuggles, bloody harsh reviews haha.

The fact that they've been a signature hop in so many lovely malty English ales for centuries makes me want to brew with them more. Anyone get similar characteristics from Styrian Goldings?

Completely different IMO. I get a big floral aroma from them with a a sweet orange zest note.

I think I read somewhere that Styrian Goldings are actually the same strain as fuggles. That the growers who thought they were imported goldings from britain actually got fuggles, hence the name. Can anyone confirm or correct me, I'm a bit vague on this?

EDIT: Name: Styrian Goldings
Grown: Yugoslavia (seedless Fuggles grown in Yugoslavia)

In 1930, the Yugoslavians imported Fuggles from England , probably under the name 'Fuggles Goldings' as at that time Fuggles were considered to be inferior to Goldings. Since then they have been known as Styrian Goldings. Although essentially Fuggles,

Not quite what I remembered...

I love fuggles. A big (style wise big, not IPA big) dry-hop in my brown ale gave a musty, almost funky, earth aroma. I thought it was perfection, and it's gotten consistently high reviews from even the most died in the wool swill drinkers.

Don't get peanuts at all, but I'm hearing fourstars descriptors in a big way.

This whole discussion reminds me of some lambic descriptions... Horse blanket, barn, goat... All sound terrible on paper, but when you actually experience a good lambic, they all match together into awesomeness.

@big78sam - I've also read that what is often sold as (non-german) tettnang is actually fuggles, not the actually tettnang strain. Willamette is just fuggles grown in willamette too aparantly, although in my experience they are almost, but not quite, entirely unlike each other.

Although essentially Fuggles,

Although, essentially grown in another location and not fuggles. I guess it could have some similarities but not what i pickup on my nose.

Its much like Chinese Cascade, Chinese Saaz, Chinese Columbus, NZ Hallertau etc etc. Same, same, but definitely different.

Willamette is just fuggles grown in willamette too aparantly

Willamette I believe is derived from fuggles and an unspecified male hop or something like that.

But I guess most hops have a family tree and it doesn't mean they're the same thing, or even similar sometimes.

These type of boiled peanuts is what I am refering to.Dont tell me that there are beer drinkers amongst us that have never had boiled peanuts? I love boiled peanuts with a beer but I dont like my beer to taste like nuts.

cajun_boiled_peanuts_2.jpg

I would add a comment how I like the taste of sucking the juice out of these nuts but that just sounds wrong.

Latest posts

Back