Frozen Yeast And Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammo7

Reaction score
Hey all.
I think I have a major problem..
Last night I went to put some beers in my beer fridge, and noticed it was a tad cold, looked at the thermostat and it was set to the coldest setting.
It has frozen all of my yeast cultures, I dare say that it has also frozen my hops. But it had not frozen my beer that was in the door.
I have done a bit of searching and have read that its OK to freeze yeast if it is suspended in glycerin so it doesn't rupture the cell walls.
Seeing as the beer isn't frozen, it hasn't gone to deep freeze temps, if the yeast is dead, I can live with that, but if my hops are shagged, I'm going to be quite annoyed.
Will the hops be OK?
I will check yeast viability with a starter over the next couple of days.

The biggest problem I have with the hops is they have been frozen before (I read somewhere that hops were meant to be stored in the freezer, then the post came out that they are not meant to be frozen).
They (the hops) would only have been in the freezer for half a day the first time, this time, they could have been frozen for up to a week and a bit.

Has anyone had a similar problem? I don't want to start a brew to find out my hops are shagged, if the yeast is dead, at least I will have time while the wort is chilling in the cube, or will just throw in a us-05 pack.

Thanks in advance,
Matt.

Hops will be fine... yeast not sure. Best to get a starter going to check the yeast viability.
The thread you made mention to regarding freezing hops ended up concluding that hops in the freezer were fine as long as they were kept as airtight as possible.

I'd say the main issue with storing hops is that if they freeze then thaw, you'll end up with moisture in there. As argon said, keep them as air tight as possible and you should be fine. I used to store my hops in the freezer and never had any issues, but I also never left them out of the freezer long enough to thaw them out, or more so, let any moisture build up in the bag they were in. I do keep them in the fridge these days though

Thanks Argon.
Freezing then thawing, then re-freezing again, i thought would have some effect on the hops.
All of the hops are air tight (as they came from Craftbrewer) except one pack of nelson sauvin (which will be going into the fermenter tomorrow anyway)
Cheers.

Thanks also Pennywise.
I guess the proof will be once I open them up. they will either look good, or like mash!

(sorry I missed your post earlier)
Cheers.

They won't look like mash, I can promise you that much.

They won't look like mash, I can promise you that much.

+1 If they are in those metallic vacuum packs from CB they will be as good as the day you got them no moisture can get in.

Your hops should be fine enough, but I'd expect the yeast to be mostly-dead.

you will find craftbrewer freeze there hops anyway. As mentioned freezing the hops isnt bad as long as its air tight and even better if its a foil bag as oxygen cannot penetrate it. Freezing hops are bad as they dry out in the freezer but in a vacuumed packed foil bag the will last much longer in the freezer then the fridge (or so is what I have heard)

Opened up a pack of citra pellets last night. They were all fused together, I had to break them up like you do with flowers, and were not very 'citrusy'.
So a double freezing/thawing cycle, does have some adverse effects on the hops.

Back