Frozen bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fattox

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got a Bohemian Pils I've had bottle conditioning for 2 weeks that sat in the top of a fermenter fridge in the freezer. Temps weren't an issue as the fridge was being used as a fermenter, up until about a week before the pils was fully ready to drink. The beers inside were chilled to clear it up a bit (only as low as 11c) which was enough to freeze only some of the pilsners.

Would this have been enough to kill carbonation, or can I just go ahead and blame the mate who helped me?

What was the temp where the bottles where? Surely the 11 degrees isn't where you have kept the bottles... Been a few years since I did chem and physics at school, but you won't freeze any water based liquid at that temp!

manson81 said:
What was the temp where the bottles where? Surely the 11 degrees isn't where you have kept the bottles... Been a few years since I did chem and physics at school, but you won't freeze any water based liquid at that temp!
Baaaaahahahahaha Golden Manson!

Haha, fair point. I know the fridge below was somewhere between 6-11 and the bottles were up top in the freezer so I daresay they were a bit less, probably closer to 1-2? Some froze and some didn't which was a bit weird I thought. But I've since pulled them out, and sat them covered on the bench in the bathroom to let them get up to ambient which is around 22-25, then will throw them in my cupboard for a couple days and see what happens. I took a few up north, where they sat out for a few days. One carbed up well but the other didn't.

Is it worth opening some and adding another half dose of sugar if some aren't carbed up within 3-4 days?

was it the bottles just under the air outlet that froze? I've had this happen in my older beer fridge when it was stacked quite full. The temp was generally fine, but localised in that small area, the air passed directly over a few bottles and froze them solid...

It was around a couple holes that had been drilled through by a previous owner with a hole saw for better cooling. All good though, I inverted them, gave a quick swirl to rile up the yeast then let them sit on the bench all covered for a few days then they came good. Chilled 3 of them and they came real good

Latest posts

Back