From high above the Melbourne CBD

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Morishita

Reaction score
Hi AHB,

I've been scouring this forum for hints and tips for many years now, but thought it time to register and say hi now I've put down my first brew on Aussie soil.

I shift around a fair bit for work and am now on my 4th 'brewery', the new place is on the small side BUT this time I have a fantastic gas kitchen, with a stovetop that easily accomodates 2x 19l pots side by side two burners a piece so I'm finally planning to upgrade from kits and bits to full grain brew in a bag. It helps that there are some great home brew shops in my new home of Melbourne too. Currently in the process of belting out a few (3x 20l) summer quaffing kit based brews, then as soon as I find a cheap conical burr coffee grinder on Gumtree I'm planning on ordering a sack of Golden Promise (I love Epic Pale Ale!) and getting down to business by following some of the excellent how-to BIAB posts on this site.

The final step is to get some hops growing on the apartment balcony, so if anybody can spare a hop rhizome in Melbourne then please let me know!

One of the perks of living in an aprtment in the CBD is I've already filled my laundry with quality reusable Coopers longnecks and could fill it again easily come next recycling day.

Favourite craft beer would be one of Dunedin's own Emersons Brewers Reserve one-offs - probably the Imperial Pils or the Beervana winning Emersons Wheat Wine.

Best beer I produced to date was probably a high gravity blond using coopers lager cans, blackrock LME, home-made candi sugar and NZ Hallertau Aroma. Although that basement room in NZ was so cold that everything I brewed there I did with Saflager. I'm making up for lost time now, with Safale-04, 05 and nottingham ale yeasts all fermenting happily side by side in my 18 degree laundry.

Cheers,
Jim

Haya Jim, its getting a bit late for zomes, but you are welcome to take a cutting in the next few months or if I get another bine trying to escape you are welcome to that...

What sort are you after?

Hi Yob, thank you for the help!

I'm hopefully getting a small Cascade plant in from WA to get me off on the right foot, but I'd be interested in trying another aroma or dual use variety too, the more vigourous the better! Which plants have you had the most sucess with? Looking over a few other threads, looks like a few people have had very good sucess with Chinook ...?

I'd love to try rooting a cutting or stray bine, so I'll PM you my email. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back