Who the hell is GrumpyPaul

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyPaul

Reaction score
With me recent appointment as a mod there's been a few comments about my change of name...

So here is the background.

I joined the forum in 2010 as BoroniaNewBrewer.

Way way back when Dane still owned the forum I requested a change to GrumpyPaul because I no longer felt like a new brew and felt the name was stupid. "Grumpy" is what my grandkids call me. That change was granted.

In January of 2018 I did make a smartarse comment that implied a reference to another forum. I was rightfully banned/blocked as a result.

About a year or so back I came back and created a new account NoClue2Brew simply because I missed being part of the ahb community.

There is nothing sneaky or untoward about the name changes. It certainly has nothing to do with any allegiances to one sponsor over another has been implied.

In fact over the weekend I've tried very hard through a series of messages (one side of which has been published) to encourage Will and KK to stick around.

I was just a naughty boy that was punished two and a half years ago for being a smart arse.

I'm an all grain brewer, been brewing for 10 years and I'm an active member of Melbourne Brewers home brew club.

Now I'm keen to help get AHB to get back to what it was.

Happy to answer questions.

Why are you so grumpy?

Nah, all good mate. I think there is just so much bad blood between KK and KL, with all the things that have gone on that it will never be cordial. I personally am disappointed that KK are going to go silent, and when I found out that AHB has been sold to a monetising company I was a little miffed. However, it's free. Full of pretty decent people (me not included), and has quite a lot of historical information that would help out new brewers.

I would love to see AHB back to a decent forum / membership number. It's sad that with the current surge in brewers, the site might not grow as much as it should. There's some decent new blokes that have joined, and some old timers that went radio silent and lurked for many years (me included) and have been active again due to Covid and needing something to do.

I remember the group buys on here would generate huge interest, now you can barely organise 20 sacks of grain in Victoria. Sad days, but hopefully it's on the up!

In January of 2018 I did make a smartarse comment that implied a reference to another forum. I was rightfully banned/blocked as a result.

Damn, that's harsh, ha.

Congrats on the promotion. I think it's good that you're encouraging sponsors like KK to stick around. Better to have them posting on the forums with their affiliations and given members a place to voice concerns, than have shill members (which can still happen, granted) and less of a collective voice for feedback.

Edit: oh jesus, just realised I missed a truckload of drama. Getting caught up now.

Last edited:
Grumpy is just a name. He's not really a grump, but I imagine he's as cuddly as a teddy bear. He'll be fair and play by the rules.
As for me, yup, they're my real names. I'm a member of Hunter United Brewers, and have been brewing now for about 13 or 14 years. I'm a traditionalist and brew in an el cheapo 3 vessel system.

"Grumpy" comes from the grandkids.

The first one, who is 16 now, couldn't get his mouth around "grandpa" when he was learning to talk. It came out as Grumpy... and I liked it. I was too young at the time to be a grandpa so I stuck Grumpy.

Just like @philrob I brew on a cheap arse 3v system hobbled together from garage sale bargain finds

"Grumpy" comes from the grandkids.

The first one, who is 16 now, couldn't get his mouth around "grandpa" when he was learning to talk. It came out as Grumpy... and I liked it. I was too young at the time to be a grandpa so I stuck Grumpy.

Just like @philrob I brew on a cheap arse 3v system hobbled together from garage sale bargain finds
What no mention of the collapsible brew stand that helped you cobble together your 3V system oh and the mash tun. Cheap arse alright;)

I’d argue the constant bickering between 2 different retailers, along with a number of members with a not so hidden agenda (on both sides of the argument) did more to ruin the forum than the work of the moderators.

Grumpy Paul, Warra 48. Did their best to destroy this forum, make them moderators, mission accomplished.
’d argue the constant bickering between 2 different retailers, along with a number of members with a not so hidden agenda (on both sides of the argument) did more to ruin the forum than the work of the moderators.

Oh WEAL....you silly boy.

Surely there isn't anything left of that axe of yours to grind. This is a 2 year old thread....I stopped moderating last year - let it go champ.

And if you must know - I don't have foot in one camp or the other (can you say the same?), both retailers behaved like dickheads for quite a while there.

I think there are a lot of factors that have seen this forum die off. Moderation is probably one (although I think it was needed during the constant shit-fighting er), retailer and zealot behaviour was also one....this forum started dying back in the big split of 2018 and it never fully recovered. Facebook, podcasts, Youtube etc have probably become brewers online choice for some.

In the word of the great Elsa from Frozen....LET IT GO!
Would that be a contumelious, curmudgeon?

I needed a dictionary for those big words...but I like them. If I ever ask for yet another name change I think I might just ask to be called "Cuntomelious Curmudgeon"

Who is Warra48? Hasn't been seen on here for years, not since the big split.
I'm philrob, and the only current moderator.
And to be honest, the other place isn't exactly overactive either.
There are/were some other Aussie forums as well, which are either essentially dormant, or just haven't survived at all.
It's the way it is, as GrumpyPaul outlined well.

Who is Warra48? Hasn't been seen on here for years, not since the big split.
I'm philrob, and the only current moderator.
And to be honest, the other place isn't exactly overactive either.
There are/were some other Aussie forums as well, which are either essentially dormant, or just haven't survived at all.
It's the way it is, as GrumpyPaul outlined well.
The church you go to every Sunday, don't they teach you lying is a sin? On the other forum as "Grandpa" you admit to being Warra 48. Not only that you have the same avatar which you have on here! Look I don't care, I doubt anyone else does.

As an online Bar situation. I,m agnostic. It sometimes saddens me to see punch ups but then again depends how many drinks you've had you could just see it as funny. No matter what loud words made bla bla bla go for it!
People being so easily offended then toiling tediously to legitimize it etc. Like Toadfish biting any bait. That is who killed the bar scene. The Toadfish! A plague of them.
The online Bar situation became so divided like modern politics plays everyone against each other.
So the community divided to separate Bars. With a resentment added to whoever made the bars so quiet. Blame there made so many ways whatevers.
The online road you drive by you check into the bar when its active but recent past Lockdowns doldrums made everyone more quiet. More Introvert. You look in but if there's no activity you dont drop in. At a time there are more craft breweries now than ever before.
There needs to be a unity channel in Australia online navigation of this Craft Beer thing.
Just a personal experience prefer.

I needed a dictionary for those big words...but I like them. If I ever ask for yet another name change I think I might just ask to be called "Cuntomelious Curmudgeon"
Once upon a time there were three old men, drunkards all, that loathed yet loved one another, would knock each other down at the drop of a hat, then bend down to help the other up.
After a particularly long night of putting shit on each other we hit on the idea of forming a gang, we would be the CONTUMELIOUS CURMUUDGEONS CLUB! (ok maybe not a proper gang) and a plaque was duly designed and forged from the staves of an old wine barrel, to be held and cherished by the elder member.
Alas one is no longer with us, I now guard the sacred plaque and all the memories it holds.
As for you Grumpy, unfortunately it was an exclusive club, so whilst you may become known as a curmudgeon, contumelious is beyond your grasp, cuntomelious on the other hand ???? ;)

Once upon a time there were three old men, drunkards all, that loathed yet loved one another, would knock each other down at the drop of a hat, then bend down to help the other up.
After a particularly long night of putting shit on each other we hit on the idea of forming a gang, we would be the CONTUMELIOUS CURMUUDGEONS CLUB! (ok maybe not a proper gang) and a plaque was duly designed and forged from the staves of an old wine barrel, to be held and cherished by the elder member.
Alas one is no longer with us, I now guard the sacred plaque and all the memories it holds.
As for you Grumpy, unfortunately it was an exclusive club, so whilst you may become known as a curmudgeon, contumelious is beyond your grasp, cuntomelious on the other hand ???? ;)
Thats very cool. Love that story.

Back