Froached Eggs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
When I was knocking around Greece a long time ago, this was the default method of cooking eggs in the country areas, and apart from omelettes this is always how I do eggs for brekkie.
However it amazes me the number of people who have never sampled this method.

Ingredients:
Eggs, some E.V. olive oil (as little or as much as you like)
Lemon and some extra water
Covered frying pan.
froached eggs 1.jpg

Commence frying as per normal
froached eggs 2.jpg

When the sizzle is happening, squeeze lemon around eggs, add water and immediately cover
froached eggs 3.jpg

Once steam is escaping from under lid, turn off and walk away for a couple of minutes
froached eggs 4.jpg

The result is perfectly cooked eggs with a lemon and olive oil 'gravy' that can be mopped up with fresh crusty bread whatever. No salt required either if you are low sodium. I don't do mine too 'wet' but in some areas, and in Spain as well (they tell me) they use up to a quarter cup of olive oil and a whole lemon.

Thats how Mac's cooks their eggs (without the fancy additions)

On the hotplate in rings with a hood over them and a touch of water to steam the tops.

Safer to BYO.
Likely they'll just tip some Sprite on your eggs.

Adding lemon to eggs generally works a small magic . Not quite sure what happens - something about the acidity of the lemon changing the composition of the white - but if you squeeze just a little bit of lemon juice into a pan with the eggs it causes the whites to immediately firm up - and the eggs won't have those sizzled edges either when you take them out of the pan. Similar to adding vinegar to water when you poach eggs, I guess.

I'm making these this weekend. :icon_drool2:

Current favourite Saturday morning feed are these eggs on a stack of lettuce (good mix of rocket & other tasty varieties), mayo & toast w/ plenty of fresh cracked pepper.

Stumbled upon this method through trial and error a while back and been using it since. Haven't tried lemon though. Also, when it's not bacon fat, I prefer butter to olive oil (in this case only - in general I'm an olivey sort of bloke).

Will this work with bottled lemon juice, or does it have to be fresh?

I do something strikingly similar with a dash of red wine or balsamic vinegar now and then too, but have not tried lemon before, thanks for the tip Bribie. Speaking of lemon though, FWIW I can recommend it on the fried bacon with pressed garlic, is just superb, just don't overcook it, so add the two flavourings after you've started the rashers on their merry way.

I often use the yellow bottle ... with lemons at a stupid price nowadays.

Bacon with pressed garlic... now you're talking.

edit: I'm out of red wine so off to the bottlo.

might have to try this, though I love my eggs alot and dont like to add any 'flavours' not even bacon. I just want that oozing yolk goodness.

my favourite way to cook them at the moment is 75deg for 15mins in the shell, then cracked straight onto the toast and some salt.

Been cooking my eggs like this since I was young

doon said:
Been cooking my eggs like this since I was young
Well, Melbourne is the third biggest Greek city in the World after Athens and Thessaloniki, so that makes sense. :)

TimT said:
- and the eggs won't have those sizzled edges either when you take them out of the pan.
Man, I love those sizzled hard edges, especially when done with bacon

I used to work at the place where they make the yellow and green bottles.
It's pretty much just lemon juice concentrate with some Benzo added to keep it fresh at room temp. Not that the acid level is enough.

Agree, just depends on what you're doing with the eggs, I guess.

Technical Question; should the water be hot,cold or room temp?
I'd imagine warm/hot water would be best as it won't cool the whole pan down in the midst of cooking, unless that's a part of the magic process?

If I am doing just eggs by them selves I always put the lid on and steam them. Been doing that since I was a kid.

Then salt, pepper ( and worster sauce or lanchashire relish sometimes ) on the plate

Latest posts

Back