Any Successful Diets / Eating Plans?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I've been hovering round the 95k for a couple of years but really should be 83 max so I've adapted a diet I found on the web and so far I've lost 5k in 2 weeks and hopefully going to crack the 90k in the next few days.
I used to be on a Paleolithic diet (eat what you can dig off the ground, pick off a tree, or kill with a club or sharp stick) but it was far too restrictive, although I lost a fair bit back then.

New eating plan:

Brekky around 9 am:

Every day, 3 eggs made into a plain omelette with olive oil
1/4 rockmelon
kiwi fruit or some grapes etc but not banana which is full of carbs.

about 330ml of trim milk mixed with a heaped dessertspoon of psyllium.

That keeps me going all day, no real hunger until dinner time then I normally have a curry and rice. I grow okra and eggplant, and heaps of snake beans ATM so it's just a veg curry out of the garden + crisper. Then I can have my few pints.
Ever since I was a kid I have never been a lunch person so maybe others might not have success, but just losing those few kilos is an incredible boost to mobility and energy. Also the psyllium is wonderfully cleansing but let's not go there. B) The Psyllium, eggplant and okra also drag down the cholesterol apparently.

I've never had weight issues, but i've often though a battery drill and packet of large self tapping screws applied to the fridge door would work! :p

BTW curry and rice is good, as long as your not using ghee, they're great!

Cheers SJ

oh, and great work on the diet!

I follow Billy Connolly's diet advice -

"You want to loose weight. Easy. EAT LESS. MOVE MORE."

My walk to the station and back each day (40 mins each way with some serious hills) keeps the gut in check.

"You want to loose weight. Easy. EAT LESS. MOVE MORE."

This is it in a nutshell!

Eating less (calorifically) than you burn = weight loss. Doing more exercise burns more energy, not to mention the other benefits of regular exercise.

Paleolithic diet is a fad diet (some say it's not even historically accurate), and still required adherence to eating less than you burn for weight loss anyway.

High blood cholesterol levels are most easily prevented by not being obese and by making sensible food choices (good variety of fruit, veg, etc.)

I've recently come off a couple of diet plans, both which worked wonders.

Firstly, I had a blood test that showed developing type-2 diabetes about 18 months ago, and the only way to beat it was to lose weight (I was around 86kg @ 5'9"). I cut out a lot of unnecessary sugar and fat, and adopted a rule that anything I consumed wouldn't have more than 10% of either (as in less than 10g per 100g according to nutrional info). Unforunately, I also cut back on beer during this time.

After I was in the "safe" zone, I was still on weightloss kick, so me and missus tried this Lite n Easy stuff for probably around 6 months, and it was great. Once you get used to eating a bit less, it's very easy to do. We did the 3 meals a day, 7 days a week bit, and we both lost weight at a pretty healthy rate. At my lightest, I got down to was just under 75kgs, and that was just before going on a cruise (which ruined me, but that was expected ;)). During this, I was drinking in full force and not going out of my way to exercise. Plus the food is quite varied and pretty nice.

I know it's often "frowned" upon, but I also tried the lemon detox diet, which shaved off 5kgs in a week, (well 7 in total, then putting 2 back on after eating solids again :p) and that was weight I never put back on. The theory is that it does wonders for your metabolism, and even after getting back on to my regular eating patterns, I just never put it back on.

Lemon detox diet is horrible. The ads promoting that is the most disgusting thing I've seen on commercial tv.

If you want to detox, drink lots of water and adhere to a decent diet. Your body will do the rest. Crash diets just lead to eating disorders, let alone the other nutritional catastrophes occuring.

that stupid 'whats gooo for you' TV show did a medical comparison on differant detox methods over the indicated period. the doctor found that those who went on the detox were actually more unhealthy than the ones who didnt chnage a thing. needless to say they didnt reccomend the detox diets.

I gave up the booze to help kickstrat the weight loss that ive gained over the past couple years. but thats only b/c its lost calories ie its not nutritional or filling. it just consumes calories that i can easily elimate ands thus have less to burn off. now im back on the boose and just having to either reduce calori intake or burn more off. either one is fine.

I subscribe to the "Don't knock it til you've tried it" theory (or "Don't Believe the Hype", whichever fits :p) and honestly found the lemon detox to be awesome. I felt good after it, and my blood tests said all was well. If you read about what's in the syrup and the medicinal properties of the other bits you put in, you can see how it benefits the body (apart from not eating, obviously :p)

Bribie, you'll quite possibly (i.e. will) find that more frequent snack sized meals throughout the day will be more beneficial than 2 larger meals at each end of the day. Especially eliminating what looks like at least 60% of your calorie intake immediately prior to what would presumably be your least active part of the day.

Bribie, you'll quite possibly (i.e. will) find that more frequent snack sized meals throughout the day will be more beneficial than 2 larger meals at each end of the day. Especially eliminating what looks like at least 60% of your calorie intake immediately prior to what would presumably be your least active part of the day.

Joined Weight Watchers when I was 32 & 15 stone 4 pounds. Came down to 10 stone 10 pounds in 3 months by using their diet plan & cheating (No alcohol allowed so knocked off the beer & drank scotch & water for the duration)
Stayed close to the same weight for another 32 years by doing swims, runs, pushbike, etc whilst maintaining a healthy drink schedule. :party:
Sadly stopped exercising 2 years ago until now as I've piled on the kilos & getting back into the swims, etc once again.
I am a bit like Bribie as I have only eaten lunch in the last 34 years if it's been provided free by somebody else.

We will see how long I can stick it out this time. :lol:

TP

You'll get satiated from eating enough fibre, fats and from having regular meal times (no matter when they are, as long as they are regular).

On the absolute other end of the scale... for the last month or so I've only eaten (meals) during 2pm and 8pm, sometimes only really having 1 meal. I'm practically fasting for 16 hours, usually consuming nothing but water, tea and coffee, and the occasional beer. A week after starting, I no longer feel hungry during the day at all.

I was overweight all my childhood and teens, up to max of 125kg or so. I really loved my food, but ironically never drank outside of social events.

A fast easy solution was guaranteed to fail, I needed a life change and slow response in the hope of forming the right habits.

6 years I lost 30kg over 50 weeks. The key was listening to my body, relearning what "hunger" actually felt like and really understanding the types of foods I wanted to eat. I read one book... "If not dieting then what"(1). I never counted calories, cut carbs, ate low fat crappy snacks. What I did do was eat slower and savour the taste of my meals. Stopped eating when I was full (much earlier than I use to).

In conjunction I walked and cycled more. I parked the car at the extremes of the carpark at work... incidental exercise. The more I did the better I felt and the more in tune I become with my body.

Fast forward to today... I'm still the same weight... which is good and bad. I need to be 80kg.

I have relearnt some bad habits and taken a minor obsession to home brew (double whammy). I have 2 kids now and I'm far more active visiting the gym 2-3 times a week and cycling/hiking long distance when time allows. Although I'm technically overweight I consider myself reasonably fit.

Anyway enough rambling... time for a beer :)

(1) http://www.ifnotdieting.com.au/cpa/htm/htm_home.asp

I subscribe to the "Don't knock it til you've tried it" theory (or "Don't Believe the Hype", whichever fits :p) and honestly found the lemon detox to be awesome. I felt good after it, and my blood tests said all was well. If you read about what's in the syrup and the medicinal properties of the other bits you put in, you can see how it benefits the body (apart from not eating, obviously :p)

I went on the cabbage soup diet back in the uni days.

Big time crash diet meant for heart surgery patients prior to their major operation.

Ate nothing but a disgusting cabbage soup for 2 weeks straight followed by another 2 weeks of slightly less painful food restrictions.

In that time i lost 10kg.

I could also clear a room in 3 seconds flat :D

All the weight went back within 6 months.

Fad/crash/detox diet = unsustainable and no respected GP or nutritionist would recommend them.

I started swimming about 6 months back. Was a runner for a while but had a knee injury that wasn't getting better. The belly and handles are going, but I weigh more now :lol: damn muscle <_< Started running again though, the swimming has really helped I think. Can't wait to show off my abba-dabbas when the last of the fat is gone.

I'm not a big fan of those massive breakfasts with all the oil/fat/lard. My breakie consists of 3 plain wheatbix; nothing but water to keep hunger at bay till lunch; lunch being enough to get me satisfied (not full); more water; swimming for an hour; dinner. Most people confuse thirst for hunger, so I just have a sip when i feel hungry.
Keep the energy intake for breakfast low-ish (never skip it) so that you have to eat a lunch. A big meal will cause blood glucose spikes which can make you feel tired.
I drink maybe 3-4 cans of softdrink over the whole week, no coffee or tea, no chips or lollies. Small amounts of chocolate and Beer is my only reward :p

I gotta start moving more as the beer gut is growing. The rest of me is skinniy, so I think I know what the problem is

You're pregnant?

Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen and tea like a servant. And get off your ( not aiming at anyone here!! ) fat ass and exercise and at least break a sweat twice a day.

Just use more energy than you put in by a factor and bingo. Key is finding exercise that is not exercise to your mind.

Also check out the Australian Institute of Sport website, it's full of useful stuff.

I have stupidly high cholesterol for a 30yr old which has resulted in me seeing a nutritionist to sort out my diet. It wasnt that bad to start with as I'm not really into chips/choclate etc..

I have

Breakfast
Snack
Lunch
Snack
Dinner
Snack

Main rules are:
1. Unlimited Veges (does not include starchy foods like potato)
2. 3 Serves Dairy (milk/yogurt)
3. 3 serves protein (meat/eggs)
4. 180g of carbs spread over the day (bread/rice/potato/fruit etc)
5. 10 standard drinks with 2 AFD's
6. 200mins of excercise per week

Latest posts

Back