Steak And Stout Pie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoidbergmerc

Reaction score
Being St Pats day I though it be good to make a Steak and Stout pie.

(Serves 8)

Ingredients:

2 kg diced beef
3 sliced onions
4 crushed cloves garlic
1 tbs oil
2/3 cup plain flour
400ml Cascade export Stout. (Just my personal preference, it's cheaper and better than Guinness, plus I don't brew stout)
2 cups beef stock
Frozen sheet of puff pastry.

Brown beef in Oiled fry pan, saute Onions with finely chopped garlic cloves, sprinkle flour over beef and onions then cook for 1 min.

Add 400ml of Stout and 2 cups of beef stock, Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours until the meat is tender and the sauce is nice and thick.

Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.

Now this is where you can mix it up a little, you can add the pie mix to 8 different little 250ml ovenproof ramekins, or you can do what I do and just add all of it to a big pie dish as I don't have 8 little dishes suitable. You can line the dishes with pastry if you want but I don't bother, I just put mine over the top and seal lit buy wetting the outside edge of the pie dish to help the pastry stick to the dish. Handy note, cut the pastry way too big for the dish and trim it to size as opposed to making it too small and it not fitting. Once the pastry is on then you can brush it with a lightly beaten egg or I just use water, add the same effect.

Make sure your pie dishes are warm before you add the pie mix other wise they'll just take longer to took.

Cook Pie(s) in oven for about 35 mins or until the pastry is nice and golden brown.

If you made lots of pies you can just cover the ones you don't want to cook now in cling wrap and freeze them and have them as a back up lazy freezer meal or even take them too work.

This is a really fkn easy recipie and I hope you all try it. If you can't be assed making them into a pie you can just add the mix into a toasted sandwich, it's really goooood.

If you're feeling adventurous you can add some mushrooms, carrots, peas, bacon, cheese (add this when you're pouring the mix into the pie dish) it's up to you, I'm pretty happy with my steak and stout If you want to you could also add some bourbon to the mix, that can be quite nice. Just add 1\4 of a cup to a cold pan before you start cooking and bring it up to the steam then ignite it with a match (stand back though) to caramelize it, dont let it burn for too long, add the beef while it's burning and the bourbon will sear its caramelly goodness into the beef.

I'll post some pics later tonight of my pie, I hope to see some other people giving it a go too!

Latest posts

Back