Fridgemate Vs Growarm

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floody_lager

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just scored a brew fridge for free but im trying to decide which controller to go with. I suspect the fridgemate would be as it is digital and only $50 but just thought id ask for opinions/experiences.

Fridgemate is awesome, there is also a new similar controller available from craftbrewer that does heating and cooling, allowing you to leave both the heat and cool source attached at all times....would be worth the extra I think.

Cheers, Pok

Have both, have had for 3 years. Grow Warm is expensive, ready to use, but needs a temp monitoring device as the controller has an analog knob. Fridgemate needs a bit of techo knowledge or advice to wire up (peice of piss really) is cheap and easy to use. Up to you really.

Screwy

+1
Fridgemate is what I use and have had no problems.
Wiring is easy.
Seek help if you have no electrical knowledge.

Cheers

Definitely go with the fridgemate. I have both and would rather buy two Fridgemates for the price of one Growarm. Also, with the Fridgemate you can set a temperature differential of 1C where the Growarm ranges from 4 to anything....analog!

The fridgemate if great but you can only do heating or cooling with it. I would pay the extra and get the Tempmate from Craftbrewer as it will do both. (on my christmas list ;) The only downside is it needs a small amount of wiring.

rgds mike

Thanks for the advice fellas.
I think ill prob just go with the fridgemate. It seems the best value for money. The wiring part doesnt really worry me as there are 3 sparkys in the family lol

Go the fridge mate IMHO and add a heat belt for warming if needed, In Perth I use heating twice a year, yeast being exothermic develops its own heat, my problems have always been to much heat.BTW I don't use either of the sponsors brands but found a good commercial unit (many functions hot cold alarms etc) which I never use. Price ? a bit more than usual.Oh and watch access to the rear of your unit,I had a lizard crawl into one, result one BBQ lizard + one BBQ controller.

Ive read that you need to get a mounting box to put it in. Any ideas where i can get one from

Ive read that you need to get a mounting box to put it in. Any ideas where i can get one from

Dick Smith , Jaycar for control box , about $10 , also need a 3 core cable lead with plugs each end length to suit

you cut the lead and wire up to fridgemate

have used a fridgemate for years now

heating using a belt , not very often as I prefer the lower temps

cooling with a fridge , no problems

wiring , best with have somebody who is a bit electrical to help, only to be sure

yea my cousin and unlce are sparkys so it'll get done properly.
wat is the need for the heat belt? doesnt the fridge mate keep a consistent temp?
ie. if a wanna brew at 14 wont it stay around there

Until i get the fridge mate, by playing around with the t'stat on the fridge, would i be able to get it to stay at around 18 to keep the ferment temp right?

yea my cousin and unlce are sparkys so it'll get done properly.
wat is the need for the heat belt? doesnt the fridge mate keep a consistent temp?
ie. if a wanna brew at 14 wont it stay around there

Depends on your climate. If the fridgemate is set for cooling at 14, it will cool when the temp goes over around 16, but it won't heat if the temp drops below 14... overnight for example.

Forget Dick Smith, they have been pretty much useless since woolies bought it in the 80's, been a long time coming but it is now official, they are dropping all hobby electronics lines.... kits, components, project boxes, connectors etc... no more.
Consumer electronic goods only now, in direct competition with Hardley Normal, Good Guys, JB hifi, and the dozens of similar outlets....

Just ordered the fridgemate off mashmaster. hopefully should be here this week. just gotta find time to get it all hooked up. is it a big job?

The fridgemate has arrived. The team at mashmaster are very efficient. ordered it sunday nite and turned up already.
Just gotta get it up and running now lol

TempMate is even better.
It will control cooling and heating in the one unit.
The temperature variance is + - .1C, so the control range is .2C.
The other units have a variance of 1or 2 C so the range is from 2 to 4C.

Only $4.90 through one of the site sponsors ;)

Cheers Ross

I only paid around $3 for the box at Jaycar. Couldn't believe they could do them that cheap! Looks very neat too. I think it was $10 altogether including the electrical lead clamp things and a terminal to connect the wires. Too easy.

Oh, and I also found packets of 8 rubber grommets (idential to the ones we all use on fermenters) for $2! Beats the pants off the prices HBSs charge for the same thing. Jaycar rocks! :super:

Latest posts

Back