Fridgemate Temperature Probe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drederick Tatum

Reaction score
I am in the final stages of converting my chest freezer but just wondering where is the best place to put the probe for the fridgemate? High up on the collar or lower down? Any help would be great thanks.

I am in the final stages of converting my chest freezer but just wondering where is the best place to put the probe for the fridgemate? High up on the collar or lower down? Any help would be great thanks.

If you can incorporate a small fan ( computer fan) in the freezer it should not matter much where you have the probe. The fan should help keep the temperature reasonably constant anywhere in the freezer.

Regards

Graeme

If your freezer is for Fermenting, strap the probe to the actual fermenter, or jam it underneath.

If your freezer is for Kegs, I would suggest half way down the freezer (out the way). Once you start drinking your beer, you can just adjust the temp up or down to ensure correct pouring temp.

If your freezer is for Fermenting, strap the probe to the actual fermenter, or jam it underneath.

If your freezer is for Kegs, I would suggest half way down the freezer (out the way). Once you start drinking your beer, you can just adjust the temp up or down to ensure correct pouring temp.

+1

+1

For kegs I tape the probe to the side of the keg halfway down with some foam covering it.

I'd strongly suggest a $5 computer fan running off an old mobile phone charger. If you want to get fancy you can wire in a microswitch so it shuts off when the lid opens and it doesn't blow out all your cold air ;)
The problem with no fan is obviously getting warmer air at the top, which is often where your beer lines are. As the beer flows through the warm(er) lines it can cause excessive foam. Although all of my thoughts are hupothetical at this stage - I've got all the gear ready to go, including my chesty but I haven't had time to do it yet so I'm still using the old converted bar fridge with a single keg inside.

I'd strongly suggest a $5 computer fan running off an old mobile phone charger
Me too. These are so easy to make its not funny. I made the mistake of spending $10 and buying some fancy ball bearing computer fan. But since then I have come accros so many old computer fans and mobile charges I should start a on-line retail shop. Ha ha.
The one I have in my chest freezer for serving beers is hooked up to the fridgemate so it only comes on when the freezer kicks in. But as I use Cellis I only have the shortes length of beer line between the kegs and taps so theres not that much need to circulate the air up into the collar space but I now have my beer glasses sitting on a rack over the 2 lowest kegs so the fan keeps them cool too. Anything from 6 or 6 volts up to 12 will be fine for a 12v fan. I have mine mounted at the back sucking cold air up and blowing it verticaly onto the lid.

Steve

Me too. These are so easy to make its not funny. I made the mistake of spending $10 and buying some fancy ball bearing computer fan. But since then I have come accros so many old computer fans and mobile charges I should start a on-line retail shop. Ha ha.
The one I have in my chest freezer for serving beers is hooked up to the fridgemate so it only comes on when the freezer kicks in. But as I use Cellis I only have the shortes length of beer line between the kegs and taps so theres not that much need to circulate the air up into the collar space but I now have my beer glasses sitting on a rack over the 2 lowest kegs so the fan keeps them cool too. Anything from 6 or 6 volts up to 12 will be fine for a 12v fan. I have mine mounted at the back sucking cold air up and blowing it verticaly onto the lid.

Steve

How do you know which way is the right way for the fan to go in regards to pushing the air around?

How do you know which way is the right way for the fan to go in regards to pushing the air around?
I don't. It does not matter, just made sense to me to blow the cool aor up to the top but I would imagine it would not make much diff where the fan was.

Steve

I have two fans pointing down mounted high on my collar, they have a 12V plug in power supply each. The way I worked the right way for the fan to go was to wire it up, turn it on and put my hand in front of it. Also the fans usually have a scoop on the blades. The inside of the scoop should be turning so it's the pushing side this will depend on the polarity of your wirring. It should turn like a boat prop.

I agree with SJW that it doesn't matter where they are mounted as long as they are stirring the air and are spinning the right way.

Agree
Get an old computer fan in there,mine blows down and is mounted up high.
I asked for one on the forum here and at a computer shop that does repairs,there's heaps of free fans out there.
It really does not matter which way the air blowing,just imagine the circulation once the lid is closed.Oh mine runs 24/7 as well.

Batz

I should have mine going 24/7 too, now that u mentioned it. I am sure the amount of electricity it would use in a year would be near imposible to measure anyway.

Steve

I should have mine going 24/7 too, now that u mentioned it. I am sure the amount of electricity it would use in a year would be near imposible to measure anyway.

Steve

I just pulled out an old 12V fan from a computer and connected to a nokia charger, it barely spun. I've ended up using a 13.5V adapter i had laying around it was the only thing that would move the bloody thing. Just gotta figure out how to mount it.....Anyone care to post pics of theirs for ideas?

I just pulled out an old 12V fan from a computer and connected to a nokia charger, it barely spun. I've ended up using a 13.5V adapter i had laying around it was the only thing that would move the bloody thing. Just gotta figure out how to mount it.....Anyone care to post pics of theirs for ideas?

I don't have a picture (yet...) but I mounted mine using some small "L" brackets from the mechano set I had as a kid. Was a perfect fit. So just raid some poor childs mechano set.

Pok

Latest posts

Back