Fridge Set Up Info

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilipB

Reaction score
I have only just started brewing and live in SE QLD

I have 2 x 30 litre fermenters and am already starting to see the value of constant temperature regulation and control when brewing.

I suppose in simple terms, I want to know:,

1. What size bar fridge would I need to house a 30 litre fermenter in? ideas on makes and models that people use..

2. What is the temperature controller / regulator that people hard wire in? how is it wired in?

would appreciate pics if at all possible.

Currently using a sealed esky with frozen bottles and a wet towel.

Cheers,

Phil

This is the temp controller most use. Does need wiring up, but there are threads (with pics!) on how to that even I could follow.

STC-1000 is what most seem to use for temp control.

I just recieved mine from China off e-bay 25 buckaroos shipped to the front door. I have not wired it up yet though and can not vouch for its performance.

I did do a bit of research prior though, and it seems like teh go.

As for the fridge..ask around.

A lot of people are trying to offload them. I went a full size. It will hold a 60 litre fermenter if i want to brew a megaswill, and 3 of my 20 litre kegs when i finally get around to setting up...

stc-1000

I have only just started brewing and live in SE QLD

I have 2 x 30 litre fermenters and am already starting to see the value of constant temperature regulation and control when brewing.

I suppose in simple terms, I want to know:,

1. What size bar fridge would I need to house a 30 litre fermenter in? ideas on makes and models that people use..

2. What is the temperature controller / regulator that people hard wire in? how is it wired in?

would appreciate pics if at all possible.

Currently using a sealed esky with frozen bottles and a wet towel.

Cheers,

Phil

I bought a fridgemate from craftbrewer. Relatively easy to install (does need wiring). I have never wired anything together before and it was pretty easy. Looked on ebay for a second hand fridge ($50 was my top limit). I also asked everyone I knew if they were getting rid an old fridge. I wanted a full size. Sure enough a friend of a friend bought a new fridge so I picked up the old one for $0.00.
Now I have an ale brewing at exactly 18 degrees and when finished I can crash chill for the first time. Looking forward to trying a lager as well.

I just cleaned my fermenting fridge out (moldy) - i noticed its capacity is 190L, it fits a 30 l fermenter easily with only the bottom shelf kept in it. Or two 20L willow rectangular cubes.

Practical fool was just talking about a temp controller today in the ebay thread - it is already wired up and seems to be controlling his keg fridge satisfactorily - apparently reading the instructions helped alot . . .

the bigger the better.. a bar fridge will fit a 30lt fermenter IF you butcher the shelvs in the door.. some people do not like doing this... I didnt mind..

what you really want, and they can take some time to find for the right price, is an all fridge type (no freezer at the top) so you will be able to fit 2 FV inside..

1.JPG bar fridge (up high for convenience)
2.JPG Required butchering to fit FV
3.JPG 2 Types (the homer fridge is now my cold conditioning fridge)
4.JPG Only fits 1 FV or 2 cubes
5.JPG :beerbang: The shizzle

Yob

imo a chest freezer with a stc 1000 is the go. i set mine up with a heater and the freezerand keep pretty much any beer from lager to saison within half a degree of were i want it at all times. for me fridges seem to work harder and have a harder time keeping a constant temp. the drawback of the chesty though is the lifting in and out of it all the time.

imo a chest freezer with a stc 1000 is the go. i set mine up with a heater and the freezerand keep pretty much any beer from lager to saison within half a degree of were i want it at all times. for me fridges seem to work harder and have a harder time keeping a constant temp. the drawback of the chesty though is the lifting in and out of it all the time.

i would defiantly have a chest freezer if i could get one here. but would still like a fridge for lagering and another chest freezer for cold conditioning. can never have enough!!!

ok. space is premium at my place so no chest freezer :(

Latest posts

Back