"fridge Omlette" Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danman

Reaction score
hi all,
made quite a large 3 can Russian Imperial Stout the other week that was bubbling away happily down to 1040 (started at 1118) when i decided to rack into another fermenter and add some champagne yeast to help the 21g of nottingham ale yeast that was left in suspension.

here i fear ive made a boo-boo

sanitisation was paramount as usual and wort was aerated but not excessively as i added the yeast starter.

now after 48 hrs i have a stalled wort at 1040

HELP :unsure:

i hoped i havent farked it :angry: ,coz its as black as sin and has the best flavour in a stout ive made yet :super:

any ideas?

cheers,dan

far out mate that's one strong mother of a beer. just punched it into the liquorcraft calculator, so far you're at 11% given you bottle it... with an OG like that i'm not sure it would have a whole lot more to go, it might be finished.

hi all,
made quite a large 3 can Russian Imperial Stout the other week that was bubbling away happily down to 1040 (started at 1118) when i decided to rack into another fermenter and add some champagne yeast to help the 21g of nottingham ale yeast that was left in suspension.

here i fear ive made a boo-boo

sanitisation was paramount as usual and wort was aerated but not excessively as i added the yeast starter.

now after 48 hrs i have a stalled wort at 1040

HELP :unsure:

i hoped i havent farked it :angry: ,coz its as black as sin and has the best flavour in a stout ive made yet :super:

any ideas?

cheers,dan
Do you think the champagne yeast actually started Dan ? You could gently agitate the fermenter each day for 3-4 days to make sure its finished.

that is where i think the issue may lie razz,i cheated and only rehydrated the champagne yeast. i will be agitating the wort though,as you have suggested

the only non fermentable ingredient in the brew was 250g dried corn syrup so im of the belief that i should be able to ferment down to 1020/1018 area

for nottingham yeast to lower 70 odd points i think is great going concidering such high OG

for what its worth Dan Rayner's RIS (which had 3 tins of goo) had an OG of 1115, and an FG of 1028.

That was pitching 40g yeast and finishing it off with champaigne yeast. Using this method is actaly how I intend to do my next few batches of RIS.

I dont know much about champiage yeast but it would be a slow starter. And the brew does need to be really well aerated before initial pitching.

The link to Grain and Grape RIS, doesnt seem to be working so Ive attached thew downlaoded version I have.

let us know how you go. I for one would be very very interested.

View attachment Imperial_Russian_Stout.doc

this is the recipe that ive tried to mimick
my LHBS owner recognised the recipe when i walked into purchase the ingredients,partly coz he is mates with Mr Rayner.
let yas know how it works out

Back