Attenuation/Fermentability Issue with Stouts Only

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hwall95

Reaction score
So I've done about 15-20 All grains beer now and for nearly all my attenuation/FG is as predicted based off the yeast and my mashing temp apart from 3 cases: 1 stalled Ringwood Yeast, English Mild (my fault for low temp) and 2 oatmeal stouts. I've used the same recipe for both however different yeast and the second one I added a bit of lactose which has been accounted for in the higher then expected FG. So this is my recipe:

Size: 23L
Grains: All freshly milled.
4.5kg Maris Otter
1.5kg Munich I
0.5kg Malted Oats
0.35kg Choc Malt Pale - Added at end of sach. rest - before mash out
0.25kg Roasted Barley - Added at end of sach. rest - before mash out

Yeast - Both pitched at 18:
Stout 1 - Two fresh packets of Notto, rehydrated - Fermented at 18, raised to 20 once it slowed down at FG.
Stout 2 - Fresh Wyeast 1084 - Irish Ale - 1L starter on stirplate for >48 hrs - Fermented at 18, raised to 20 once it slowed down at FG.

Mash Schedule and Boil:
Mash at 67-68 for 60 min, Mash out at 78, Sparge at 78, Boil for 70min, No Chill

OG/FG Readings:
Stout 1 - 1.064/1.022
Stout 2 - 1.068/1.026 -> Note: Lactose in Stout 2 added 4 gravity points -> Currently in fermentor and around 2 weeks old.

I have done a fast ferment test on Stout 2 over three days, mixing it a large amount of Wyeast 1272 starter however it had no gravity fall. My aeration is pouring each 11L cube until half full, then placing the lid back on and shaking them vigorously. This generally provides at least 20cm of foam - basically the remaining height of the fermentor with foam. I've tested my hydrometer to see if it was out of calibration but it's accurate for water and as predicted for previous brews. I bottled around 10 Stout 1s and none of them became over carbed at all during their 2-3 month life. Just wondering why only my stouts suffer from this problem. Any chance that adding the dark grains at end sacch at Mash Out has anything to do with the increased FG? With everything I've read, it says it shouldn't because they're converted sugars and therefore only needs to be separated from the grains, however it seems to be the only thing I do differently between my stouts and my other beers.

Current plan is mixing it with cold drip coffee and cocao beans so if it's slightly sweet, it won't be an issue. If I've missed any important information, let me know. Hopefully someone may have an idea. Cheers :)

Dark grains can add to higher fg. My stouts alway finish higher than other beers, even porter.

Yep, dark grains add massively to FG, I've noticed it even in Black IPAs where the dark stuff is added to the sparge. Don't worry too much about it.

Okay cheers guy, I will just have to lift my base malt in the future to account for it. Can't wait to add some cacao and cold drip coffee to it and have it all nice and kegged.

Latest posts

Back