Fresh Wort V Ag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckenry

Brummagem
Reaction score
Hi All,
Interested to know if any Ag'ers have brewed a fresh wort from NDbrewing or Ezybrew yet? If so, how does the fresh wort stack up? We all know where AG'ers sit in regard to kits, but what about this gear?
I am in the camp that AG beats kits - modified too, every time - but if this fresh wort is up there, then the only reason to AG is the pleasure (and pain) of the process? Fresh wort is even quicker than K&K, so if the quality is right....
Whadayaureckon? :huh:
mckenry.

price factor...FWK's are about $40 arnt they?

Thats the cost of about two AG's. Never brewed a FWK so i cant comment on them as apposed to AG.

I'm obviously not in Australia, so I can't comment on the quality of the kits you named, but don't discount fresh wort kits as inferior to AG. The 2nd place American Ale (it was an American Brown) in the MCAB finals just last month was a 'hacked' fresh wort kit. Some grains steeped & extra hops added, and that was it. For it to earn a silver medal at MCAB speaks to its quality. AG is attractive because the brewer has complete control. Kits are more convenient and faster, but at the loss of control over the finished product.

Just my $0.02.

price factor...FWK's are about $40 arnt they?

Thats the cost of about two AG's. Never brewed a FWK so i cant comment on them as apposed to AG.

Yep, $37 with Saf yeast or some places throw in Whitelabs for $47.

Considering the price, and the fact that they are made by professional brewers who know what they are doing, it could be expected that FWKs are superior.

However, I have had side-by-side tastings of wort kits and home AG beers of similar style made by the same brewers and to be honest I don't think there is a huge difference at all. So much of the end result is dependent on fermentation conditions, yeast type etc.

At least with AG you know exactly what ingredients you are using, and that has to be an advantage for the brewer with time available.

I'm obviously not in Australia, so I can't comment on the quality of the kits you named, but don't discount fresh wort kits as inferior to AG. The 2nd place American Ale (it was an American Brown) in the MCAB finals just last month was a 'hacked' fresh wort kit. Some grains steeped & extra hops added, and that was it. For it to earn a silver medal at MCAB speaks to its quality. AG is attractive because the brewer has complete control. Kits are more convenient and faster, but at the loss of control over the finished product.

Just my $0.02.

def not discounting FW ! Think they are brilliant for the AG quality seeker with ZERO time.

Considering the price, and the fact that they are made by professional brewers who know what they are doing, it could be expected that FWKs are superior.

However, I have had side-by-side tastings of wort kits and home AG beers of similar style made by the same brewers and to be honest I don't think there is a huge difference at all. So much of the end result is dependent on fermentation conditions, yeast type etc.

At least with AG you know exactly what ingredients you are using, and that has to be an advantage for the brewer with time available.

Brewed a few fresh wort kits and been more than happy with results. For your money you expect a BETTER beer than K & K. I've used then as a means of tasting new brews / styles that I wouldn't have done otherwise - an ND Cerny Pivo as was with wyeast american ale II done as a steam beer was my first introduction to A. dark czech style beer B. liquid yeasts C. steam beer process. (albeit in an amateurish way) Result was a bloody lovely brew which I am finishing off one bottle every month (got 6 to go). Learnt heaps from the experience. Did a NNL Bohemian pilsner with Wyeast Kolsch yeast which also was a pearler - drunk them all over a two week binge !

Ditto Blackbock's comments that I don't know what went into the wort but am confident I learnt enough to make something similiar using AG methods. Got an ND porter bought cheap (who knows how it's been stored in a hardware store but for $20 I'll take a risk) in the fridge now which I will make up soon so I can have a simple black beer on tap and also allow me to compare the taste to a few dark AG beers I'm keen to brew for case swaps. That said I've also tasted someone else's brew done from a wortpak that was disappointing - but I don't know how he did it or what yeast he used. That will certainly affect the outcome.

The main thing against wort kits is probably the cost. If you are happy with that and don't want to brew anything, go for it.

freshys are excellent just not as cost effective as the other alternatives.

So much of the end result is dependent on fermentation conditions, yeast type etc.

Ain't that the truth!! :super: :beer:

Too often the focus is put on the "hot' side of brewing, whereas massive impact to the finished product occurs in the "cold" side where our yeastie mates go to work. A good yeast and good cold side process can make an average brew better, likewise a poor yeast choice/health/quantity and poor process can destroy a well crafted wort.

FWK's are a great way for K&Kers to experience the difference that comes from AG brewing, however they still need to understand the basics like sanitation and temperature control to get the best from them. FWK's have convinced many - myself included, to build their AG rig.

as for fermenting freshwort kits it is like coridal just add water and yeast but it is a good way too see what ag beer is like to se if it is worth doing ag
fwk just a kwick way of doing it but more $$$$$

FWKs are excellent if time is short.

However, a well-crafted AG will rival or surpass a FWK, and come in much cheaper (excluding the time factor).

ive done a fresh wort kit from G&G it made a top quality wit beer just a bit pricey at $40.00 & you only get 15lts

I've wondered about FWK v AG and tried neither :angry:
but will have a FWK on the shopping list. What about added preservatives? is there any in Wort kits? Ive wondered how they last the time from kettle to fermenter without going bad.

Ain't that the truth!! :super: :beer:

Too often the focus is put on the "hot' side of brewing, whereas massive impact to the finished product occurs in the "cold" side where our yeastie mates go to work. A good yeast and good cold side process can make an average brew better, likewise a poor yeast choice/health/quantity and poor process can destroy a well crafted wort.

FWK's are a great way for K&Kers to experience the difference that comes from AG brewing, however they still need to understand the basics like sanitation and temperature control to get the best from them. FWK's have convinced many - myself included, to build their AG rig.

Hit the nail on the head there mate. I recently did a job somewhere and the manager of the place was quizing me about home brewing after i told him of my recent successes and showed him pics of my brew rig on my laptop.

He asked me...... does you beer have that...... "Home Brew Taste", turning up his nose when he said it.

I asked what yeast he uses (he makes coopers kits), he said..... the yeast in the lid, what else would you use?

I asked him...... what temp do you firment at? He said ....... oh whatever...... 25 deg i guess, room temp!

I got him to right down "US-05" and told him to keep it under 20 deg. He had no idea that yeast had any effect on the final quality of the beer. HE hasnt brewed in 6 months because i didnt like the "home brew taste" in the beer.

HE is going to have another go.

Sorry for the :icon_offtopic: ....... as far as FWK's go, i tried a couple of the St peters ones a few years back and wasnt impressed.

Grunpys saved me and my AG future with their No.1's.... if anyone remembers them. Bloody top brews.

I Got AG brewing imediatly and never looked back.

couldnt have said it better crozdog
The only difference is I have to finish mine

franko

mmmmmmmm! yeah right.

Am i going to have to drive to sydney and do it myself?

Na, it wont be shiny enough, but it will make beer, and thats the bit that impresses people! :)

cheers

mmmmmmmm! yeah right.

Am i going to have to drive to sydney and do it myself?

Na, it wont be shiny enough, but it will make beer, and thats the bit that impresses people! :)

cheers

Come on down Tony
I'll even pick you up

These temp controllers are driving me nuts
P.S. Please bring polish

Franko

Don't count your chickens! This is very much still in debate... :ph34r:

Don't believe everything Darren writes :lol: :D

I think the debate has ended, but as usual it is up to the individual to make up their own mind...........

FWIW, I have fermented cubes which have been in storage for over a year & produced excellent beverages.

I've done a couple of FWK's, 1 black ale and 1 belgian lager and they were very good.
They are an AG reduced to 15l anyway, you just top them up to 23l.
Bit off topic but I'm finally planning my AG setup, how much does an average AG brew cost, say an ausie black ale??

Dave

Back