Fresh wort kits vs Can worts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowlyf

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm considering brewing with a fresh wort kit this weekend. Does anyone have much experience with these? You seem plenty of them at the home brew shop which tells me they must be pretty decent surely? Add some hops? Steep some grains? What do you think?

Are they the FWKs that come in those 20 litre plastic jerries? Or are they the 5 litre concentrated ones or whatever they are? I've never actually used one although I suppose I make home made versions of the 20L ones by doing AG and no-chilling in plastic cubes, which I understand is basically how they are made anyway. These beers turn out excellently, if that's any help. B)

Never tried one but I understand the product. Its like canning in food production but not quite. Its cubing that has grown popular in home brewing. Its the same way I bottle my best chilli sauces to last a year plus and it works. Bottle it at flame out = close to 100c. More like ~90c then properly sealed will contain the contents for later usage.
If you are bound to extract brewing then its an interesting option.

Good fwk kits just need a decent yeast and temp control.
Easier and better result than can kit, all else being equal - just more expensive.

Very interesting. Seeings as I have potentially stuffed my latest batch, and I am eager for some good results in home brewing, I may consider this.

Rocker1986 said:
Are they the FWKs that come in those 20 litre plastic jerries? Or are they the 5 litre concentrated ones or whatever they are? I've never actually used one although I suppose I make home made versions of the 20L ones by doing AG and no-chilling in plastic cubes, which I understand is basically how they are made anyway. These beers turn out excellently, if that's any help. B)
Yeah the 20L ones!

Recently did a double choc stout fresh wort kit.
I usually do partial mash but did this due busy lifestyle and I was running out of beer.....
I bottled it last week, so I'll know in a month wether it's any good.

Expensive but easy, no mess.
You get a free cube.
Convenience more than anything.

Ah yep, the 20L ones I'm pretty sure you just dump into the fermenter and pitch the yeast. Maybe top up with water but not sure on that? Temp control would be advised for achieving the best results coupled with a good yeast of course.

I often browse the FWKs at Craftbrewer (no affiliation etc) when I'm down there, they have some pretty interesting ones. I nearly bought a couple to get cubes for my own AG brews but decided to get some 25 litre cubes from a camping shop to do slightly bigger batches.

I did get one from CraftBrewer, all I needed to add was the yeast, treated it withg the same love and care as my usual brews, and came up a very nice beer. $50 + yeast for 20L of very nice beer.

Rocker1986 said:
Ah yep, the 20L ones I'm pretty sure you just dump into the fermenter and pitch the yeast. Maybe top up with water but not sure on that? Temp control would be advised for achieving the best results coupled with a good yeast of course.

I often browse the FWKs at Craftbrewer (no affiliation etc) when I'm down there, they have some pretty interesting ones. I nearly bought a couple to get cubes for my own AG brews but decided to get some 25 litre cubes from a camping shop to do slightly bigger batches.
25 L cubes sound good were did you get them ? How much were they ? Are they cubes ?
cheers Rude

panspermian said:
Recently did a double choc stout fresh wort kit.
I usually do partial mash but did this due busy lifestyle and I was running out of beer.....
I bottled it last week, so I'll know in a month wether it's any good.

Expensive but easy, no mess.
You get a free cube.
Convenience more than anything.
Yeah that's it. I'll be pushed for time this weekend so I might give it a go.

What's so good about a free cube may I ask? What is their use?

American IPA recipe

IPA/IPL/PA Fresh Wort
20g Centennial Hops (20 min boil)
15g Simcoe Hops (10 min boil)
15g Simcoe Hops (0 min boil)
10g Simcoe and 10g Centennial Hops (dry hop)
Wyeast American Ale (WY1056) or Safale US05
Procedure
Well in advance of preparing recipe, place 5-10 litres of water in a fridge and chill*
Bring 2 litres of fresh wort to the boil in a saucepan. Simmer 20g of Centennial in a hop
After 10 minutes, add 15g of Simcoe hops to the hop sock and continue to
After a further 10 minutes, turn off the heat, add 15g Simcoe hops and steep for 10
Remove hop sock and pour wort into the fermenter. Add the remaining fresh wort and top up with chilled and tap water to 20 litres at 20-25°C and stir vigorously for 5
Add yeast, seal fermenter and store in cool conditions **
On day 4 of fermentation, place 10g of Simcoe and 10g Centennial hops in a sanitised hop sock and hang in fermenter. (If kegging, hang the hop sock in the keg after transferring the beer from the fermenter). Complete fermentation as

Lowlyf said:
Yeah that's it. I'll be pushed for time this weekend so I might give it a go.
What's so good about a free cube may I ask? What is their use?
Look up no chill which is usually associated with all grain but can be used for larger size extract brews.
However cubes are made from the same matetial as plastic fermenters (high density polyethylene or HDPE) and can be used as fermenters. Basically you pay for wort, get a free fermenter.

rude said:
25 L cubes sound good were did you get them ? How much were they ? Are they cubes ?
cheers Rude
Yeah mate, same shape just slightly bigger. These things are bloody good thick walled sturdy things too, might even outlast me :lol:. It was called Down Under Camping or something but the shop isn't there anymore, can't remember the price now, about $20 or $30 I think. Bunnings sell them as well but they're different to the ones I have.

I've found them the perfect size for my 40L urn BIAB setup. :)

I use them a lot. I have used both the 15l and 20l FWKs. Really easy to use and produces a good beer.

I am in desperate need of a secondary so I don't run into the same issue I had on the weekend and I could use the cube as one correct? That's so good

I've done a bunch of them and they always make good beer. Done both the 5l and various 15l Styles.

of all the 15l the ESB ones were the best but they don't make them at the moment as their brewer left . their 5l ones were not bad but again they arnt making them at the moment. last I heard anyway

I don't really like the Brewers selection ones. They all come out with too low og when topped to 20l. Mid strength at best.beer tastes good . but I don't want to pay $50 for 20 liters of 3.2% beer

I've done a few of the All in Brewing ones and they are good. especially the black IPA .

I have done 1 of the flat rock brewing ones and that came out amazing,. those are 23l and you don't top up . choice is limtied on those as they one seem to make 1 at a time and I have only seen them at daves home brewing in sydney

I have moved to can recepies at the moment just cause there is more choice and variety and i feel a little more involved with the process

Lowlyf said:
I am in desperate need of a secondary so I don't run into the same issue I had on the weekend and I could use the cube as one correct? That's so good
What happened on the weekend? If it was to do with transfer to a secondary, it may have been an unnecessary step. I'm not about to debate the pros and cons of a secondary fermentation vessel, but leaving in the primary takes out a step where you can get your beer infected or introduce oxygen (something you don't want post fermentation).

You'd be better using the cube as the primary and your current fermenter as a secondary. Fermenting in a cube is common practice, and something I've done many times.
JD

JDW81 said:
What happened on the weekend? If it was to do with transfer to a secondary, it may have been an unnecessary step. I'm not about to debate the pros and cons of a secondary fermentation vessel, but leaving in the primary takes out a step where you can get your beer infected or introduce oxygen (something you don't want post fermentation).

You'd be better using the cube as the primary and your current fermenter as a secondary. Fermenting in a cube is common practice, and something I've done many times.
JD
Ah I just bottled too soon. It seems as if the fermentation hadn't finished and I primed the batch and bottled it. I noticed at the end of the bottling I had no yeast cake so I either stirred it all up with the priming or it hadn't finished fermenting. Stupid mistake and one I have learnt from.

As for the cubes, do they not have an airlock valve? Isn't there a risk of the lid blowing off?
Nor do they have a tap so that would require a siphon correct?

You can fit them with a tap. They have a bung and thread so when empty, simply dril out the centre of the bung hole, clean and sanitise then fit the tap.
As for airlocks you can either drill a lid and fit with rubber bung and airlock, put a piece of cling film and rubber band around the lidless entrance or put the lid on and back off a dew notches. This is enough for gas to escape. Don't forget as the cube will eventually explode (it will expand significantly first though so you'd have to be blind, forgetful and daft for it to get to that point).

IMO Fresh Wort Kits are generally far superior. Some stores are good enough to have samples you can taste as there are some very ordinary ones out there. I occasionally get a FWK when my stocks are getting hammered and are poor on time. Grain & Grape do some magnificent ones.

Latest posts

Back