Fresh wort kits vs Can worts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a coconut porter using brewers choice "black cat" wort as a base and it turned out fantastic.

Are the 20L FWK full volume and don’t need watering down? If so then you only need a tap and perhaps a short length of hose and most people would have everything else needed to get started in brewing.

As the beer can be fermented and also dispensed from the cube. All as you would need to do is open the cube pour in a dried yeast screw the lid back on tight lay it on its side fit a tap, open the tap and use the short length of tube as a blow off from the tap.

You wouldn’t even need any cleaner or sanitiser as the only things that would need this are the hose and a sharp knife or drill bit that you would need to carefully cut the tap hole and that could be done in a saucepan of boiling water.

The only reason it couldn’t be fermented upright with a bit of cling wrap is there wouldn’t be any headspace so would get a bit messy without a blow off.
There are pictures of a full cube I fermented using the tap as a blow off in post #52 here

I'm a big fan of the all in brewing fwk.
I have done the ruby and the kala Amber and black ipa.
They show the all grain recipe on the kit and recommend the dry hop amounts.
Every time they turn out perfect. 15L kit to make 20L.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1436841319.611739.jpg

tugger said:
attachicon.gif
The black IPA is good. I just finished off my last longneck of the Poca IPA and I thought it was good too

I did the porter and teh ealry bottles were good but had some weird infection/ not finsiehd fermenting / gusher situation with it . had to chuck most of it

I just put a Torpedo IPA clone on using a wet pack. First time I have honestly used one. I was planning on putting some extra hops in for the boil until I realised how much was actually in there. Then I packed it up and put back into the fridge. $48.50 for the kit, with good yeast too, If I had bought the hops, yeast and malt seperately it would have cost me closer to $70. Give it a shot....Im going to be using them more often now. Seems like far better value than buying small quantities of months old hops....

Cheers guys, all this positive feedback from peoples experience is exciting

I'm not into using pre-made wort... BUT, reading through this, it occurred to me that for the container as well it's a better deal than just buying the cube from bunnings.

Might be worth doing when stocks are low (like now haha).. Now I've started doing some sour projects I need all the containers I can get...

dannymars said:
I'm not into using pre-made wort... BUT, reading through this, it occurred to me that for the container as well it's a better deal than just buying the cube from bunnings.

Might be worth doing when stocks are low (like now haha).. Now I've started doing some sour projects I need all the containers I can get...
Yeah that's it, I need the container as well and I need beer so win win really

I have done the Belgian Dubbel from Craftbrewer. Turned out fantastic. And I have re used the cube many times no chilling.

tugger said:
attachicon.gif
These guys at All Inn brewing co are literally just down the road from me. I'm going to go and pick up a fwk from them this weekend. STOKED!

MIght as well try a few of their beers while you're at it too. I went there for something once, I think it might have been their opening weekend, and the beers were excellent. :)

How long would the shelf life be on a fresh wort kit?

How long do all grain brewers keep their wort in a cube before you decide to brew it up?

I bought an All In Brewing citra pale fwk and noticed it was 6 months old when I got it home. Drinking a glass now. It doesn't taste bad at all but it has no aroma and the taste is pretty bland, maybe it's past its best.. I get much better results just using kits with some additions.

I think it's about 2 years. Personally I don't like to leave them much past 3 months; I know they won't go off or anything like that, but I wonder if the hop influence diminishes in the cube in the same way it does post fermentation in the bottle or keg? So yeah, I prefer to ferment them as fresh as I can. Most of mine sit there about 1-2 months at the moment, before I ferment them.

AlwayzLoozeCount said:
How long would the shelf life be on a fresh wort kit?

How long do all grain brewers keep their wort in a cube before you decide to brew it up?

I bought an All In Brewing citra pale fwk and noticed it was 6 months old when I got it home. Drinking a glass now. It doesn't taste bad at all but it has no aroma and the taste is pretty bland, maybe it's past its best.. I get much better results just using kits with some additions.
Maybe try just dry hopping it slightly

AlwayzLoozeCount said:
According to their site the Citra Pale Ale is only 15 IBU, so that could be the issue?

Brewing the ALL IN Citra Pale Ale at the moment. Nearly ready to bottle and should be fantastic.

Latest posts

Back