Fresh Wort Kits - Dry Hop Or Not?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QIK86

Reaction score
Hi all,

Got an ND Brewing Norwest Pale Ale fresh wort kit. Just wondering how many dry hop these as opposed to just brewing as is?

Gday qik86,

I cant believe it, there is someone on here that is close to where I live, never thought it would happen.. :icon_chickcheers:

Ive had the Norwest Pale and found it didnt need anything else really, wouldnt hurt to dry hop though to freshen it up a little.
It is a Cascade based Wort and prob would be alright to throw in 10gr to dry hop..

What sort of brewing you doing at the moment?

Still just brewing kits. Although I have started doing some boils with liquid malt extract and hop pellets to add a bit more variety and keep it interesting. Thought I might as well give one of these fresh wort things a go to see what all the fuss is about with AG. :)

Was thinking of using a combination of Cascade and Chinook to dry hop with.

On a different note, have you got any craft beers on your menu yet? ;) (http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25377)

I'd add dry hops after the majority of primary fermentation has finished (or dry hop in secondary fermenter) to give it a bit more hop oomph (as some hop aromatics gets blown off during fermentation). Depending on how much you like your hops, 10-20g+ would be about right.

Hi all,

Got an ND Brewing Norwest Pale Ale fresh wort kit. Just wondering how many dry hop these as opposed to just brewing as is?
Hey QIK86
I do this one a lot these days as dedicating a full day to AG is out of the question at the mo.
To make up the 22-23L I add;
300g Liquid wheat malt with 10g each of Cascade & Chinook (have done Cascade & willamette) - just simmer for 10mins,
At racking to secondary - or day 4 in primary if you're not a racker - I add a further 15g each of the above mentioned hops.
I use Wyeast 1056 - American Ale but SafAle US-05 is excellent as a dry yeast.
Ferment @ 16-18C
This is a pretty good example of an American Pale Ale - close to a LCPA or Alpha Pale Ale.
Hope you give this one a go :icon_cheers:
mckenry

Thanks mckenry. I might try that next time I do one of these, but with plain old light liquid malt instead of the wheat.

For this one I think I'll just make it up to 20lt as per the instructions and dry hop with 15g each of Cascade and Chinook.

Latest posts

Back