Fresh Hops For Sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that many people have access to that level of acetone Jase :p

Long story short, I imagine freezing fresh hops would be like freezing lettuce, and that never ends well....

Not that many people have access to that level of acetone Jase :p

Long story short, I imagine freezing fresh hops would be like freezing lettuce, and that never ends well....

I should have said 'good quality acetone'. It's as easy as looking at the distributor's MSDS. EDIT: And if in doubt, take a couple of hundred ml and let it sit in a glass evaporation dish (no need to buy a specific scienticic supply, any smooth glass bowl will do), then once the liquid has 'vanished', hold the bowl to a light source, or run your finger over the surface. You'll know soon enough if there's any impurities or denaturing agents present.

If freezing hops will result in a frozen lettuce style outcome, what is the issue, if the flavours are still maintained... you're not eating it, you're throwing it into either a boil or in the ferment as a late hopping. The question shouldnt be about appearance, but what flavours are lost by freezing, ie where are the bitters in the plant material, are they glandular? And are they oily ? I seem to notice a very slight oily sheen on ferments, that are not infection, so I wonder if this is the water extraction of trichome material from the cones. So hard to tell , being that the hops are a small % of the total volume of any given ferment.

Yeah I was actually referring to the way acetone is used extact oil/resin from a certain relative of the hop. :ph34r:

Ah yea sorry. I thought you were suggesting that when the hops were re-dried after the acetone pickling that they would be a dry hop. My mistake, I should have been smoking what you are :p
Which is apparently good for whatever ails ya :ph34r:

Cure for blindness, in a medicinal context (cant find a picture of the blind guy in the Simpsons anywhere !)

Ah yea sorry. I thought you were suggesting that when the hops were re-dried after the acetone pickling that they would be a dry hop. My mistake, I should have been smoking what you are :p

Cure for blindness, in a medicinal context (cant find a picture of the blind guy in the Simpsons anywhere !)

Hey Jase, look here. No wonder there are so many dumb yankies
http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid...il&hl=en-GB

Your not selling any rhizomes by any chance or know of any one i can get them through ??

Your not selling any rhizomes by any chance or know of any one i can get them through ??

Latest posts

Back