Fresh Hops For Sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
with respect:

I am not trying to scam anyone.
I was honest and upfront telling people in the OP they were wet hops, suitable for use as aroma hops only (ie not bittering).
If they were dry, I would be asking more than $10/100g, as your average dry POR sells for $8.95/100g and, in my opinion, Cascade, Chinook and even goldings are way better aroma hops than POR.

As far as I know, noone else in Australia sells wet hops, or even hop flowers other than POR, but I am happy to be corrected on this.
Some people like using wet hops/whole flowers, some don't, I believe there is a market for them, both with brewers and homebrewers.

BTW, I don't "look" at my hops, I put them in my beer and "taste" them

I added the smilies in my post so that you would think I was taking the piss - which I was...(I was merely teasing around the idea that one could scam people by selling wet hops as they weigh more).

you wll probably have more of a chance selling localy pick up

Do any of you guys get the weekend shopper and call all the people selling homebrew stuff and "tell em they're dreaming"???

No you ask them if they will take a less amount and if they say no you then tell them there dreaming. :lol:

If they were dry, I would be asking more than $10/100g, as your average dry POR sells for $8.95/100g and, in my opinion, Cascade, Chinook and even goldings are way better aroma hops than POR.
$8.95/100g dried hops, = five times the amount you're selling (given dried = 20% original mass). cascade, chinook and goldins are better, but not 5 times the price better, commercial prices reflect this.

As far as I know, noone else in Australia sells wet hops, or even hop flowers other than POR, but I am happy to be corrected on this.
Some people like using wet hops/whole flowers, some don't, I believe there is a market for them, both with brewers and homebrewers.

It's not an issue on whether or not there's a market for it, i'd be surprised if there wasn't. my only issue is the price. you're selling a product that's far easier to produce AND you're charging 5 times as much for it, (not to mention it's questionable shelf half life). i'm not trying to lynch you on a public forum, all i'm saying is, if you can flog off a few units at that price, congrats, but don't be surprised if you get a few raised eyebrows...

It's not an issue on whether or not there's a market for it, i'd be surprised if there wasn't. my only issue is the price. you're selling a product that's far easier to produce AND you're charging 5 times as much for it, (not to mention it's questionable shelf half life).

Here's an original idea, don't buy it if you think it's too expensive or you don't like it. In fact I do this all the time. If I see something I'd might buy but the price is too high or on reflection I decide it's not for me I don't lecture the seller on the wisdom of their pricing decisions or even the overall worthiness of their product. In fact more often than not they don't even know I was there. You should try this. Oh and don't worry about others who may not see through the seller's wily ways, caveat emptor my friend.

Hells teeth! How long have they been around? They are so close, I could walk there. In fact, I think I will :)

All this time I was ordering hops from interstate and they were right on my doorstep. D'oh!

Too busy sipping latte's overlooking your lovely lake (if the tv ads are to be believed) :lol: One word .......

Just be sure to allow for at least 1 hour each visit to beerbelly... :D

Too busy sipping latte's overlooking your lovely lake (if the tv ads are to be believed) :lol: One word .......

+1

And a bit of cash. I've resorted to writing a list of things I want to buy in an effort to reduce the number of things I actually buy. Even harder with the shiny new display cabinets now.

And hey, that area with the lake is 'aesthetically pleasing', isn't it? Who says that???

And hey, that area with the lake is 'aesthetically pleasing', isn't it? Who says that???

OT - those who dig a hole in the ground, fill it with water, build a housing development on a swamp, charge North Adelaide prices for houses and get overpaid ad ppl to jaaz it up.

Lattes or no lattes, its still an overpriced swamp with a puddle.

Back On topic - since wet hopping is apparently the dogs bollocks, anyone used their fresh chinook hops in an APA? Got recipes that let fresh, wet hops shine thru?

"Public Lynching" is a bit of an exaggeration. Let's not be too sensitive. Sure, it's overpriced, but perhaps he just didnt think of the water content when it was first mentioned. Good onya mate for wanting to share, it sounds like more of a hobby so far, rather than big businessman trying to screw everyone :rolleyes:

Somoething I'm going to throw out to you folks - what about (for personal storage of 'fresh' hops), that they be preserved in a jar of scientific grade acetone, or perhaps EtOH, which will evaporate quickly enough when you want to use the hops ? Although i would question whether these solvents will be detrimental to the preservation of the favoured alkaloids before doing so.

Im discounting the idea with drinking alcohol as a preservative - being that if you had 100grams fresh hops, of which 80 grams is water, then added that to 100 grams vodka, which is 60 grams water, your 200 grams total 'pickle' would be a ratio of 140 grams H20, and it may breed moulds (or would it?)

WARNING: This is pure speculation, don't play with solvets at home, kids. At least not based on my comments.

AND in another direction - it was mentioned that freezing fresh hops is considered a no-no due to the expansion & breaking of the cellular structure - but doesnt everyone keep their dry pellets in the freezer ? If we're to focus on the health of the desirable compund, how is it any less damaging when freezing pellets compared to frsh cones?

AND in another direction - it was mentioned that freezing fresh hops is considered a no-no due to the expansion & breaking of the cellular structure - but doesnt everyone keep their dry pellets in the freezer ? If we're to focus on the health of the desirable compund, how is it any less damaging when freezing pellets compared to frsh cones?

Fresh (wet) hops are 80% water, which is dispersed evenly throughout the flower. Dry hops have very little water. Water when it freezes, expands and forms icicles. Icicles = sharp.

Hey unfair!!! It was just sheep paddock when we bought our block and prices were reasonable back then.

Anyway, it is highly sought after 'cos it's so close to Beerbelly :) Of course the prices are high.

"Public Lynching" is a bit of an exaggeration. Let's not be too sensitive. Sure, it's overpriced, but perhaps he just didnt think of the water content when it was first mentioned. Good onya mate for wanting to share, it sounds like more of a hobby so far, rather than big businessman trying to screw everyone :rolleyes:

Somoething I'm going to throw out to you folks - what about (for personal storage of 'fresh' hops), that they be preserved in a jar of scientific grade acetone, or perhaps EtOH, which will evaporate quickly enough when you want to use the hops ? Although i would question whether these solvents will be detrimental to the preservation of the favoured alkaloids before doing so.

Im discounting the idea with drinking alcohol as a preservative - being that if you had 100grams fresh hops, of which 80 grams is water, then added that to 100 grams vodka, which is 60 grams water, your 200 grams total 'pickle' would be a ratio of 140 grams H20, and it may breed moulds (or would it?)

WARNING: This is pure speculation, don't play with solvets at home, kids. At least not based on my comments.

Or perhaps chop up the hops soak in acetone, strain let to evaporate and what do you have????

Jase me old mate 2 questions?

What drugs do you take?

And where can I get some?

Um, Beer. Isn't that enough ? :huh:

Or perhaps chop up the hops soak in acetone, strain let to evaporate and what do you have????

Acetone will evaporate at a rate far greater than that of the water content within the hops. Do an experient, take 50ml of acetone i a bowl, and 50ml of water in a separate, but identical bowl. Which bowl's going to be bone dry in a couple of hours?

mmmm, Acetone soaked hops, how to get that nail polish remover taste/smell without fermenting high......:p

Latest posts

Back