Fresh Hops For Sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_alk

Reaction score
FRESH aroma hops for sale

I have limited quantities of the following hop flowers:

Cascade
Goldings
Hallertau
Chinook

These are all organically grown in WA (not certified) and freshly vacuum packed in 100g portions.
They are wet, (ie not dried) and perfect for late hopping
Price is $10/100g plus postage.

pm me for details

Allan

i would of thought they will go moldy whie shipping if they are wet but i dont know much about vacuume packed stuff??

are these home grown? also, why haven't they been dried? or is grassy beer in?

and is this 100g wet hop (= much less than 100g when dried)?

they're intended for wet hopping
and yes, the dry weight will be much less than the wet weight.
I have a small hopyard I am developing. At present I have 14 plants, but looking to expand it next season.

What AA% are they?
Cheers
Steve

I have vacuum packed wet hops before, they go bad VERY quickly. Have you successfully done this before? You should give people some idea of how long they can keep the hops for before using them. My experience suggests a few days max.

FRESH aroma hops for sale

I have limited quantities of the following hop flowers:

Cascade
Goldings
Hallertau
Chinook

These are all organically grown in WA (not certified) and freshly vacuum packed in 100g portions.
They are wet, (ie not dried) and perfect for late hopping
Price is $10/100g plus postage.

pm me for details

Allan

When you dry hops they lose up to 80% of their weight.

So you are selling ~20g of hops for $10..... :ph34r:

You dont work for Brewcraft by any chance? :lol:

When you dry hops they lose up to 80% of their weight.

So you are selling ~20g of hops for $10..... :ph34r:

You dont work for Brewcraft by any chance? :lol:

I was going to say they same thing and also we dont know the AA :D

ok, good, as long as i'm not the only one failing to see the incentive here...

Too slow I was.

All of the above pretty much.

I just dried around 100g of POR flowers and ended up with a small pack of 20g thats sitting in the freezer now.

:lol: Looks like DrSmurto is the only one with balls around here :lol:

20% was being generous but thought if i was too harsh i would have the usual suspect jumping own my throat....

dried weight is 10-25% of wet weight - from Link

Didnt ask about year or AA. Got away with that once, didnt want to tempt fate with the angry, opinionated one. :p

wet hops you wouldn't be able to freeze either would you? the water in the cells would sheer them, so when you thaw i imagine they'd be jelly. and i know for a fact, mould grows in fridges. >.>

i think you're going to have to dry them if you want to sell any...

a couple of points:

1. they are fresh hops intended for use in wet/late/dry hopping. As such, they are intended to give you aroma not bitterness, thus the AA is not relevant.
2. If you are using wet hops, you need to multiply your usual dry hop weight by about 5 times. ie if you use 30g of finishing hops, then you will need about 150g of wet hop flowers to achieve a similar effect.
3. they are vacuum packed to remove most/all air and then frozen. I am told they should be ok to keep frozen for up to 6 months (see below).

have attached some additional info from an experienced fellow wet hop user who I know personally:

"Wet hopping / fresh hopping

Wet hopping is one of the great privileges of brewers with access to fresh hops.

Beer made with fresh hops tastes amazing! I make analogies with many other foods and drinks, but

coffee is one that most people can relate to. Think of the difference between an espresso made with

freshly roasted, freshly ground coffee beans compared to an instant coffee. This goes some way

towards describing the difference in complexity, flavour and quality of the beer you can make.

Wet hopping or fresh hopping is simply brewing with fresh picked green hop flowers instead of

dry flowers or pellets.

You basically want the flowers to go straight into the kettle once they are picked, so do everything

reasonably possible to brew with them on the day you pick them. Also fridge them ASAP in an

unsealed bag if there is any delay.

I am obsessed with making and obviously drinking the cleanest most natural, freshest, tastiest beer.

This search has lead me into growing my own organic hops and also into wet hopping. What you

gain by using fresh flowers over dry is the most volatile oils and esters, lost in the drying process that

you didnt even know existed until you have tried your first wet hopped beer. Because of this

volatility your fresh hops are best utilised in flavour and or aroma hopping. Most volatiles are lost in

a long boil, so any where from a 0 to 15 minutes boil is best or they can go straight into the fermenter

(I usually pasteurise the flowers for a few minutes in hot water to prevent possible infection).

In wet hopping, your brew schedule remains the same. The bittering hops are boiled as normal and

the fresh hops added late in the boil.

The only adjustment you need to make to your recipes for the wet hops is to take the original weight

quantity for dry hops and multiply it by 5. Dont be concerned, you are not using five times the

amount of hops to make the same amount of beer! When you dry hop flowers for storage purposes

they end up (about) five times lighter. So if your recipes are based on dry flowers or pellets, simply

put 5 times more fresh hops by weight to compensate for the weight of the water still in the flowers

and you will be fine. If you are using a combination of wet and dry hops in one recipe you only

increase the quantities of the wet hops.

The only other thing to consider if you normally use pellets is that instead of the sludge in your kettle

at the end, you will have whole flowers. A screen at the bottom of the kettle or a hop bag will solve

potential blockages when you transfer your wert from the kettle. If you are keen you can also use a

hop back look online for information on how to make one.

I try to drink my fresh hop beers within 3 to 4 months, its not that they arent still excellent after that

time I just feel that you get the most from the experience while the beer is still fresh. After this time

there is less and less difference between a wet or a dry hopped beer. So they tend to be a real treat

for that period of time after harvest time. Dont forget though, fresh hops can be frozen, kept fresh

and used any time. I would suggest 6 months as a reasonable maximum for freezing; however I

havent tried longer so it might be ok."

Allan

oh, I picked them 2 days ago, so I guess that makes them 2009?

thus the AA is not relevant.

1. Good luck on your venture.
2. probably should be posted in retail section as your a business.
3. where have you referenced that material from about wet hopping?
4. your saying AA isnt relevant? are you sure your a brewer? late additions have an effect on bitterness just not a a lot.
5. Im sorry but i think you'll haver a hard time selling to anyone here @ 20g of hops for $10. Even brewcraft are half the price.
6. have a look at some of the other hops prices around.

I hear what you are saying and wouldnt mind giving it a shot but its too expensive. For example for a standard brew I normally add say 30gms for flavour at, lets say 20 mins and 30gms for aroma at 5 mins or flameout. Thats 60gms. If your friend is saying use 5 times as much thats 300gms, i.e. $30.00. Like I said I'd love to try to see the difference but I couldnt afford it. Good luck with your hop plot.
Cheers
Steve

a couple of points:

1. they are fresh hops intended for use in wet/late/dry hopping. As such, they are intended to give you aroma not bitterness, thus the AA is not relevant.
2. If you are using wet hops, you need to multiply your usual dry hop weight by about 5 times. ie if you use 30g of finishing hops, then you will need about 150g of wet hop flowers to achieve a similar effect.

Allan

Late hopping, as CM2 has already said, still contributes to overall IBU, more so in the case of the no chillers.

And not only are you trying to sell a bag that is 80+% water for $10 (will remember that once my tanks are full again - 18,000L of water = $$$$$$) you want us to use 5 times the amount we normally do. :huh:

Sure you are not a politician?

wet hopping sounds interesting, but the price just isn't right.
cheers

Latest posts

Back