Fresh Hops For Sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He is member 1731...so he has been around for some time...just waiting, just waiting until the time is right - when the hop supplies are down and us brewers are desperate for any hops at any price! :lol: :blink:

Too bad you let the cat out of the bag and let us know that the hops were wet - and THEN tried to justify it... :p

Next time you try and scam us - just add about 5 times as much tact ;)

Cheers
Phil

edit: Smilies

FFS guys,
where else can you get wet hops ?

This guy is making them available for homebrewers, most people here dont grow thier own, so they dont have access to these type of hops,

$30 bucks or so to try a new style of hopping sounds ok to me,

And attack and deconstruction might work in the scientific research world smurfto, but it isnt neccessary in this thread

Next time you try and scam us - just add about 5 times as much tact.

:huh: I doubt he was trying to scam us. Yeah maybe he hadnt done enough research/homework on prices of hops, how much we use etc....

FFS guys,
where else can you get wet hops ?

This guy is making them available for homebrewers, most people here dont grow thier own, so they dont have access to these type of hops,

$30 bucks or so to try a new style of hopping sounds ok to me,

And attack and deconstruction might work in the scientific research world smurfto, but it isnt neccessary in this thread

i'm all well and for someone supplying wet hops, but picking and packing wet hops takes a lot less effort than dried hops, let alone pelletising them etc. It's like diesel, easier to produce, less in demand than petrol, but for some reason, more expensive?

He is member 1731...so he has been around for some time...just waiting, just waiting until the time is right - when the hop supplies are down and us brewers are desperate for any hops at any price! :lol: :blink:

Too bad you let the cat out of the bag and let us know that the hops were wet - and THEN tried to justify it... :p

Next time you try and scam us - just add about 5 times as much tact ;)

Cheers
Phil

edit: Smilies

+1 for phillip being awarded Douche of the Week!

jeez you guys are quick to smack a bloke down.

i agree he needs to do some more research but its no need for a public forum lynching.

oh and anyone not familar with wet hopping - try a cascade "first harvest" next time they release it - its a once a year release i think... nearly hands down the best beer i've tasted and its hopped with wet freshly picked hops.

but its no need for a public forum lynching.

appears to happen quite often unfortunately, some new or infrequent poster selling something is usually pounced upon and prodded with pitch forks as if he's a witch or the likes.

Nice idea for a business however I think by properly drying the hops you'll get more happy customers than if they turn up mouldy or soggy.

I think that by receiving them after they have been frozen it kinda negates the "wet"hop benefit as being frozen while wet you'd get more cell rupture and more grassy flavour.

Keep working with it, i'm sure plenty of people will be keen to buy freshly dried flowers, i just see too many pitfalls with buying "wet" hops.

Q

appears to happen quite often unfortunately, some new or infrequent poster selling something is usually pounced upon and prodded with pitch forks as if he's a witch or the likes.

I don't think infrequent posters who sell something get lynched here...

Basically anyone trying to sell me something that is 5 times the price I would normally pay - and then trying to justify it - well, I think it is a laugh, as my first post was trying to suggest.

Sort of like Dr Evil asking the americans for $1 million dollars. Uneducated about the value of money and ill timed...a top effort but still a laugh!

So freezing something that is >80% water and then sticking it in the post is a good idea?

As Mike said, freezing a plant that contains water ruptures the cells.

some valid concerns and/or questions have been raised, and for the most part, in a friendly 'thanks but no thanks' manner, but agree that it's taken a bit of a turn on the harsh side....the OP has been completely open about the condition of the product, and his reasoning (agree with it or not) as to why they are like this, and how they can be used (agree or not)...so no need to get nasty, imo....

Part of the problem, as I see it, is too many 10 gallon hats on 5 gallon heads :(

stagga.

yep, I reckon if you want to wet hop your beer, you're going to have to grow them yourself - or have them nearby at least. Not too keen on having them vaccuum sealed wet, then frozen, then posted. $ is another question though and you'll get what the market is prepared to pay.
They are very hard to come by, for the reasons above. Never tried a wet hopped beer, but reckon it would be worth a shot for someone growing their own - like me :D

I can say FROM EXPERIENCE that vacuum packing wet hops DOES NOT WORK. In no time at all they go bad - I opened a packet once (only weeks after harvesting) and almost fell over from the stench of rotting vegetation.

I have no experience with freezing them. But like fresh herbs, spinach, lettuce etc, freezing usually stuffs them pretty effectively. They may still "taste" ok though, just look like mush.

4. your saying AA isnt relevant? are you sure your a brewer? late additions have an effect on bitterness just not a a lot.

A professional brewer I think you will find.

I have my own supply of fresh green hops, but otherwise would have been interested to see what difference they made to a beer, probably even $10 interested.

I am planning to pick some chinook, dry for a couple of weeks, then do a split batch with dry vs straight off the plant and see if I can tell the difference.

Edit...and BTW, dont bother asking for some, cos with the effort I put into growing mine, $10 wouldnt be enough for me to part with 100g.

This thread reminded me that last year a mate gave me 500gms ish of wet home grown POR. They've been in my freezer ever since. I just opened the packed and they smell fresher than the day he put them in. Quite nice in fact. After reading this I was expecting to put them straight in the compost. I think I might keep them and chuck them in a brew. So... maybe they are ok to be frozen?
Cheers
Steve

with respect:

I am not trying to scam anyone.
I was honest and upfront telling people in the OP they were wet hops, suitable for use as aroma hops only (ie not bittering).
If they were dry, I would be asking more than $10/100g, as your average dry POR sells for $8.95/100g and, in my opinion, Cascade, Chinook and even goldings are way better aroma hops than POR.

As far as I know, noone else in Australia sells wet hops, or even hop flowers other than POR, but I am happy to be corrected on this.
Some people like using wet hops/whole flowers, some don't, I believe there is a market for them, both with brewers and homebrewers.

BTW, I don't "look" at my hops, I put them in my beer and "taste" them

On the issue of freezing hops wet, why would this alter the aroma properties?

I thought it was the Lupulin in the flowers that was the important part for aroma.

If wet, would these also contain water and therefore be destroyed on freezing?

And at temperatures below zero I didn't realise that mould could grow, so how does this become an issue?

I am now tempted to try some wet-hop dry-hopping :D

On the issue of freezing hops wet, why would this alter the aroma properties?

After smelling my bag of wet hops freezing doesnt affect aroma....which is what big-alk is selling...frozen hops for aroma.
Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back