Freezing Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick JD

Blah Blah Blah
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has noticed any flavour changes in a beer that's been frozen solid (and hasn't burst or has been in PET). Would there be any chemical changes, or would it just freeze and then thaw and be the same as before?

Hey Mate

I froze a keg of lager once it didn't affect the flavour at all was a really good beer to drink.

I say deforst and drink

Cheers
Ras

Accidentally frozen a couple of longnecks before and the beer seems to lose its carb.

Poured semi-frozen or left to thaw and then opened?

I've poured semi-frozen bottles - by this I mean a solid centre not a beer slurpee. Actually turned a really shit kit beer into something quite drinkable. Worked well with a ginger beer too.

I left a 600ml PET in the freezer and it froze solid. When it thawed it still had all it's carbonation.

Just wondering if I can't freeze a bottle upside down and then undo the lid and flick out the sediment - recap and have clear beer like they do with champagne?

If no one has any bad effects from the freezing, I might give it a go.

I left a 600ml PET in the freezer and it froze solid. When it thawed it still had all it's carbonation.

Just wondering if I can't freeze a bottle upside down and then undo the lid and flick out the sediment - recap and have clear beer like they do with champagne?

Worth a crack on a few bottles!
Would be interested to hear the result..

From what I've read you need to freeze just the neck so the preesure of the carbed beer shoots out the frozen yeast plug in the neck. Try a bath of dry ice.

If a beer is frozen and then thawed out I imagine there may be higher co2 pressure in the head space that would absorb back into the beer in a couple of days. Maybe if once it was thawed completely, you gave it a bit of a shake, and then let it sit for a few hours, that'd make it back to normal? Just thinking anyway as shaking a keg seems to have the same affect.

Latest posts

Back