Free Home Delivery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate, I'm interested. My home brewery uses both LPG and CO2, so you are worth a try for me in the Melbourne lockdown.

I'd also like to ask you to consider offering a nitro beergas option.The big boys don't care about home brewers. Gotta be a slice of pie there. Small apples are sweet.

Kegland had micro cylinders of pure nitro for us at an exorbitant cost, but they seem to have dropped the ball on that, leaving me holding an M10 reg with no ETA in sight. I wasn't happy about buying these at the price, but it was the only game in town I could find.

I don't need or want a huge cylinder. A mini cylinder of beergas equivalent to a 2.4 kg CO2 would be fine for me and I suspect most home brewers who want to serve the occasional nitro stout or Irish ale on tap.

Tell me I'm dreaming. Or if it's all just hot air, I gas.

Fuss free service.....recommend
DSCF1064.JPG

Mate, I'm interested. My home brewery uses both LPG and CO2, so you are worth a try for me in the Melbourne lockdown.

I'd also like to ask you to consider offering a nitro beergas option.The big boys don't care about home brewers. Gotta be a slice of pie there. Small apples are sweet.

Kegland had micro cylinders of pure nitro for us at an exorbitant cost, but they seem to have dropped the ball on that, leaving me holding an M10 reg with no ETA in sight. I wasn't happy about buying these at the price, but it was the only game in town I could find.

I don't need or want a huge cylinder. A mini cylinder of beergas equivalent to a 2.4 kg CO2 would be fine for me and I suspect most home brewers who want to serve the occasional nitro stout or Irish ale on tap.

Tell me I'm dreaming. Or if it's all just hot air, I gas.
Hi There,

Probably cant do in the 2.64kg but can look into a 6kg if you are happy to look at that size cylinder. What % of Nitrogen in the Co2 do you need?

Also whereabouts are you located in Melbourne?

55 bucks a hit no thanks
Don't know how much you expect to pay but my LHBS charges $85 for a 6kg refill, and that's not delivered, a while back it was actually cheaper to buy a new full Chinese bottle.
I'd be interested in buying a Nitro 6kg, 70/30 or pure Nitrogen, would have to be shipped though. Alternatively I have kids in Artarmon (Sydney) and Preston (Melbourne) so delivery to them and I could pick up when I visit next, assuming we ever open up from Covid.

Don't know how much you expect to pay but my LHBS charges $85 for a 6kg refill, and that's not delivered, a while back it was actually cheaper to buy a new full Chinese bottle.
Hell yes. The Gas Guyz price is only $8 higher than Supagas, but they don't then charge rental on the bottle at $11/month.
My Supagas bottle should be on the way out anyway. I've been giving the family and neighbours a treat by filling their empty Sodastream bottle from it. Freeze the Sodastream bottle, then tip the donor bottle upside down with the adapter fitted and gently crack the valve, then wait. By weighing the recipient bottle before and after, I can tell that I generally get the full 400g or better, and what's that? $3.60 worth of gas at the Gas Guyz price, but you've save your loved one $19. Hell, you can charge them for the cost if you're short, and everybody is still winning.

Hi There,

Probably cant do in the 2.64kg but can look into a 6kg if you are happy to look at that size cylinder. What % of Nitrogen in the Co2 do you need?

Also whereabouts are you located in Melbourne?

Like Grumblz, I’d be stoked with a 70/30 mix. 6kg bottle would be fine too.

I own a Harris nitrogen reg (leftover from the good ol’dayz when Elgas used to supply us ) so I’m good to go.

Northern suburbs of Melbourne, me. I dialled in my postcode on your website, and got a thumbs up.

I suspect if you can make this happen, this would give you a point of difference that could build some loyalty.

Cheers.

Way back when I used to get a D sized bottle from CIG now BOC. One thing worth noting is that mixed gas bottles contain a lot less gas than do either the Nitrogen or CO2 bottles.
CO2 is a liquid filled by weight and we use the vapour, liquid turns to vapour as we draw it off, it takes around 500kPa of over pressure to keep the CO2 liquid.
Nitrogen is packaged at much higher pressure, around 2mPa (2000kPa). As we draw down the gas, the pressure drops.
Problem is with the mixed gas if it’s pressurised over 500kPa the CO2 goes back to being a liquid and you are just getting N2 until the pressure drops, then the CO2 starts going back to being a gas. Your blend ratio goes completely out the window with nearly pure N2 at the start and nearly pure CO2 at the end.
To avoid this, the new bottle of mixed gas is only pressurised to just under the vapour pressure of CO2.
Means your new bottle arrives with about the same amount of gas as a 1/4 full N2 bottle. You will go through blended gas and money way faster.
Mark

You will go through blended gas and money way faster.

Thanks for the tip Mark.

As I mentioned, I used to rent an Elgas nitro gas cylinder - can’t remember the size exactly, wasn’t the size which is almost as tall as a short bloke like me, but the one about the same height yet fatter than a 6kg CO2.

So I’d be happy to go pure nitro.

With my usage for the occasional stout and Irish ale, those bottles used to last me a couple of years. I maintained a regular CO2 bottle for my other beers.

And I go through them pretty fast. Especially if those f$&@($& Kegland duotights let the show down. Again.

Cheers.

Sound like an E size bottle, but don’t know how short you really are.
Pure N2 isn’t really all that good an answer either. Some way to blend the right amount of CO2 and N2 would be the nuts, yes they have made blending boards but they tend to be "Industrial" and hold your wallet.
Personally I think the only good thing about a Guinness type pour is the way it looks. It guts most of the aroma from beer, especially hop aroma, and the beer always lacks flavour to my mind (well tongue).
Better to serve UK cask style, great aroma and velvety smooth beer... yummmmm.
Mark

Better to serve UK cask style, great aroma and velvety smooth beer... yummmmm.
Mark
Height: Think Tyrone Lannister. I drink and I know stuff.

Nah, just vertically challenged in an average way.

Agree 100% about the noble pommy beer engine.

Once had a Timmy Taylor’s landlord off draft within a few miles of the brewery, in a pub where the bloke knew what he was doing. Very, very memorable. And they had a huge poster of @Grmblz avatar in the lounge! Loved it so much I took a photo.

I have a different view on nitro, in Guinness especially. Apart from the roast aroma, Guinness to me is all about the many intertwining flavours (including the lactic tang), and these to my tongue are enhanced by the smoothness of nitro, not subtracted by. I personally find the carbonic acid from CO2 adds an acidity that fights with the tang. You may disagree (seems you do) and that’s fine, but the widget goes ever and ever on…

Re: blending, my approach (when I could get nitro) was to carbonate to a low level with CO2, then throw a s*** ton of nitro at it on the pour. Did the job.

So @Gas Guyz, get me nitro and you’ve got a CO2 and nitro sale locked in every time.

Attachments

• B1E90900-3E11-4102-A690-51871977DC0D.jpeg
    B1E90900-3E11-4102-A690-51871977DC0D.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Off topic, found the photo. You will notice I couldn’t hold off from having a dip at it first 🤣

Attachments

• F75DD441-8C0E-409F-B699-814AD7ECF487.jpeg
    F75DD441-8C0E-409F-B699-814AD7ECF487.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 45
All the posters from Wychwood brewery were pretty good you can still get a couple on their website. Maybe Rudolf on a spit was my favourite.
Had a friend who imports beer, cold ship a firkin of TT over for me, had to do my own cellarman-ship including tutting the keg a couple of days before hammering in the tap... (yes I practiced). Yep a dam fine beer, served it with traditional pommy style pork pies and venison roll for Christmas one year, even found some Twiglets and Bramwells chutney.

Perhaps Guinness is the best example of what a Nitro pour is all about, well they invented the process so that makes sense. Probably a matter of personal taste, but I would go for the bottled made in Ireland version over the cream pour version on tap available around Australia (made under licence with ~4% St James flavour added to blonde beer).
I keep telling people "I have perfect taste, my taste suite me perfectly" long past the point where I expect everyone to agree with me and am actually happy that there is so much variety out there.
bonne variété
Mark

I'd be interested in buying a Nitro 6kg, 70/30 or pure Nitrogen, would have to be shipped though. Alternatively I have kids in Artarmon (Sydney) and Preston (Melbourne) so delivery to them and I could pick up when I visit next, assuming we ever open up from Covid.

i have re thought about this seriouly changing my view

so will be looking at going with these guys as soon as my boc bottle is empty

Latest posts

Back