Co2 and fire Extingushers again

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STEVENALI

Reaction score
Hey most of you Guys who have been here a long time know I can and do get things wrong but this is a doozy even for me. I promised a mate I would put the keg on for her party got all the gear so no worries there, checked my Co2 cylinder out it's a bit low so I take it up to the local Home brew and bugger me it's out of date I swear I only got it a few years ago, but time flies when you drink Guinness. got home in a panic and dug through all my bits and bobs and come up with the wonderfull contraption in the photo, Yes I was about to pull the trigger when I remembered I was a pressure welder in my previous life WTF are you doing you know better than to piss around with pressure cylinder at the very least you could freeze your eye balls, just then SWMBO walked through the door she knows her way around a Cylinder too, FU she says go to BOC.
I did and you know what for $79-00 they give you a full 6KGs cylinder which your take back once a year and get a new full one for $79-00 if it runs out during the year it's $79-00 to swap it.
The world has spun on it's axis a bit since I started using and renting cyliders we are like the Americans getting gas like this a Lot cheaper than I've ever known it.
Cheers Lads I reckon the new wave gas prices are all down to Home Brewers supply and Demand.
Fire Extingusher Bomb.jpg

@STEVENALI thanks for sharing. I'm just about to get into kegging, so your timing is perfect.

How long does a 6L cylinder last? I know that's a how long is a piece of string question, but let's assume I end up setting up a 2 keg kegerator and swap out 1 keg per fortnight.

Is it more economical for me to rent from BOC, or to buy my own cylinder and get it filled at my LHBS?

Last edited:
@STEVENALI thanks for sharing. I'm just about to get into kegging, so your timing is perfect.

How long does a 6L cylinder last? I know that's a how long is a piece of string question, but let's assume I end up setting up a 2 keg fermenter and swap out 1 keg per fortnight.

Is it more economical for me to rent from BOC, or to buy my own cylinder and get it filled at my LHBS?
At that rate, it'd be far more economical to buy your own cylinder and get it refilled
6L lasts me 1.5 to 2 years as I don't drink a whole lot, but I see other guys go through 1 every 6 months

At that rate, it'd be far more economical to buy your own cylinder and get it refilled
6L lasts me 1.5 to 2 years as I don't drink a whole lot, but I see other guys go through 1 every 6 months

Thanks @sp0rk

How long does a 6L cylinder last? I know that's a how long is a piece of string question, but let's assume I end up setting up a 2 keg kegerator and swap out 1 keg per fortnight.

Considering that you can get your own 6kg cylinder for a smidge more than the BOC renting price, I'd just buy your own (provided that you have somewhere nearby that will fill it for you

Sounds like BOC might have come around a bit. Have to go and see if they will do a deal on Argon...
The only thing that would worry me is how BOC will f--k it up, their accounting department has a reputation for being a black hole (or brown depending on who you ask), if there are 5 well known ways to screw up an account someone at BOC will find the 6th!
Mark

Sounds like BOC might have come around a bit. Have to go and see if they will do a deal on Argon...
The only thing that would worry me is how BOC will f--k it up, their accounting department has a reputation for being a black hole (or brown depending on who you ask), if there are 5 well known ways to screw up an account someone at BOC will find the 6th!
Mark
I'm on their D plan at the moment because I ran out of gas JUST before xmas last year and had no real other choice (no one out here fills cylinders)
I'll probably cancel the contract just before xmas this year and grab a cylinder
Pretty sure they do the other gases on the same plan, I was asking about oxygen and they said yes

I go through a 6kg bottle in just under a year, LHBS wants $69 to fill and $300+ for a bottle so BOC at $79 was a no brainer.

Latest posts

Back