• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Free: cat6 cable. ~150m in box

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While I'm tidying the brew space I might as well continue the Cup Day specials with this.

It's a 305m box of cat6 cable. I got it from a mate at work once he'd cabled his new house and I used it to connect my reno. Time to pay it forward too.

Guessing there's around 150m left.

Pickup only in Flemington.

Cheers

Breezy

When can i pick it up?
Just got a new house that's going to need some cabling done. Happy to leave a few full bottles in trade.

Just ordered several Pizza and garlic breads using Breezy mob no.

I just used it to amass vast amounts of personal data about him and got a credit card in his name.

Don't put personally identifying information on the internet, guys.

Anyways....I never saw the point in Cat 6....just an industry wank that keeps sucking in IT fools

Ducatiboy stu said:
Anyways....I never saw the point in Cat 6....just an industry wank that keeps sucking in IT fools

Don't like reliable fast networks?

Better off with fibre at 10gig network considering how far you can go.

You IT guys allways make me smile on the inside

Sorry to the OP, getting a bit off topic here.

100m is not an issue in most houses, but the cost of fiber installations can be.

I still vote cat6 at home, you can run your older 1gig gear for as long as you want and swap it out for 10gig later without a re-cable.
In a server environment, or for long runs fiber is great.

NAS, plus with some of the low latency network gear coming out gaming

Also for the record, I only use 1 gig routers. But cabling you need to plan for the future. Cat6 is not much difference in price to 5e, and makes the upgrade to 10gig later easy.

As Kev said, price diff is negligible so I went with Cat6 through my house, kinda went a bit mental with it though, ended up with about 70 lines of a mixture of cat6, coax, balanced audio and figure 8 running to various places in every room from a patch point in the garage.
Most of them are behind the plaster unterminated, just there in case.
Even cat 6 to the fridge area, not sure why I want an internet fridge, but I might in the future, but every things better with ethernet yeah?

Unless your making your runs longer then 15 metres near end cross talk (next) is the biggest issue.As far as fibre goes its only as good as the copper its running off. :)

Cat 6 is still a wank. The proper conectors are bigger and there really is no advantage over cat 5. Fibre is cheap these days.

Back