Foul Smelling Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screwtop

Inspectors Pocket Brewery
Reaction score
Propogated some Coopers Yeast from bottles of sparkling ale and made a starter. When I went to pitch it a sniff revealed an acetic smell like vinegar. Used another yeast instead. Is it normal for this yeast to have this aroma?

It's common for crook yeast to smell like this. Did you taste the fermentation?

Screwtop said:
Propogated some Coopers Yeast from bottles of sparkling ale and made a starter. When I went to pitch it a sniff revealed an acetic smell like vinegar. Used another yeast instead. Is it normal for this yeast to have this aroma?
[post="103593"][/post]​

Whoaaa. No way should it smell like that :excl:

As a serial user of this yeast in the past it should be tangy/fruity with a flava redolent of coopers sparkling.
If it does not taste/smell like that then do not (i repeat) do not pitch it.

I t is a great yeast and I plan to use it again soon in a CPA clone (AG).

Try culturing fromma fresh Pale ale maybe.

Screwtop said:
Is it normal for this yeast to have this aroma?
[post="103593"][/post]​

Nup! You screwtopped up. :eek:

Using another yeast is a sound idea. Coopers yeast should smell a little bready/fruity but by no means vinegary.

Warren -

Tasted it - Great like Coopers. Checked the smell again, definately tart acidic vinegar smell but it was on the outside of the bottle neck. What had happened was after each aeration of the starter by shaking shit out of it I released the pressure by unscrewing the cap. Some of the froth escaped and ran down the outside of the bottle, and of course left to the air, well you know the rest. Yeast tastes great, sanitised the outside of the bottle and screw cap and stored it in the fridge for the next Coopers Sparkling Clone. You beauty, would have hated throwing yeast away.

Taste it gain b4 pitching to be sure :excl:

Your tounge will tel you the truth. ;)

Well you be the judge , but you did ask

I'll chuck it ! :blink:

Batz :ph34r:

maybe start again :eek: At the very least its a valid reason to drinkm a couple of coopers again :p

Latest posts

Back