Fosters Speculation ...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's actually a mystery that some intermegabrewbevbeerEvilcorp hasn't already bought Fosters - must be one of the last holdouts in the brewing world. If it goes ahead what's the bet that Warnervale will have a dim future. Companies such as Heineken in the UK have closed down bigger breweries than Warnervale at a drop of the hat. E.g. Dunston Brewery (Newcastle Brown Ale).

So Warnervale becomes a pilot brewery? :huh:

Depends who buys who... Warnervale is coke amatil. No change for them If it's asahi who buys fosters. Me... If it has to be anyone - I'm barracking for an intense bidding war between asahi, Molson coors, SAB miller and CA... Drive the share price right up... Then an SAB Miller win.

Then if they decide to shut down my workplace - there is maybe a slight chance of a job in an international SAB brewery in addition to the stock standard "out on the street" option.

The more the two big breweries are owned by foreigners the more likely we can get good craft beer laws in Australia IMO.

The more the two big breweries are owned by foreigners the more likely we can get good craft beer laws in Australia IMO.
I'd like to see how you arrive at that conclusion.

I don't pretend to understand tax or economics but I would have thought they'd much prefer the continued market domination of the big breweries...

I don't see how SAB Miller owning Fosters would lead to a better deal for small independent breweries.

I am willing to be shown though, and I certainly like the idea!

I think the impact of these guys on craft brew excise will be limited.

Although you can run a good nationalistic argument saying all the beer companies are large foreign corps so we need a leg up for the little craft brewers.

I'm no economic guru either but I don't think it will matter...until pollies drink beer like they drink wine.....

IMO the argument that the micros currently make becomes more compelling given a foreign-owned duopoly.

I'm not saying the Government is going to deliberately hurt the foreign-owned mega companies because the government is nationalistic, I'm saying that the difference between the two types of companies becomes even greater and thus having different rules for them is less extreme.

How much do they make on alcohol tax I wonder

With crap like this in the news:

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2010/s2991299.htm

You'd be hard pressed to find a Pollie willing to put their proverbials on a line to help out the "Alcohol" industry.

After reading that the other day I started some research into it and was going to make a thread here called "Know your enemy" but didn't get around to it, so I'll just post it here.

The "independent research company" that came up with that report was starting by the previous government. Interesting I thought so I dug deeper and found out that it's headed by Tim Costello, who is the brother of Peter Costello, and is a baptist minister and generally it seems a high profile wowser type that "does good" constantly with heading up religious charities etc as well.

So IMO it's not a non-biased science company at all, but another company that exists for a purpose then does studies with a desired outcome in mind, which is the definition of a bias.

ANYWAY this is all a moot point. It's like when you have a 50 km/h speed limit on a street, some drunk driving idiot screams down it at 130 km/h and kills a kid, so they reduce the speed limit to 40 km/h.

It's the governments fault for making crappy policies in an attempt to look like they're doing something when they're not.

Thank god I home brew and don't give anywhere near as much 'sin tax' to these wankers.

Stephen Swift from the Aust Brewers Assoc analysed that info, and his net return was that the Alc industry actually tip in more money than what those costs are. Will find the doco in the trade mag and scan in.

Scotty

Latest posts

Back