Forgotten Brews In Kegs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crunched

Reaction score
I've just discovered 2 kegs that are full which I had thought were empty - I couldn't work out what I might have had in them, so I plugged in a tap and had a sample of each. I was pleasantly surprised - one seems to be a golden ale or landlord ale of some sort, with slightly more roast/crystal than most golden ales and a bunch of amarillo/cascade - it's tastes pretty good. The other is a lager, very pale and probably my attempt at a mid-strength I reckon. It is also nice, but has a bit of a pong to it.

I've bung them in the fridge and am hoping for the best when they are cold, but I'm really surprised at how they taste so far.

Anyone else found a long lost keg/box of bottles like this? I would have thought with no temp control at all, these kegs would have been a lost cause?

A keg is really a huge bottle. In my last place the garage was feral as it got all the western sun on the brick side and it would get up to 35 in the summer most days, and was not a good place to store bottled beer. After a few months beers would taste really old, stale and dusty. Not ideal, but SWMBO would not let me store cartons of beer in the spare room. She wouldn't even let me put fermenters in the shower in the ensuite even though we never ever used that particular shower :angry: . Women for you. On the other hand I've had beers kept in the laundry cupboard (= even temp) that I put in there for comps ( "these beers are here because they are for a competition and I need them to be in here and it's just a few bottles") and found some of them a few months later hidden behind the Windex etc and they have been great. I think it boils down to swings in temperature.

. Not ideal, but SWMBO would not let me store cartons of beer in the spare room. She wouldn't even let me put fermenters in the shower in the ensuite even though we never ever used that particular shower :angry: . Women for you.

Not a problem over here. Just gotta put your foot down BribieG, and teach SWMBO to drink beer. Beer everywhere here. 2 fermenters in the lounge warming up, 2 in the spare room cooling down (lager brewing time in Tas 14 degrees today). 3 kegs in the bar ready for filling, other spare room full of 50l container with 250kg of grain.
Back on topic - never had a keg last long enough to be forgotten about, but I do have some bottles just over 8 months old, not forgotten, just haven't got back since going to kegs.
Cheers
david

Same here, never forgotten a keg, bot have done so with bottles. Last one was a big stout that was about a year old. Once I found the bottle and cracked it open (chilled a little of course), I was dissapointed that I didn't leave the whole batch. Some beers NEED to be stored, others get old pretty quick.

How the hell can you forget about a couple of kegs? :icon_drunk: :icon_vomit: :icon_chickcheers:

i did loose a keg of raspberry wheat for 12 months it was damn nice once i found it.

I wish I had enough kegs that I might, one day, find myself in the situation where I might forget about a couple... I'm in the same boat as Lager Bomb... They never quite last that long :D

Plenty of bottles have been forgotten (some quite deliberately) here, but I've only been kegging since May, still racking up a fair keg turn over they seem to last ~1.5weeks on average. Up side is I get to brew lots of beer!

I recently found a box of swing tops from X-mass before last of stout, to say they were good/great would be the understatement of the century! They are the reason I put down this year's X-mass stout last month, in 500ml crown seals....

Anyone seen my glasses?

How the hell can you forget about a couple of kegs? :icon_drunk: :icon_vomit: :icon_chickcheers:

Depends how many you have got 22 20 litre plus two 10 litre and 2 45 litre the odd one goes astray and turns up a year or so later. It normally tastes a lot better than you remember the rest of the batch tasting.
Cheers Altstart

I moved a few years ago and put about 20 bottles of old ale in my grandmothers dark dank cool underground coastal garage and there they stayed and were forgoten about for almost 1.5 years.

I found them and tasted one........ almost fell over at the improvement and it ended up winning a gold medal at AABC.

My best forget ever.

Never forgot a keg........... i drink them quick :)

cheers

i found a 6 pack of lost p.e.t bottles about a month back while i was rummaging through the box of p.e.t bottles to get a couple to store a reused yeast/ make a starter etc, i think they must have been either the first or second brew i ever done because i moved on to glass bottles after about my 3rd brew because i couldn't stand the look of the plastic bottles, (i felt like ned the whino breaking out the plastic bottles of beer for my guests) they were a lager and very strong in alcohol but still quit smooth, which makes me think it was my second brew as it was a toucan of coopers lager and a kilo of dex was a bit rough a month out of the bottle but now a year later and its not too bad at all, and extremely clear and bright in the glass.

Never miss a Keg around here lucky to last a few days

I actively hide them around the house from myself (bottles, kegs are very easy to spot) and its not normally till i go to hide another batch that i find the last Mystery Beer.

must learn to lable one of these days

Still, havent touched the russian imperial "Chernobyl" for at least 6months now, stoic effort ;) Looks like it has cleared to complete inky blackness for which still no light can penetrate.

Grats and rejoice to all Lost Brews that rejoin the flock

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back