Forgotten Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asha05

Reaction score
I have a brew which has been sitting in my fermenting fridge at 2C for about 8 weeks now. Put it in there before i had my knee surgery and totally forgot about it.
Its a tweaked coopers mexican. Had a taste yesterday and is very nice.

Question:

Can i just bulk prime and bottle?

will be fine, coopers mexican is one of my fav coopers kits, i left one in the primary at about 18 degrees for almost 3 months and then kegged it, somehow turned out awesome haha

Can i just bulk prime and bottle?
Yes/no.

After sitting that long at that temperature, mostly all the yeast will have settled or not be in such good shape.
It might pay to add a small amount of fresh yeast and mix it in as you mix in the bulk priming sugar, else you might have trouble with not having enough yeast to condition your beer.

I WISH i had a brew that i'd forgotten about....

I go through them way to quickly for this to ever happen. I simply don't have the willpower to afford me the luxury of forgetting about a batch of beer.

Actually, once i found a couple of stubbies that were at the back of the fridge that i had indeed forgotten about, but never an entire batch or keg. And they were pretty good come to think of it...

It'll be nice and conditioned that's for sure......lucky bugger :icon_cheers:

hmm that will learn me for posting after too many golden ales :/

i mean the beer will be fine, as wolfy said bulk priming is another issue... i put mine in a keg, sorry about missing that!

Yes/no.

After sitting that long at that temperature, mostly all the yeast will have settled or not be in such good shape.
It might pay to add a small amount of fresh yeast and mix it in as you mix in the bulk priming sugar, else you might have trouble with not having enough yeast to condition your beer.

How much fresh yeast would be suitable?

I WISH i had a brew that i'd forgotten about....

I go through them way to quickly for this to ever happen. I simply don't have the willpower to afford me the luxury of forgetting about a batch of beer.

Actually, once i found a couple of stubbies that were at the back of the fridge that i had indeed forgotten about, but never an entire batch or keg. And they were pretty good come to think of it...

It'll be nice and conditioned that's for sure......lucky bugger :icon_cheers:

Its the first one ive forgotten about. Due to my knee surgery wasnt really able to move 23ltrs of brew around, so i forgot about it completly. then ventured into the shed the other day and i heard the fridge and then it hit me...I have a brew in there...Might bottle it and let is sit for summer. Hopefully it will be nice.

How much fresh yeast would be suitable?
1million yeast cells per ml is the recommended rate for bottle conditioning, assuming you are using dry-yeast that will be between 0.5g and 1g for a standard batch (I think, if my numbers are correct).

I found half a keg of something last week. Thought keg was empty sitting in the corner for months. Its a winner, pretty nice, but I cant recall what it is. :rolleyes:
Daz

The yeast should be dormant but not all dead. I'd just run it into your bulk priming vessel and I'm sure the original cloudy runnings into the vessel, that of course mix in with the subsequent clear runnings, would contain enough cells to prime, if you can store the bottles above 15 degrees.

Back