• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

For sale: MORE cascade and chinook rhizomes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got mine yesterday, Thanx mate, potted up and patiently waiting :)

Good to hear everyone's got their deliveries.

It would be good to hear how everyone is potting them or planting them. Perhaps another thread somewhere?

Thanks Benny got mine and potted them in a couple if pots ready to go in the ground after last frost.

long time roamer and recipe thief, first time poster.

Any left? I'll take one of each if possible, in Melbourne so can collect with cash out PayPal.

Planted mine out on Sunday.

Was planning keeping them in the fridge til this endless summer here in Sydney finally disappeared but noticed one had developed a tiny bit of mould so cut off the mouldy bit and planted them all. A few in the garden where they'll stay, one in a big pot, and the rest in smallish pots which I'll transfer to bigger pots/friends' gardens come spring.

I'm not so worried about the cold where I am, more worried about this hot weather and what might happen if the hops get confused by the heat and shoot up before it gets cold.

Just planted mine.... Maybe I took too long, Chinook was a bit fuzzy on the ends.

Hopefully all good.

Next I have to work out what sort of climbing frame/strings to give them.

Mick.

Anyone got pics of how they're doing it? I'm in Melbourne and not sure how deep to plant them... Or maybe I just worry too much.

Apparently 2 to 4 inches, I'm sure someone else can confirm.

I've planted mine at the ends of our grape vine, sturdy wooden posts that I can bolt a big T frame onto... I'll work out the details later, the important thing is that they're in the ground.

Mick

Hi All,

Anyone got any updates? Checked mine yesterday and still nothing coming through, anyone know how long these can take to show?

Cheers

Northkit said:
Hi All,

Anyone got any updates? Checked mine yesterday and still nothing coming through, anyone know how long these can take to show?

Cheers
Likewise - but a bit of a search show they're less than keen to pop if it's still cold & wet (ie - like right now).

I think I did myself a disservice by planting them straight in the ground, and in a place that doesn't quite get direct sunlight for most of a winter day (only just shadowed by the roof line). Probably should have put them in pots somewhere they get full sun. Unfortunately, plants in pots seem to die around me, hence my reluctance to take that path.

I was worried I had planted mine too deep so I *CAREFULLY* removed the covering soil to leave only about 1-2 cm. At least one of the cascade had formed roots, but nothing on the chinook. Unsuprisingly, it's the cascade that gets a bit of sun during the day.

The chinook also had less root buds, and by the time I had planted them the ends had gone a bit fuzzy... so I'm not holding out great hopes.

Wait till it warms up a bit, otherwise if you just can't stand it, carefully check for roots. At least you'll know they're growing.

Mick

Thanks Mick,

I checked one and it looked OK, a few round buds that look ready to go. Did you mean 1-2 inches? I put mine in @ 3 inches which doesn't seem too deep, the soil is loose so they shouldn't have any issue coming through.

Northkit said:
Thanks Mick,

I checked one and it looked OK, a few round buds that look ready to go. Did you mean 1-2 inches? I put mine in @ 3 inches which doesn't seem too deep, the soil is loose so they shouldn't have any issue coming through.
Nah, I did mean 1-2 cm. But my soil has a bit of clay to it, even after mixing in a whole heap of topsoil & chook crap, so I didn't want them too deep.

There was a link I posted somewhere... here we go... in this thread from Chop'n'Brew that Wilkensone pointed me to. I'm farily sure they covered planting depth. Otherwise homebrew forum searches revealed plant depths anywhere between "just toss them on the ground" to "about 6 inches". One to two inches seems to come up the most. Plenty of hits for sites like morebeer and byo if you i-can't-believe-its-a-verb google for "hop rhizome depth".

Anyone who (unlike me) has actually grown them... feel free to chime in. Fairly certain benny has. ^_^

Mick

Sorry all, new baby born recently and it's been a wee bit busy.

Update on stocks: I checked the leftover Chinooks recently and they were mouldy. Seems I stored them too wet. Lesson learnt. No Cascade left.

As for planting, I think you'll be hard pressed to kill them. They love rich soil: ours were planted right next to a compost / worm bin, loved it and went crazy. Try to shade them a little from the sun in the summer (against a fence?). They didn't seem to mind being crowded together, but if you have the space, give them room if only to make it easy to train and harvest. Their main root goes down and can get quite deep.

Any shoots yet anyone?
None here yet, though everything else seems to be sprouting and flowering. Any day now I hope.

Nothing from the cascade yet but the chinook has a 10cm sprout..

Latest posts

Back