• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

For Sale - Hop Rhizomes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dr. Wondering if I could grab 1 of each of these. Could do local pickup if that still works for you.

got my chinook in the letterbox today,

thanks. :icon_chickcheers:

Am interested in one Goldings and one Chinook rizome. If possible postage in the 500gm bag seems possible no?

I planted mine already

see attached pics, firstly dug the ground well to make it soft and friable, added some chook manure but not too much.

dug them in and now wait for warm weather - thanks for the great service DrSmurto was quick and painless

cheers
Tipple

G'day future hop farmers

I have POR and Goldings rhizomes for sale - $10 each plus postage (local pickup in the Adelaide Hills is fine)

Postage will be express post satchel. Payment is via bank transfer (cash on pickup is good).

500g $8.00
3000g $12.00

I should be able to get 2 in a 500g satchel, anymore will require the larger satchel.

I will package each rhizome in coir (or similar) to keep moist. I WILL NOT post to WA or Tas (Quarantine requires more work than i am prepared to put in)

PM me, don't create a list here. I will announce on this thread will they are all accounted for.

Cheers
DrSmurto

p.s I have sold several of these in the past and to date have not heard anything but good things about the quality. If for some reason you are unhappy about the rhizome please PM me first and we will sort it out.

EDIT - these are from very healthy plants - Link

EDIT #2 - I wont be checking this thread or my PM inbox every few mins (nor will i be responding to every PM) so until i post here to say the hops are all accounted for assume you are on the list for a hop. I'll contact everyone later in the week, possibly next week with bank details and will go from there.

well_dug_soil_and_rhizome_bag.jpg

speedy_delivery.jpg

three_rhizomes.jpg

planting_out.jpg

hop_delivery.jpg

final_planting.jpg

Hi Tipple, nice pics. Happy they arrived save and sound. Looks like they are trying to shoot already, crazy plants that they are!

I contemplated sending out instructions with each package but the article on hop growing on this site is more than detailed enough - see here - Link

What i will add is that you should plant rhizomes of a different variety a minimum of 2m apart. Yes, 2 whole metres apart. Similar varieties can be planted closer together. So i suggest, nay insist, you dig them up and space them out. Within 12 months if left like that you will find they are tangled up and you will have no way of distinguishing them from each other.

My 4 year old plants cover areas of up to 1.5m in diameter and only by removing all the outer roots with shoots (which is what you now have) can i keep them under control and stop them from invading my vegie patch. I should have prefaced that by saying my hops are planted 10m from a creek so undoubtely have their feet in the water table or close to it. They grow up to 30cm a day in the height of the growing season.

Once in the ground think of them as weeds, if supplied with enough water they will grow at a rapid rate both above and below the ground.

The rhizomes arrived safe n sound a couple of days ago. Thanks DrSmurto! :icon_cheers:

Similar varieties can be planted closer together.

Do you mean that if they were to grow in such a way as to be indistinguishable that you could simply harvest and use them together?

Do you mean that if they were to grow in such a way as to be indistinguishable that you could simply harvest and use them together?

Sorry, what i meant was the same varieties can be planted close together, not similar.

I can distinguish some cones of different varieties (POR is generally darker and longer than the others but Cascade and Chinook look identical to my untrained eye) but i wouldnt put an ironclad guarantee on it.

At even the 2m gap i have between varieties i spend far too much time each year untangling them from one another.

I'll have one of each :) (1 POR, 1 Chinook)

Thanks
Wraith

I'm on the Central Coast NSW, just wondering if you know of anyone over here who is growing them and if it is worthwhile in this area? Would love to grab some but don't want to waste my time. I've had a look at the growing requirements and have a large vege patch so I don't have too many drama's growing plants in general. I've got the perfect spot for them to go and an old hills hoist which I plan on using the arms of to make a tall trellis but unfortunately most of what I read have me being too far North, I live in hope.....

DrS

THis might sound silly... But would it be possible to plant these in a half wine barrel....? I just relocated some herbs and have a half wine barrel doing sweet F.A...

DrS

THis might sound silly... But would it be possible to plant these in a half wine barrel....? I just relocated some herbs and have a half wine barrel doing sweet F.A...

cant remember where but recently (perhaps the 2010 hop plantations thread) saw someone doing this with good result.

You should be good to go I should think

Yob

I'm on the Central Coast NSW, just wondering if you know of anyone over here who is growing them and if it is worthwhile in this area? Would love to grab some but don't want to waste my time. I've had a look at the growing requirements and have a large vege patch so I don't have too many drama's growing plants in general. I've got the perfect spot for them to go and an old hills hoist which I plan on using the arms of to make a tall trellis but unfortunately most of what I read have me being too far North, I live in hope.....

Sold several to queenslanders and from the hop plantation threads there are many from more north than you successfully growing hops. I like the idea of the hills hoist, mine is being ripped out (eventually) and i have always thought it would make a great trellis.

DrS

I recommend using the largest pot possible if not planting them in the ground so 1/2 wine barrels are perfect. I would only plant 1 rhizome per barrel though so if you have more plants, invest in more barrels!

Latest posts

Back