• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

For Sale - Hop Rhizomes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a heads up, I've started posting these out as funds clear but there are still a lot left.

Some of you might find 2 rhizomes in the 1 bag and wonder whether i cant count. Some of the rhizomes were smaller than others and to try and be fair i doubled up those i felt were slighlty undersized. That being said, the smallest ones are bigger than those i sold last year so you will have no trouble getting them to grow.

Thanks DrSmurto, arrived today.

Goldings will go in next to Goldings I got from Boston last year and that can be the S.A. in Vic Goldings (SAV Goldings) section. The rhizome is huge.

The POR will find a home somewhere as yet unspecified.

Cheers.

Made my life more difficult this year by leaving the rhizomes quite large. To keep each one under 250g including the damp coir has been a challenge but i wanted to be able to give people the option of 1 of each in the 500g express post bag.

I don't suppose these can be sent to Tassie. :(

Sorry Spork. WA and Tas have quarantine laws that require me to fill out paperwork.

If i was selling them at a nice profit i would have no trouble putting the extra effort in.

There are AHBers in Tassie who are growing hops so maybe ask around and see if someone can supply you. The other alternative is to wait until the people from WA start selling as they seem to be able to send to anywhere (assuming they are doing it by the book)

fairy nuff Doc, thats what I thought.
Just so happens as a result of this thread another Taswegian AHB'er with some spare rhizomes has contacted me, so all good. :)

The eagles have landed! Cheers Dr, just the prescription I was needing. I can already see an English rye ipa with the fruits of the next harvest, and perhaps a killla rye-laga as well. Big ups rye doctor!

Another batch of parcels will be winging their way around the country this afternoon.

And yes, this is simply an excuse for another fat arse BUMP! Plenty of rhizomes left people.

I was wondering what types of beers you use the Goldings in? I am thinking of growing a hop plant or two but I cant decide on which variety to go for, so damn many.

Cheers

I was wondering what types of beers you use the Goldings in? I am thinking of growing a hop plant or two but I can’t decide on which variety to go for, so damn many.

Cheers
A fair few English styles like, try a pale ale and join the sail and anchor comp :kooi:

Does anyone know where to get rhizomes from in WA? Love to get some in the ground but I'm not having much luck with finding a source.

I was wondering what types of beers you use the Goldings in? I am thinking of growing a hop plant or two but I cant decide on which variety to go for, so damn many.

Cheers

Goldings - English bitters, milds, brown porters
POR - aussie pale ales, dark ales, porters, stouts. Even goes well in a golden ale.

It seems timely to point out that the rhizomes are sent via express post.

One of the reasons i do this is so that they can be tracked.

I keep all the tracking numbers so if anyone has an issue it can be resolved. It covers both the buyer and seller.

And for the record, i charge $8 for a 500g express post satchel. Those who post things regularly will notice the discrepancy in what i charge and what it costs me (I buy them in lots of 10). :icon_cheers:

Thanks for the fast delivery.

Just one question i had these in my beer fridge and it seems they got very cold and nearly froze :(

i have sinced thawed them out and put in a not so cold fridge.'

Do you think they'll still be ok or have i killed them?

Just one question i had these in my beer fridge and it seems they got very cold and nearly froze :(

If you still have some in about a fortnight, I'd love to grab one of each! Can you put me on the "backup" list?

:)

They survive the frosts in the Adelaide Hills that at times look like snow so I'd say you will be fine. It takes a lot of skill to kill a hop so you'll have to do better than a slight freeze!

If you still have some in about a fortnight, I'd love to grab one of each! Can you put me on the "backup" list?

:)

No worries, I have you down for 1 of each of the 3 varieties. I'll send you a PM with payment info.

Was looking at descriptions of various hops here -> http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/default.asp?CID=17

DrSmurto, would you say your Goldings are like the East Kent Goldings as described on that page:
* (AA 5.2%) The No1 flavour/aroma hop in English bitters. Floral & fragrant.

or more like the NZ Goldings:
* (AA 10.5%) From a very old cultivar, grown in New Zealand. Traditional aroma variety, smooth almost sweet, delicate, slightly spicy

Thanks.

Was looking at descriptions of various hops here -> http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/default.asp?CID=17

DrSmurto, would you say your Goldings are like the East Kent Goldings as described on that page:
* (AA 5.2%) The No1 flavour/aroma hop in English bitters. Floral & fragrant.

or more like the NZ Goldings:
* (AA 10.5%) From a very old cultivar, grown in New Zealand. Traditional aroma variety, smooth almost sweet, delicate, slightly spicy

Thanks.

I'd say they are fruitier than traditional EKG, i get hints of tangerine and they are definitely floral and fragrant. Of course, that probably only applies to Goldinsg grown in my backyard as the soil at your place (which influences the flavour/aroma profile) which be very different to mine which is black and very rich. Perfect for all the orchards (cherry, apple, pear) in the area.

Never used NZ goldings but haven't heard good enough things about them to bother. A bit like NZ styrian goldings, and NZ Fuggles, pale versions of the original.

Back