Food Grade Eskys

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gulpa

Reaction score
Looking for a new mash tun. BigW has some good specials. How do I tell if an esky is food grade plastic inside?

Thanks
Andrew.

I would assume they are food grade anyway....as they are designed to hold food....either way you won't die from using it.....other wise there would be alot of dead brewers from this forum.

I would assume they are food grade anyway....as they are designed to hold food....either way you won't die from using it.....other wise there would be alot of dead brewers from this forum.

Yeah. I know. Im just concerned becuase the one Im using obviously isnt (distorting with mash heat). I dont want to spend $100+ if it isnt food grade.

cheers
Andrew.

Yeah. I know. Im just concerned becuase the one Im using obviously isnt (distorting with mash heat). I dont want to spend $100+ if it isnt food grade.

cheers
Andrew.

I dont think any eskys are designed to hold hot liquid and from what i've read a lot will distort over time. I think as long as it still keeps your mash at temperature its all good.

cheers
Andrew.

Just because it distorts under heat doesnt mean its not food grade...well I assume.

If you apply heat to a food grade take away food containter they distort..... Food grade and heat resistance is a different ball game I would assume.

It may however be that it is food grade under particular conditions.

If you are really concerned contact the manufacture e.g. willow. they will be able to give you the specs of the plastic.

Thanks guys. Dont remember where I heard the foodgrade/distort thingy but its been in my mind a while. Maybe I will contact the maker.

Damn. I hope you havent talked me out of buying new stuff for the brewery. :eek:

cheers
Andrew

Look on ebay, they have 70L and 100L eskies around the $120 mark.

They also have a line in the advertisement about it being able to put hot stuff in it..

Latest posts

Back