Food Gardening

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F1 is a hybrid ?

Edit: Just had a Google - they look great ...

Anyhoos ... It must be beer o'clock on a Friday. I'm running low on my fav American Pale. Need to brew tonight !

Last edited:
Nice to see my native bees getting to work on my peach tree:

20180729_124433 (Custom).jpg
20180729_124520 (Custom).jpg

F1 is a hybrid ?

Edit: Just had a Google - they look great ...

Anyhoos ... It must be beer o'clock on a Friday. I'm running low on my fav American Pale. Need to brew tonight !
Yes F1 is hybrid means First born, was in Bunnings earlier came across Sweet Aperitif from Johnsons,
13 on the brix scale.

Hey all,

I am very new to growing some food plants. Had chillies for a few years, some berries and herbs.
Last year I planted my first hops and had a decent crop. Can't wait until this years harvest.

In the meantime, I have a nice little spot in the garden where I WAS going to plant more hops. This is a sunny spot with about 2metres of climbing trellis. Anyone have thoughts of what food plant would grow there? Have been thinking of some sort of bean, but open to any suggestions.

Feel free to post your own food crops to inspire :)
Grapes

300 tomato seeds planted and into the germination chamber at 24C with a 12/12h on/off cycle for the LED grow lights. I'll be selling them as advanced seedlings in spring as part of my business with part proceeds going to my local CFS crew. Getting up to 100% germination rates using this system, the second photo shows snowpea seedlings 11 days after planting seeds.
20180731_164929.jpeg
IMG_20180730_120733_212.jpeg

I like spinach Quinny, but I hope you aren't a vegan, I was reading in The New Scientist that the iron locked in spinach and other greens are really hard to extract by the digestive system, lots of factors come into play whether you have a cup of tea will reduce the iron intake from meals. Would be great with liver win win.:)

Just to add, we bought 10 bags of sheep poop this afternoon to put on all the fruit trees... Need to go back and get another 10 bags tomorrow ...

I have Mandarin going berserk, Grapefruit absolutely stacked and not allowed to eat because of medication, Goji Berries, though one of the plants may have fallen off its perch, limes which I will be making lemon curd with, will be spraying my stone fruit apples and pears within the next couple of weeks. Looking forward to the coming seasons.:)

I have Mandarin going berserk,

Our mandarin finished fruiting a few weeks back & we cut it back a fair bit ... damn thing is coming out in flower again !

limes which I will be making lemon curd

Recipe ? ... Our lime - same as the mandarin - flowering like crazy, still with a heap of fruit on.

will be spraying my stone fruit apples and pears

My peach has just finished flowering with new fruit forming ... do you think it's too late to spray? What do you use - some copper based solution?

You should see my tomatoes ! :) I'll post up some photos when I get a chance.

Wonder if the bees have something to do with it ...

I think your locality has something to do with it, I have always been wanting to get into bees, wife isn't keen, there are still bees hanging around our garden at this time of year in Victoria. I could put hives on the roof not so much bothered about a return from honey, just like the idea they are there.
My work these days are setting up vegetable gardens and the area I work in has a large bee population nothing better that working in a garden which is full of bees.

Lol your gardens make my poor neglected veg patch look sad.

I did have a nice surprise while cleaning up one of my raised beds for spring planting.

Thought the waste potato trimming hadn't done anything as the above ground part
never really took off.

Nice little find !

Do any of you Vic boys grow stone fruits (plums, apricots etc.) for spirits ?

[Edit] errr ... That's illegal isn't it ... please disregard.

Back