Font On Chest Freezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davelovesbeer

Reaction score
I am just setting up my new bar - 4 tap flooded font on a 250L chest freezer. I just have a couple of questions on how others have done this.

To attach the font to the freezer lid, I was going to attach some plywood to the top just to pretty it up a bit, but then wondering if it was best to:

- Attach the font through the wood and lid (including the foamy/insulation stuff), but were concerned this may get squishy and the font become loose.

- Do the same as above, but maybe get some plastic pipe to stop it squashing

- Remove the insulation (just for the area the font is going to sit in), and attach the font just to the wood/metal of the lid

Also for flooding the font, I was just going to use chilled water kept inside the fridge, and a pond pump, which I think I saw other people have used. Just wondering what size (L/hr) pump people use?

The best thing about this project is the font and freezer only cost $70 all up

I didn't, but seriously considered doing this with my font onto freezer.

Decent sized wooden square/rectangle with font attached to that.... and strong rare earth magnets to hold the wood to the freezer top. That way your font etc is easily removable without any disassembly. Might never need it... but if you do you have it.

Just an idea

good price, nah Great Price.

for me I went straight through the lid.

My font's aren't flooded, but from comments I've seen a 1500 ltr/hour ($30-$40) ones do fine. The only other thing I've seen is not to run the pump all the time, use it "to impress" or start-it up 30 minutes before you get home, then stop it. Otherwise the water get's too warm and it may cause the freezer to keep running, or you could connect it up to you tempmate, so that way it's running when the compressor is ?

good luck.

any pump will do fine, dont really need high flow through there. In fact, slower flow may even be more efficient. I have mine on an external switch so I'd turn it off when I knew I wasn't going to be using it. Otherwise yes, it does get warm pretty quickly.

Re attaching it, I had mine bolted to my drip tray which was very sturdy, and the drip tray was held on by a bolt in each corner. If you went straight through the lid having plastic pipe there would be the same as doing it straight onto the steel top with no insulation. Depending how thick the steel sheet was, you could get a fair bit of flex. With a big slab of plywood or whatever on top I think it wouldn't be a problem, go straight through the lid and plywood together in one hit.

Latest posts

Back