Font Mounted On Freezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RetsamHsam

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a six tap andale font which I planned onmounting on my bar, however it is too large for the bar and I am now thinking of mounting ontop of my freezer.

Question is, the font is fairly heavy and I am worried the freezer door will not be strong enough to support the font (mainly when opening the lid) .. Has anyone else got any experience with this?

This has been done by others on AHB...personally I have not done it but if you are concerned about the strength of the lid you could always reinforce it by taking the lining off the lid and placing a sheet of timber over it to spread the load...this should stop the font from wanting to pull itself out of the lid. Don't forget if you put the font on a freezer lid you will need ample space behind it for the font to stick out...you will have a hell of a time trying to move a freezer full of beer...especially if it can hold 6 taps worth.

If you are worried about the hinges when the lid is open I would suggest building some sort of support on the back of the freezer where the hinges are to spread the load...maybe you could attach a bit of a bar top to the other side that would support the lid when open...and when closed support your beer glass.

Anyway all food for thought.

Pok

i have stood on my freezer lid and shes still ok :) i think a font will be ok

I did it with a smaller font, but my font was bolted to a big drip tray to catch condensation, and the drip tray was bolted to the freezer door, kinda spreading the load. The freezer loved it, gave it a different feel when opening closing, but didnt stress it out. Make sure you pull it away from the wall before you open it though, mine was line up perfectly so that when i opened the freezer lid, it could open all the taps simultaneously because the handles hit the wall first :p

Make sure you pull it away from the wall before you open it though, mine was line up perfectly so that when i opened the freezer lid, it could open all the taps simultaneously because the handles hit the wall first :p

:lol:

Thanks for the replies guys, I might put a metal plate under the lid to spread the load..

Hi All,

I have a six tap andale font which I planned onmounting on my bar, however it is too large for the bar and I am now thinking of mounting ontop of my freezer.

Question is, the font is fairly heavy and I am worried the freezer door will not be strong enough to support the font (mainly when opening the lid) .. Has anyone else got any experience with this?

Have a look at post #1106 here

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...ont&st=1100

I just bolted some 20mm planks of pine to the freezer lid, stained and varnished, drill through that and the freezer lid and your've got a nice strong mounted font.

Gives you a nice work top when pouring beers as well.

Batz

I put a strip of hardwood under mine. Will eventually cover the whole thing in kwila/merbau.
Also made up a bit of a washer out of hardwood on the underside. carefully cut out the insulation, inserted the washer then reinstalled the insulation.

Gregor

IMG_1439.jpg
IMG_1438.jpg

Back