Font Mounted Counter Pressure Filler.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One advantage of the $99 CPBF is that you can cut a few assorted lengths of plastic tube to slip over the 'spear' to fit all your favourite glass bottles.

I agree on that point but I think the fact that it's a F#$ken PITA to operate outways the positives. :angry:

:icon_cheers:

Paul

I agree on that point but I think the fact that it's a F#$ken PITA to operate outways the positives. :angry:

Paul

Yes if it wasn't for Tidal Pete's engineering genius I reckon mine would be gathering dust.
cpbf1__Large_.jpg

it's a F#$ken PITA to operate outways the positives. :angry:

Paul

Yep ive used the normal type and hated it, the new one works a treat and easy to operate

The reason it only works on PET bottles is because of the wide plastic neck ring below the thread, it uses this to lock it into the unit, so any bottle without that wont lock in.

Kleiny

Yep ive used the normal type and hated it, the new one works a treat and easy to operate

The reason it only works on PET bottles is because of the wide plastic neck ring below the thread, it uses this to lock it into the unit, so any bottle without that wont lock in.

Kleiny

Maybe it wouldn't be too hard to make up a surclip/collar or something to slip glass bottles into that the device would be able to grab. I shall experiemtn when I get it.

Great to hear it does the job though Kleiny - I have no issue with PET bottles for fast and dirty botling. I have my stand alone CP filler if I really want to do a bottling run in glass.

Does it have the feature (like the Pegas one) where you can screw a tap into the front of it so you don't lose a tap space??

I am 99% sure I've seen a PET bottle with your batz brewery sticker on it!

Yes a swap a long, long, time ago :p

I will never serve my beer from them, their so unbeery.

Batz

I bet I didn't serve my beer out of it either, I gave it to someone else ;)

Batz

Looks like a better solution than most other counter pressure devices, how many hands do you need to operate the tap?

If you have a spare hand to hold the bottle, it shouldn't be too hard to use an adaptor that replicates the neck of a pet bottle like the one below.

Adaptor.jpg

Does it have the feature (like the Pegas one) where you can screw a tap into the front of it so you don't lose a tap space??

Yep it has the same size thread coming out the front of the unit i just didnt realise what it was for.

have you tried with glass bottles ? I assume he "crown seal lip" is not "big enough ?

I tried with all the bottles i have the collar just doesnt grab any bottle other than the PET, Im sure a adaptor could be made i have not had the time to look into it and im happy bottleing acouple into Plastic just to take around the place.

Kleiny

Yep it has the same size thread coming out the front of the unit i just didnt realise what it was for.

Kleiny

Cool, that means I can install it into one of my existing tap spaces and still be able to run 4 kegs out of my kegerator. If I am feeling enthusiastic.. I might even rig a manifold so that any of the kegs can be directed through that particular font by turning a couple of levers.

OK - I've given this thing a run and installed it (sort of) into my keggerator.

It doesn't fit my fonts and I think it would look a bit silly hanging way out in front anyway - So I'll either buy an appropriate font for it or just rig one. It essentially has a through fridge style shank, so even just a length of stainless/chrome pipe would do nicely.

But, seeing as I have to open my keggerator to put the line onto whichever keg I want to fill from anyway. I figured a temporary solution would be nearly as good.

So here it is.

Here you can see the inside of my keggerator - the lump of wood is the CP filler assembly sitting in a convenient space waiting.PET_filler_1.JPG

And here it is in place. The spare liquid QD gets popped onto whichever keg I want to fill from, and while you cant see it, the CP filler's gas line runs to a second outlet (ball valved) from my regulator. So you drop the filler into place, click on the QD and turn on the gas. 20 seconds total.

PET_filler_2.JPG

And when you use it.. its basically hands free. You clip in the bottle, lift the lever to gas up, turn it to the left and lift to turn on the liquid, turn on the gas bleed. I was filling today and can do a bottle while holding a beer in my other hand... and the phone rang in the middle of one fill, so I turned one little knob, walked away and when I came back, continued where I left off. The only bit where you need two hands is screwing on the lid of the bottle.

Easiest CP filler ever !!!

I have mentally worked out an adapter for doing glass bottles. One bored afternoon, a bit of chopping board and some work with the dremmel will see a little adapter just slide into it. Wont do champagne bottles though, they are too wide to fit.

Good buy for me - it fits the purpose I bought it for exactly. Filling bottle for taking to parties etc. I will happily send bottles to comp in PET.. but I would prefer glass, so I will do the adaptor eventually. So it'll pretty much fill all my bottle filling needs and its damn easy to use.

TB

Great post Thirsty, I purchased one about a month ago & haven't got around to setting it up yet.

Paul

thanks for that, if you get an adaptor would be great to see it in action.

Hopefully an adapter and grolsh bottle would work. Unless the Grolsh bottles are too wide at the rim ?

thanks
Matt

OK - I've given this thing a run and installed it (sort of) into my keggerator.

It doesn't fit my fonts and I think it would look a bit silly hanging way out in front anyway - So I'll either buy an appropriate font for it or just rig one. It essentially has a through fridge style shank, so even just a length of stainless/chrome pipe would do nicely.

But, seeing as I have to open my keggerator to put the line onto whichever keg I want to fill from anyway. I figured a temporary solution would be nearly as good.

So here it is.

Here you can see the inside of my keggerator - the lump of wood is the CP filler assembly sitting in a convenient space waiting.View attachment 39389

And here it is in place. The spare liquid QD gets popped onto whichever keg I want to fill from, and while you cant see it, the CP filler's gas line runs to a second outlet (ball valved) from my regulator. So you drop the filler into place, click on the QD and turn on the gas. 20 seconds total.

View attachment 39390

And when you use it.. its basically hands free. You clip in the bottle, lift the lever to gas up, turn it to the left and lift to turn on the liquid, turn on the gas bleed. I was filling today and can do a bottle while holding a beer in my other hand... and the phone rang in the middle of one fill, so I turned one little knob, walked away and when I came back, continued where I left off. The only bit where you need two hands is screwing on the lid of the bottle.

Easiest CP filler ever !!!

I have mentally worked out an adapter for doing glass bottles. One bored afternoon, a bit of chopping board and some work with the dremmel will see a little adapter just slide into it. Wont do champagne bottles though, they are too wide to fit.

Good buy for me - it fits the purpose I bought it for exactly. Filling bottle for taking to parties etc. I will happily send bottles to comp in PET.. but I would prefer glass, so I will do the adaptor eventually. So it'll pretty much fill all my bottle filling needs and its damn easy to use.

TB

Mate great post thank you. You inspired me to buy one, but unfortunately did not come with destructions. Have worked most of it out but what pressure do you set the reg at to fill?

Cheers
Thorby

It depends a little - once again, filling for parties etc I am less fussy than filing for long term storage or comp.

Filling for a party.... Whatever your erg is already at. Assuming you are running a balanced legging system, all your keg internal pressures and thie erg pressure should be the same... Just leave em there and it works fine.

Filling for comp etc.... I'll turn everything up by a few psi, let it settle in for 5 or 10 minutes, then fill. The small amount of over pressure really keeps foaming down and ensures that even the minimal carbonation loos you get with a CP filler is compensated for. In erased pressure when purging also reduces the oxygen levels even further (although only a tiny little bit I admit)

TB

Evening All,

I have just used mine tonight for the first time and let me tell ya very impressed. Beer in one hand, machine in the other and what an absolute pleasure to use. Anyone thinking about buying one, do it they are just the ducks guts.

Cheers And A Few More Portable Beers

I really want one I jost need one to fill glass bottles (more importantly grolsch bottles)/

cheers
Matt

I really want one I jost need one to fill glass bottles (more importantly grolsch bottles)/

cheers
Matt

Unless you do some major engineering works on it, these units will not play with grolsch bottles no matter what sort of adaptor anyone makes... The top bit of the grolsch bottle is too tall to fit inside the clamping mechanism. I really wanted grolsch bottles to work too... But just can't see any way they could be made to.

Latest posts

Back