Foaming Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saturn

Reaction score
hi guys

I put down a brew yesterday

2 x cans of coopers stout
500 gm of corn syrup
10 ml of licourice extract

Filled to 23 litres

I pitched both yeast packets that came with the cans

Fementation started pretty quick(about 2 hours)

This morning the brew has built up an enormous foam and it is escaping through the airlock. It looks like a spider or wotches brew gone wrong

Does anyone know what is happening and is it spoiled?

It is probably just a very active ferment. It will probably be ok. You may want to add a blow off tube if it keeps up that kind of activity. What temperature is it fermenting at?

saturn said:
Going at mid 20's this morning
[post="106788"][/post]​
You should be ok then. It may have been a little warm to start with which is why it is very active. Also by pitching two yeast packets you have heaps in there. I'm sure it will be fine.

This is common with Coopers darker ales and stout kits.

Years ago I did one similar and the airlock blocked up , sometime during the night the pressure build up and.........whoa! mess all over the ceiling of the laundry.

Didn't go down real well with SWMBO :eek:

Batz

Thanks Batz

Once cleaned and bottled how did it go?

I think old son you might have used to mucho yeast,having said that I would like to be around for the tasting. If it overflows to much hire a couple of pugs to slurp up the excess,and dont be a worry wort.

according to "designing great beers", the amount of yeast you pitched is fine, it's just a characteristic of Coopers dark kits.
Should be a lovely Stout but I'd still try to get that temp back to 20C.

Last July I did a toucan Coopers Stout with 500gm Brown Sugar, and a little bit of grain added ( left over odds and sods, melanoidin, carapils, Caraaroma, total wt. 200g). Used 1084 Irish Ale yeast, went off like a rocket, blew through the airlock. I was getting ready to call in Scully and Mulder from the X Files, the ferment was supernatural. Finished brew was (and still is) GREAT.

Cheers
Brad T

Dear littlew6

Excellent advice Dad

I can see why I have to rely on the advice of strangers :D

saturn said:
Thanks Batz

Once cleaned and bottled how did it go?
[post="106805"][/post]​

It was fine

Batz

I had the same thing happen with my first Coopers Stout.
The next stout I did I followed everyones recommendation and fitted a blow off tube, works a treat.

Never ever have a problem with the stout foaming up so much at that it comes out the airlock, always comes close but never over and out.

:)
Daintysquid said:
Never ever have a problem with the stout foaming up so much at that it comes out the airlock, always comes close but never over and out.
[post="107498"][/post]​

aHHA KITMASTER
to get this unique action you have to use two packs of yeast
:p

Latest posts

Back