Foam Control Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirsty Boy

ICB - tight shorts and poor attitude. **** yeah!
Reaction score
I like this gear... starters are a breeze, double batches dont end up the floor when I am boiling, my 25L fementors hold a few more useful litres than they did before.....

But does the stuff carry over between steps??

If there are 5 or six drops in my kettle, will that last till the fermentor? will the few drops in my starter do the trick for the fermentor?? and more importantly, if it does carry over (I have so far assumed it doesn't) will all the separate additions add up to a point where it might do the beer some harm??

TB

No answers yet Thirsty Boy because NOBODY has a clue what you are on about !!

not Starsan is it ? Olive Oil ?

ummm.... foam control, like the topic says???

I figured he was talking about Dimethylpolysiloxane, personally I prefer the Hop based anti foaming agent, as I know for sure it isn't going to get out of the kettle and into my beer.

But I wasn't going to say anything to anyone who can work anthropomorphising into a sentence

MHB

I figured he was talking about Dimethylpolysiloxane, MHB

Really? What a load of crap. When in doubt blow some bullshit more like it.

According to the Brew Strong Podcast, also good to use when boiling starter wort in erlenmeyer flasks.

Screwy

Perhaps ignorance is bliss

From the how to use leaflet accompanying my last delivery of Anti Foam Agent, I suspect that TB got the joke even if you didnt.

DESCRIPTION A food grade emulsion designed to reduce foaming during fermentation by reducing the surface tension of the wort. This allows for more efficient use of the fermenter without the risk of foam overflow.

Under normal brewing conditions ANTIFOAM AGENT is adsorbed onto the fermenter walls, spent yeast and filter media and is therefore completely removed from the beer before packaging. This product will not degrade the head in finished beer.

ANTIFOAM AGENT can also be used in the kettle to avoid boil-overs.

PHYSICAL FORM Milky, slightly viscous liquid emulsion

ACTIVE INGREDIENT DimethylPolysiloxane (E900)

SPECIFICATION Active Ingredient 20%

PH 3.2-5.5

Microbiological

T.V.C. : <5,000/ml

E coli : absent in 25g

Salmonella : absent in 25g

Yeast & Moulds : <200/ml

DOSE RATE Use approx 10ml/100L of beer adding to the fermenter prior to pitching the yeast. Actual dose rate is dependent on the surface area on the top of the fermenter.

DISPENSE SUGGESTION Add ANTIFOAM AGENT to approx. 10 times its weight of water and shake well. Add to fermentation vessel using a spray bottle to disperse solution on top of wort.

For use in the kettle, simply add to wort prior to the commencement of boiling.

STORAGE/SHELF LIFE Store in a cool dry place. Best Before Expiry (BBE) is 12 months from date of manufacture. See pack for expiry date.

PACKAGING 1Kg net, plastic container with screw cap lid.

LEGAL STATUS DimethylPolysiloxane (E900) is an approved anti-foaming agent under FSANZ regulations.

I want a pony

Got in first hey?

Under normal brewing conditions ANTIFOAM AGENT is adsorbed onto the fermenter walls, spent yeast and filter media and is therefore completely removed from the beer before packaging. This product will not degrade the head in finished beer.

The bit in question^

I would like a pony too

Thanks Mark - my bottle didn't even come with a suggested dose. I got that info from AHB.

What do you think, will a boil addition carry over to the fermentor? or will it drop out and new will need to be added?

Sorry I wasn't more specific about the compound... it had been getting a reasonable amount of discussion on AHB recently and I assumed people would know what I meant.

I'm trying to cut down on my average number of syllables.... but I just love them big words. Chemical compounds are cheating though - too easy

QUOTE (MHB @ Feb 13 2009, 07:43 PM)

Well if under normal brewing conditions (commercial) the final traces are removed by filter media, then i guess in the Homebrew situation where we don't use a filter media, it could well end up in the final beer?

Cheers Ross

From what I have been able to find out, in a commercial brewery its just a non-issue because it sticks to DE in the filters like the proverbial to a blanket.

That cleans up any traces that make it from the fermenter.

For home brewers its just a bit more problematic, traces will kill the head stone dead.

More of an issue when used for foam control in the fermenter rather than the kettle.

If you take care when racking not to draw the film from the surface of the fermenter there should be no problem.

Like I said I prefer the Hop Antifoam, it all ends up in the kettle trub and none caries over to the fermenter.

No question about how effective it is, first time I poured a teaspoon of it into a kettle with 200 mm of foam on top I felt like Moses parting the red sea.

MHB

PS Just a thought

I wonder if it affects the uptake of O2 in a starter, no problem if you are using an air-stone, but if you are relying on natural uptake like on a stir plate, Im not so sure.

M

Ross

Posted Today, 09:47 PM Well if under normal brewing conditions (commercial) the final traces are removed by filter media, then i guess in the Homebrew situation where we don't use a filter media, it could well end up in the final beer?

Cheers Ross

Exactly my concern

I like what this stuff does, I just don't trust it.

MHB

The bit in question^

I would like a pony too

Good to see you again my friend
If we get a pony we can share it

Batz

well, I used it in the fermenter for my last beer and there was no issue with head retention.... but I filter - except that I am using a pleated polyester filter... so does that get it all out? or is it the fact that it sticks to the keiselguhr that removes it?

Anyway.. I like the white goo so far, and when I think I need it, I'll keep on using it till I discover an issue - I just put 22L of American wheat into the fermentor with a dose of it, there was a little in the starter, but none in the kettle this time. Normally wouldn't need it, but have a couple of extra litres in there this time and want to avoid a mess.

Still no thoughts on whether it carries over from kettle to fermentor??

Pretty high micro count too... I wouldn't add that to a fermenter. Might be OK in a kettle.

I have used the stuff from Morebeer in the states, dont know which type it is but no problems in the kettle or the fermenter.Good head retention etc in finished beer.[FREE] Good idea when boiling is to have a spray bottle full of water set on mist, just give the boil foam a spray and its gone. Cheap ass way! Patent pending. :D
GB

Who said Google is your friend ?

After watching Episode 5 of Lost <_<

Got the thread going though didn't I ? even if on the starboard tack.

Back