Floating Yeast In Finished Beer ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouapp12

Reaction score
i did a coopers apa that turned out quite nice

but i just opened a bottle and after i poured some of it out chunks of yeast rose to the top, most of it is still at the bottom but its now considerably more cloudy and im considerably more confused

so what happened?

EDIT: its been in the bottles for about 7 weeks

i did a coopers apa that turned out quite nice

but i just opened a bottle and after i poured some of it out chunks of yeast rose to the top, most of it is still at the bottom but its now considerably more cloudy and im considerably more confused

so what happened?

EDIT: its been in the bottles for about 7 weeks

I assumed your using re-cultured coopers yeast? Chunks of yeast float around in the commericial coopers bottles too so I wouldn't be too worried. How do you like your coopers? Do you roll / mix the yeast or do you leave the sediment at the bottom? I reckon it tastes alot better if you evenly mix the yeast throughtout the bottle. That's my 2c worth :icon_cheers:

What often happens is that when beer is very fizzy, you pop the top and release the pressure - the gas tries to come out of solution and the yeast at the bottom provides a great set of nucleation sites - Gas forms bubbles around little bits of yeast that are sticking up from the general yeast cake, the bubbles stick and rise to the surface carrying the bit of yeast with them, this makes the surface of the yeast cake a bit rougher, which makes more nucleation sites.... etc etc etc.

You can try to combat this a couple of ways - first, leave your beer bottles in the fridge for as long as possible before opening, this sticks the yeast more firmly together and to the bottom, so it wont float to the top when you open the bottle. second - get the beer colder before you open the bottle - that way less gas will come out of solution and the beer will fizz less, dragging less yeast up with the bubbles.

You also need to pour the whole bottle out in one go - no tipping back and forwards. Empty a tallie into a jug rather than several glasses, or a stubbie needs to go into a glass that will hold the whole thing

Little things, but they might help. Hope so.

Cheers

TB

actually piraterum i used the yeast that came with the apa kit, i wouldn't be surprised if its the yeast they use on theirs though, with .5 KG of LME tastes damn close to the green coopers
and yea its kinda nice with the yeast, so long as your not having allot of it, it can cause problems the next day

thanks for the info Thirsty Boy, sounds like a good excuse to get a new bigger stein :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back